Those fine lines and that dry skin are a sign that we’ve gotten older, and hopefully wiser. There’s only one problem – they make it hard to enjoy flawless makeup. If your foundation seems to settle into lines and pores, you need the best setting powders for mature skin. It will smooth the surface without emphasizing the parts you’d rather hide.
Is loose powder or pressed powder better for mature skin? This isn’t as tough a decision as you might think. The format of the powder isn’t as important as the ingredients. Unless you have oily skin, we recommend avoiding any powder that is labeled as “matte” or “mattifying”. These absorb oil and emphasize dryness. Instead, look for a powder that is finely milled with light-reflecting minerals. The trick is to blur the skin’s appearance.
In summary, it doesn’t matter if you want the best finishing powder or the best pressed powder for mature skin, you have lots of options right here:
|The best setting powders for mature skin||Why we love them|
|IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Airbrush Perfecting Powder||
|Hourglass Veil Translucent Setting Powder||
|Covergirl Simply Ageless Instant Wrinkle Blurring Pressed Powder||
|Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder||
|Dermablend Loose Setting Powder||
|Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder||
|e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder Loose Powder||
- 1 Other tricks for making mature skin look young
- 2 Best Setting Powders for Mature Skin in 2023
- 2.1 IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Airbrush Perfecting Powder
- 2.2 Hourglass Veil Translucent Setting Powder
- 2.3 Covergirl Simply Ageless Instant Wrinkle Blurring Pressed Powder
- 2.4 Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder
- 2.5 Dermablend Loose Setting Powder
- 2.6 Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder
- 2.7 e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder Loose Powder
- 2.8 MOTZU 6 Pieces Pure Cotton Powder Puff, Cotton Velour in Wedge Shape
- 3 Conclusion
Other tricks for making mature skin look young
Removing peach fuzz and exfoliating is the number one way to keep your skin looking and feeling younger.
Next, use a hydrating primer to minimize pores and deemphasize wrinkles. It keeps the makeup from creasing and caking.
Although most of us are accustomed to using brushes or our fingers to apply foundation, try patting it into place with a slightly damp sponge. It makes for a more perfect airbrushed appearance.
Finally, use a moisturizing setting spray to make the complexion dewy if desired.
Best Setting Powders for Mature Skin in 2023
IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Airbrush Perfecting Powder
We love this pressed powder for mature skin because it puts the perfect finish on makeup. It can also be worn by itself as a lightweight foundation.
With optical diffusers, it helps hide all the things that make us crazy when we look in the mirror – enlarged pores, lines, and discoloration. That’s because it’s a color-correcting powder as well as a finishing powder.
Instead of drying, it’s actually somewhat hydrating. It’s made with hyaluronic acid, silk, and peptides to nourish the skin. Give it at least thirty seconds to settle and you’ll see what we mean.
The manufacturer recommends using a brush to swirl the powder into the skin. This is actually a good technique if you’d like to cover over imperfections.
A real-world user in their fifties with rosacea and mature skin says that it is surprisingly good at concealing discoloration and uneven texture. The powder doesn’t settle into wrinkles and even helps with an oily T-zone.
- Color-correcting pressed powder that sets makeup or serves as a foundation
- Optical diffusers blur the appearance of lines, wrinkles, and discoloration
- Non-drying formula with hyaluronic acid, peptides, and silk
- Somewhat pricey, but worth it
Hourglass Veil Translucent Setting Powder
We saw someone describing this powder as “gossamer and translucent”. That’s exactly what we think. If you’d like to perfect your complexion (and your makeup), it will help you achieve an airbrushed look. It’s lightweight and provides a subtle glow without settling into lines or pores.
As one of the best finishing powders ever made, it’s extra finely-milled with soft focus particles like diamond and synthetic sapphire. The result isn’t glittery or shimmery. Instead, it cleverly reflects the light to blur the surface of the skin.
Happily, it’s vegan, cruelty-free, and made without parabens, artificial fragrances, synthetic dyes, or nanoparticles. What’s more, the brand donates a portion of its profits to the Nonhuman Rights Project.
- Excellent finishing powder with finely milled diamond particles
- Soft-focus finish with a subtle glow that doesn’t settle or crease
- Vegan, cruelty-free, and made without nanoparticles or artificial fragrances
- Not cheap, but it’s worth paying extra for this one
Covergirl Simply Ageless Instant Wrinkle Blurring Pressed Powder
What’s the best drugstore setting powder for mature skin? We recommend this one that’s available in a variety of shades as well as a translucent version.
It’s a pressed powder that mattifies the skin and hides large pores. But the creamy texture doesn’t suck out all the moisture. Instead, it puts some back with hyaluronic acid. It also has vitamin C which helps even out skin tone.
Furthermore, Covergirl is now a cruelty-free company. They are certified by Leaping Bunny.
Are there any downsides to this discount setting powder? Well, the main ingredient is talc which may put some people off. Still, scores of users in their fifties, sixties, and seventies praise this product for delivering on what it promises. They say it holds its own against more expensive powders, making the skin look more youthful.
