Helichrysum essential oil is good for the skin. It’s sometimes called Immortelle, a name that reflects its anti-aging benefits. It has a honey-like aroma and an uplifting fragrance appreciated by aromatherapists, too.
If you’re thinking about putting helichrysum essential oil on your face or anywhere in your body, we’re confident you want the purest, safest one you can get. And since helichrysum is one of the most expensive oils, the market is full of fake essential oils brands which are the worst.
Let us save you as much trouble as possible. We researched to find the best helichrysum essential oil brands for skincare. In the process, we checked to see which manufacturers are putting their customers’ best interests first. The ones we selected have stringent testing policies and quality control, often providing GC/MS test results for free. In summary, we hope this article helps you find the best essential oil for your needs today.
Here’s a quick overview of the top essential oil brands. Scroll down to see in-depth reviews.
|The best helichrysum essential oil brands||Why we love them|
|Plant Therapy Organic Helichrysum Italicum Essential Oil||
|NOW Essential Oils, Helichrysum Oil Blend||
|Aura Cacia Helichrysum in Jojoba Oil||
|Edens Garden Helichrysum- Italicum Essential Oil||
|Healing Solutions Organic Helichrysum Essential Oil||
|Organic Immortelle (Helichrysum Italicum SSP Italicum) Essential Oil||
- 1 What is helichrysum essential oil?
- 2 Which essential oil goes best with helichrysum?
- 3 How to use helichrysum essential oil on the skin
- 4 Best Helichrysum Essential Oil Brand in 2022
- 4.1 Plant Therapy Organic Helichrysum Italicum Essential Oil
- 4.2 NOW Essential Oils, Helichrysum Oil Blend
- 4.3 Aura Cacia Helichrysum in Jojoba Oil
- 4.4 Edens Garden Helichrysum Italicum Essential Oil
- 4.5 Healing Solutions Organic Helichrysum Essential Oil
- 4.6 Organic Immortelle (Helichrysum Italicum SSP Italicum) Essential Oil
- 5 Conclusion
What is helichrysum essential oil?
Helichrysum is a plant in the Asteracea family along with daisies and sunflowers. We chose only essential oils made from Helichrysum italicum as it’s the type most used for treating wounds, massage oil, skincare products, and so on. It’s also known as immortelle and interestingly, the curry plant. (However, it’s not the same as curry used in Indian food, for example).
Although this perennial shrub with little yellow flowers grows throughout the Mediterranean area and can tolerate poor soil, the oil made from it is quite pricey. That’s because it takes approximately 1 ton of plant matter to make 1 quart of essential oil. All of those flowers have to be harvested by hand, too (1).
Moreover, helichrysum oil has medicinal properties because it’s anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial. It heals everything from chapped lips to cuts and burns, plus it fades scars (2).
Which essential oil goes best with helichrysum?
Helichrysum blends well with citrus, German chamomile, bergamot, rose, cypress, and lavender. If for any reason you can’t use helichrysum, in a pinch, you can substitute frankincense or myrrh for it. They are also good companions for helichrysum.
How to use helichrysum essential oil on the skin
You might already know that you need to dilute essential oils before putting them on the skin. Diluting them doesn’t weaken their power. Instead, it makes it safe to use them again and again without sensitizing the skin or triggering an allergic reaction.
You’ll need a carrier oil like jojoba, fractionated coconut, sweet almond, grapeseed, rosehip, or even olive oil. As long as you have a teaspoon and a dropper, it’s easy to do proper dilution.
- 2% concentration is appropriate for daily use. Add three drops of helichrysum essential oil to a teaspoon of carrier oil.
- 5% concentration is recommended for short-term treatments that require intensive intervention. It equals seven and a half drops of essential oil to a teaspoon of carrier oil.
Blend the carrier and the essential oil thoroughly, then massage it into the skin. You can premix them, but store them in an airtight container that’s protected from sunlight and heat. An easier solution would be to purchase a pre-diluted blend, so we’ve reviewed a couple of those below.
Please don’t add helichrysum directly to bathwater or try to blend it with Epsom salt. Essential oils have to be diluted with actual oil.
Best Helichrysum Essential Oil Brand in 2022
Now, let’s begin the reviews with helichrysum from one of the best essential oils brands on the market.
Plant Therapy Organic Helichrysum Italicum Essential Oil
There are many reasons why we trust Plant Therapy when we want to purchase essential oils. Primarily, we’re glad this brand has batch-specific test reports available to the public. Each oil must pass gas chromatography and mass spectrometry testing done by third-party laboratories as well as an organoleptic review. All of these evaluations give us confidence that the helichrysum oil is 100% pure and unadulterated.
Next, the brand has certified aromatherapists available to answer questions. Whether you want to know what’s the best essential oil for the skin or how to use it safely, they are waiting with a response by phone or email. The website is full of educational articles as well.
We also love the fair prices. This isn’t a multi-level marketing scam – the oils are sold directly to the consumer with no middlemen making a profit.
The facility where the oil is bottled has a GMP certification for Cosmetic Good Manufacturing Practices. This encompasses cleanliness and quality control as well as packaging and labeling. It’s also an EPA Green Power Partner because the company purchases renewable energy certificates to match its electricity usage.
