What do Mila Kunis, Freida Pinto, and Megan Fox have in common? Stunning eyelashes.
If you want gorgeous lashes and no flaking, clumping, and smudging, there’s one simple trick you should be using. You need one of the best eyelash primers to boost your mascara.
No, you don’t have to prime your eyelashes before mascara, but eyelash primer is good for them. It turns your lashes into the perfect canvas. They keep their curl and look thicker, plus mascara will last longer.
Mascara primer gives you longer, well-curled lashes with more volume. It also conditions the hairs to keep them from breaking.
- 1 How to choose the best eyelash primer
- 2 Best Eyelash Primers in 2023
- 2.1 L’Oreal Paris Makeup Voluminous Lash Boosting Conditioning Primer Mascara, White
- 2.2 Urban Decay Subversion Lash Primer
- 2.3 essence | Volume Booster Lash Primer
- 2.4 ETUDE HOUSE Dr. Mascara Fixer
- 2.5 Covergirl Lash Blast Amplify Eyelash Primer
- 2.6 PureLash Lash Extender & Conditioner by JANE IREDALE
- 2.7 Honest Beauty Extreme Length Mascara + Lash Primer
- 3 Conclusion
How to choose the best eyelash primer
Mascara primer comes in different colors like clear, white, and black. The tinted versions make it easier to see where you’ve applied it – and even the white primer usually dries clear.
We recommend choosing eyelash primer with conditioning oils, peptides, and antioxidants to condition the lashes. At the same time, check that the formula is safe for sensitive eyes, especially if you wear contacts. There’s no need for perfumes or parabens in primer.
Some primers are waterproof and others are not. Does it make a difference if you wear waterproof mascara? It might – if you’ll be sweating, out in the rain, or going swimming, we suggest waterproof eyelash primer.
Lastly, look at the brush. In this case, primer goes on better with short bristles so you can reach the roots and coat the tiny eyelashes, too.
Check out the mascara primer reviews below to find what you need:
|The best eyelash primers||Why we love them|
|L'Oreal Paris Makeup Voluminous Lash Boosting Conditioning Primer||
|Urban Decay Subversion Lash Primer||
|essence | Volume Booster Lash Primer||
|ETUDE HOUSE Dr. Mascara Fixer||
|Covergirl Lash Blast Amplify Eyelash Primer||
|PureLash Lash Extender & Conditioner by JANE IREDALE||
|Honest Beauty Extreme Length Mascara + Lash Primer||
Best Eyelash Primers in 2023
L’Oreal Paris Makeup Voluminous Lash Boosting Conditioning Primer Mascara, White
Let’s start with the best drugstore eyelash primer because there’s no reason to spend a lot of money if you just want to try eyelash primer. This is a safe place to start because it’s an ophthalmologist-tested formula made for sensitive eyes. What’s more, reviewers say it enhances their look to the point that they don’t need falsies anymore.
This primer is designed to make your lashes look thicker and longer. It’s white when it goes on so you don’t miss a millimeter of lash. Once it’s dry, it keeps mascara from clumping, too. So there you have it, a primer that volumizes, lengthens, and still manages to define every lash even after you put on mascara. One reviewer said it’s a dupe for Lancôme’s (much more expensive) eyelash booster.
By the way, we checked the label and found no artificial fragrance and no parabens. It comes with a straight, short bristle brush.
And you should probably also know that L’Oreal makes a pink eyelash primer (called Lash Paradise) that doubles eyelash volume while it conditions with rose oil.
- Lengthens and adds volume to lashes
- Goes on smooth and prevents mascara from clumping
- White color makes it easy to see where it’s applied
- No parabens or artificial fragrance
- Ophthalmologist-tested for sensitive eyes
- Straight short bristle brush takes care of short and long lashes
- None unless you would prefer a different color of eyelash primer
Urban Decay Subversion Lash Primer
Here’s another white lash primer that’s fragrance-free and paraben-free. It’s infused with vitamin E and panthenol to strengthen lashes, too. Reviewers say it’s the best prep for the longest lashes you’ve ever enjoyed without extensions. You don’t even need to use at the same brand of mascara – the primer makes even cheap drugstore mascara perform like a superstar.
Reviewers say it prevents flaking, smudging, and clumping. Even if you don’t have the best mascara application skills, the primer keeps lashes separated.
Is there any downside? Only if you’re on a tight budget.
- White eyelash primer with a creamy texture
- Lengthens and adds volume, keeps lashes separate
- Prevents flaking and smudging of any mascara brand
- Strengthens and conditions with vitamin E and panthenol
- No artificial fragrance or parabens
- Not the least expensive option
essence | Volume Booster Lash Primer
Straight from Italy to your hot little hands. You don’t have to catch a plane to try this popular European eyelash primer (unless you want to). It’s made from vegan ingredients by a certified cruelty-free brand.
Yes, it’s white see you can see where you’ve applied it. Brush on a thin layer and let it dry for thirty seconds before putting on mascara. Or go bigger and add another layer of primer before using mascara. Two coats will make it look like you cheated with extensions.
Unlike mascara, this primer won’t make your eyelashes break off. Instead, it’s packed with mango butter and açai oil to keep each lash moisturized and strong. It shields each hair so that the mascara bonds to it and doesn’t damage the lashes.