- Inexpensive pressed powder in translucent and tinted shades for every skin tone
- Mattifies without dehydrating the skin
- Hydrates and brightens with hyaluronic acid and vitamin C
- From a certified cruelty-free brand
Let’s pause for a moment to explain why talc may be a problem for your health. In its natural state, talc may contain asbestos which is a cancer-causing agent. There’s no hard evidence that cosmetics with talc are risky to use, however, as long as the asbestos is removed. Therefore, it’s smart to purchase from reputable brands (1).
Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder
Coty offers loose powder in translucent and tinted shades for almost every skin tone. It’s so lightweight it’s easy to forget that you’re wearing it. It’s handy for smoothing out the complexion on those no-makeup days because the tinted version doubles as foundation.
Both the translucent and tinted shades make blemishes less noticeable. They set all types of makeup, too. Try it for baking under eye concealer and you’ll see what we mean.
Just use the included puff to press a light layer of the powder where you want it. It’s especially helpful across the T-zone as it absorbs excess oil. It doesn’t crease, either.
What are the cons? We were a little disappointed with the inclusion of artificial fragrances and parabens.
- Affordable loose powder in translucent and tinted shades
- Doubles as foundation, sets makeup, great for baking concealer
- Mattifies and does not crease
- Contains artificial fragrances and parabens
Dermablend Loose Setting Powder
Dermablend is a godsend for those seeking full coverage makeup. If you plan to use their foundation, this powder will keep it in place for up to sixteen hours. It makes the makeup waterproof, preventing transferring and smudging.
Choose from translucent, banana, and other shades. This brand is known for offering a wide variety of colors.
The powder mattifies the complexion, so it’s not ideal if you have very dry skin. If you have a chance to try it before buying it, all the better. Fortunately, although it’s talc-based, it’s been dermatologist-tested for sensitive skin. It contains no artificial fragrances and it’s non-comedogenic.
How do you use this powder to bake your makeup? Use the puff to apply a generous amount – more than you would feel comfortable wearing in public. Then wait two minutes before dusting off the excess with a soft brush.
- Makes makeup waterproof, transfer, and smudge-resistant for up to sixteen hours
- Available in translucent, banana, and tinted shades
- No artificial fragrances and non-comedogenic
- Mattifies, which could be a disadvantage for very dry skin
Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder
Not all talc-based powders are equal. This one is sheer and finely milled to an ultralight, silky texture. It’s not going to look caked on or powdery. Instead, it creates a soft-focus effect.
It comes with a velour puff that simplifies applying it. Press it gently to the skin with a rolling motion and it will set your makeup for extended wear.
Moreover, this brand was established by a professional makeup artist. It’s not surprising that the powder has won best in beauty awards from a variety of sites.
Users say it’s perfect for oily skin (here’s looking at you, perimenopause) as it keeps makeup in place all day. It provides a very matte look.
- Mattifying for oily and combination skin
- Very finely milled, silken texture never looks powdery
- Soft-focus effect, bakes makeup without settling into creases
- Best of beauty winner
- Not for dry complexions
e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder Loose Powder
We love this brand because they’re affordable, vegan, and cruelty-free. What’s more, they price cosmetics affordably.
If you were hoping to avoid talc, you’re still out of luck. Nevertheless, it’s not the main ingredient here. Instead, the powder starts with a base of aluminum starch octenylsuccinate. Check it out on the EWG Skin Deep Database. You’ll see that it’s a very safe ingredient (2).
Give this powder a shot whether you want to set makeup or just freshen up your bare face. It gives the skin a light-diffusing filter effect.
Reviewers say it has a very fine texture and it doesn’t crease or pill up. It leaves the skin with a subtle radiance.
- Affordable, vegan, and cruelty-free
- Provides a soft-focus filter on bare skin or over makeup
- Leaves the complexion radiant without creasing or settling into lines
- Base ingredient is rated as safe by the EWG
MOTZU 6 Pieces Pure Cotton Powder Puff, Cotton Velour in Wedge Shape
Put down that grotty old puff and use a clean one for your powder. There’s no need to risk acne or infection with a bacteria-laden makeup applicator.
These puffs are triangle-shaped for baking powder under the eyes and other tight spots. The soft texture picks up just enough powder for even distribution.
Thankfully, the texture is soft and agreeable to the skin. There’s even a little ribbon on the back to help secure the puff on your fingers while you use it. Did we mention that the puffs are washable, too?
Setting powder puts the finishing touches on your makeup. It makes the complexion look smooth and extends the wear time of foundation and concealer.
With that said, it’s important to be picky about the setting powder you use on mature skin. Choose one that’s finely milled so that it won’t look powdery or cakey. Powders with light-diffusing particles minimize the appearance of dark spots and uneven texture.
We hope our reviews helped you find your new favorite cosmetics today. If so, feel free to share your experience with them in the comment below.
1. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/talcum-powder-and-cancer.html accessed July 27, 2021
2. https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredients/700326-ALUMINUM_STARCH_OCTENYLSUCCINATE-ALUMINUM_STARCH_OCTENYLSUCCINATE-ALUMINUM_STARCH_OCTENYLSUCCINATE/ accessed July 27, 2021
Leave a Reply