The formula contains no parabens, but it does have an artificial fragrance (as the second to last ingredient). The biggest downside is that it’s not waterproof. But as long as you won’t be swimming, standing in the rain, or competing to be the next American Ninja, it should be fine.
- European-made lash primer from a cruelty-free brand
- Made with vegan ingredients including mango butter and açai oil
- Buildable formula increases volume and conditions
- No parabens
- Not waterproof
ETUDE HOUSE Dr. Mascara Fixer
The best eyelash primer for Asian lashes is also the best eyelash primer to keep curls. Not surprising at all since Asian eyelashes tend to be short and straight. But this brand has expert experience in chasing the elusive curl.
Moreover, this formula is transparent so you can wear it alone if all you want to do is enhance your natural lashes without mascara. Plus, it’s waterproof, which makes it even more desirable. The rain won’t mess up your hard work with the eyelash curler.
While you wear it, black bean extract conditions each lash. The primer also prevents smudging and adds volume and definition.
Even the drying time is excellent – it only takes twenty seconds. At this rate, you can add a second coat and make your eyelashes even glossier.
The only con is that some mascaras – especially the thick, volumizing ones – may clump. The primer seems to work best with lengthening mascaras.
- Transparent gel lengthens, defines, and retains curls, prevents smudging
- Can be worn alone or underneath mascara
- When worn alone, the buildable formula adds gloss
- Conditions with black bean extract
- Waterproof and fast-drying
- Doesn’t perform as well with volumizing mascara but works great with lengthening mascara
Covergirl Lash Blast Amplify Eyelash Primer
Here’s another drugstore eyelash primer that offers a lot of value for the money. Furthermore, Covergirl is now a cruelty-free brand. But we’ll be right upfront with you: they haven’t learned to let go of parabens yet.
(This is one of our hang-ups with cosmetics. Parabens are preservatives that prevent the growth of bacteria and mold so that cosmetics stay fresh and safe to use. It sounds good on paper, but studies show that parabens mess with hormones and increase the chance of cancer. Some people also have an allergic reaction to them (1). However, the risk is cumulative and the tiny amount in eyelash primer might not be a big problem. We still wish Covergirl would stop putting parabens in cosmetics).
What we love is that this eyelash primer makes inexpensive mascara provides 5-star results. Moreover, it’s lightweight and conditioning with coconut, jojoba, and argan oils. Some reviewers say it’s the best eyelash primer they’ve ever used because it makes mascara last all day and keeps lashes curled.
- Inexpensive drugstore eyelash primer that boosts mascara performance
- Maintains curls and prevents flaking and smudging
- Lightweight texture conditions with natural oils
- Contains parabens (methylparaben and propylparaben)
PureLash Lash Extender & Conditioner by JANE IREDALE
Who is Jane Iredale and why should you buy her eyelash primer? She was a producer and casting director who noticed that makeup tended to wreck actors’ skin. In the nineties, she started her own business with a loose powder mineral foundation that’s still a best-selling cosmetic today. The brand is vegan and cruelty-free, plus they avoid harsh ingredients like phthalates, parabens, and petrochemicals. They don’t use silicone, either, which is why you won’t find it in their eyelash primer.
This is a very versatile lash primer, by the way. It isn’t just a base for mascara as it can also be used on the eyebrows. What’s more, you can wear it overnight on lashes and brows to condition them. The dermatologist-tested formula is allergen-free. It features algae extract to keep hairs from breaking and might even stimulate growth.
Reviewers say it’s an excellent choice for fine lashes as it increases volume and maintains mascara in perfect condition throughout the day. One reviewer found that after three months of daily use, her lashes longer and healthier.
One note: if you’ve had a tube for a while, you might need to store it upside down to get the rest out as it tends to settle.
- Lash and brow primer and conditioner
- Algae extracts strengthen and lengthen hairs
- Makes mascara look flawless all day long
- Allergy-tested with no parabens, silicone, phthalates, or petrochemicals
- Turn the tube upside down if it seems empty all too soon
Honest Beauty Extreme Length Mascara + Lash Primer
If you love safe, natural products, this eyelash primer is EWG-certified for safety because it’s made without silicone, synthetic fragrances, parabens, paraffin, and mineral oil. Instead of the chemicals, it has beeswax and jojoba esters to lengthen and lift each lash.
But wait, it’s not just eyelash primer in this tube. Flip it over and it includes mascara, too. The rich black mascara works hand-in-hand with the primer to add length, definition, and lift. On top of the primer, the mascara doesn’t flake, smudge, or melt. No wonder that Allure and People both gave this cosmetic beauty awards.
- 2 in 1 primer and mascara in a double-ended tube
- Award-winning product that EWG-certified for safety
- No silicone, parabens, artificial fragrance, paraffin, or mineral oil
- Conditions with beeswax and jojoba esters
- Lifts, lengthens, defines, and prevents smudging, flaking, and melting
- The only con is if you don’t want black mascara, otherwise it’s convenient to have both products in one tube
If your mascara is flaking and clumping, have you tried eyelash primer? It conditions while boosting mascara’s ability to make your eyes look amazing. Once you try it, you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.
We hope our reviews helped you find your new favorite lash primer today. If so, drop us a line about it in the comments below.
1. https://www.ewg.org/what-are-parabens What Are Parabens, and Why Don’t They Belong in Cosmetics? by Tasha Stoiber, PhD, Senior Scientist, published Tuesday, April 9, 2019