Lastly, the brand offers both organic and non-organic oils. Both are clearly labeled. We selected the organic helichrysum as it has a pleasant natural fragrance when diffused and seems to work well for healing blemishes and cuts. Plus, it blends well with carrier oils. The company suggests diluting it to 5% with rosehip seed oil to diminish scars, for example.
- Pure, undiluted organic essential oil with no additives
- Batch specific tests completed by a third-party laboratory and open to public review
- Direct sales to consumers
- Certified aromatherapists available for consultation
- Packaged in a GMP certified facility
- Company is an EPA Green Power Partner
NOW Essential Oils, Helichrysum Oil Blend
NOW is another of the best authentic essential oil brands based in the USA. It has reasonable prices and a comprehensive quality control process that starts at the source. The company works with qualified growers to obtain the best helichrysum flowers that are steam-distilled to extract the oil.
The oil must pass stringent purity testing in-house including GC/MS, Refractive Index, Specific Gravity, Organoleptic Evaluation, and Optical Rotation reviews. (If you’re curious about what organoleptic testing is, it’s kind of like wine tasting. A trained expert checks the appearance and the aroma of the essential oil to make sure it matches the gold standard).
NOW makes no secret of the test results of the helichrysum oil. For example, one report reveals that the refractive index is between 1.470 and 1.484 while the specific gravity ranges from 0.880 to 0.920. These are the normal range for this type of essential oil made from this particular plant.
However, this bottle contains pre-diluted helichrysum that’s blended with jojoba oil. The ratio is 10% helichrysum to 90% jojoba. (Since it’s premixed with a carrier, it may clog a diffuser. It’s best suited for skin care). At this concentration, it’s not quite ready for use directly on the skin—it’s wise to dilute it down to 5% or 2% for safety’s sake.
- Steam-distilled from the flowering tops of helichrysum italicum
- Pre-diluted with jojoba oil, a skin-friendly carrier oil
- Stringent in-house testing to ensure quality and purity
- Oil meets specific standards for GC/MS, organoleptic, refractive index, and other tests
- Pre-diluted with jojoba (which keeps the price down)
Aura Cacia Helichrysum in Jojoba Oil
You’ll save a lot of money if you purchase a pre-diluted helichrysum blend like this one. It contains 30% helichrysum and 70% jojoba oil, which means it’s practically ready to use directly on the skin. (We still recommend diluting it down to 2% to avoid skin sensitivity from repeated usage).
The brand uses gas chromatography and mass spectrometry to test the oils for purity. They never add artificial fragrances, petroleum, parabens, or dyes. What’s on the label is what’s in the bottle. And since they are a member-owned co-op, they are working for people instead of a big corporation.
What’s more, the customer service team is available by phone to answer questions about the oil and other products they offer.
- Pre-diluted helichrysum in a 30/70 blend with jojoba oil
- Can be diluted further to protect sensitive skin
- Has passed GC/MS tests for purity
- Produced by a member-owned co-op
- Customer service is available by phone
- Pre-diluted (but less expensive)
Edens Garden Helichrysum Italicum Essential Oil
This helichrysum oil comes from Italy. It’s produced by a woman-owned and family-operated business based in the USA. It sells straight to the public, making it another of the best non-MLM essential oil companies.
The brand tests every batch of essential oils they make and reveal the results of the gas chromatography and mass spectrometry reports to customers. Should you have a question about how to use helichrysum or what to blend it with, there’s a team of certified aromatherapists available to help.
- Sourced from Italy and steam-distilled
- Has passed GC/MS tests (results available to the public)
- Woman-owned and family-operated company based in the USA
- Customer support by certified aromatherapists
- A little more expensive than the diluted oils, but much more affordable than the helichrysum oil distributed by certain multilevel marketing companies
Healing Solutions Organic Helichrysum Essential Oil
Not every company goes to the expense and effort of obtaining a USDA organic certification for their essential oils, but Healing Solutions has. You can check the official USDA Organic Database to see the certificate for this product.
This business is based in Arizona and has a customer support team available by phone. Like most brands, it tests the oil with gas chromatography and mass spectrometry to ensure its purity. But if you’re displeased with it for some reason, they offer a full refund with no questions asked.
If you’re curious, it looks like they source the helichrysum from Bosnia, Croatia, and France. It’s steam-distilled and packaged in amber-colored glass with a Euro dropper cap. (It’s an insert in the neck of the bottle that pours one drop at a time).
- US-based brand that offers a full refund with no questions asked
- Oils are tested with GC/MS for purity
- USDA organic certified essential oil
- Basic testing only, but GC/MS tests results are available on the company website
Organic Immortelle (Helichrysum Italicum SSP Italicum) Essential Oil
In Corsica, they speak French, even though it’s just off the coast of Italy. It’s one of the best places in the world to obtain helichrysum. Therefore, it’s no surprise that this French brand harvests the flowers by hand on the island. Then, the oil is steam-distilled with mountain spring water right after the flowers are picked for maximum freshness and potency.
In fact, the oil from Mardy’s Garden is so highly prized it’s even sold in pharmacies. Its anti-inflammatory properties relieve muscle pain and banish blemishes. Beyond pure helichrysum essential oil, the brand also offers related products like helichrysum perfume.
Finally, the Bureau Veritas has certified this business as a Direct Organic Producer, so what you’re getting is the purest and best helichrysum oil from locally grown and produced plants without pesticides. Fans say that it has the best fragrance out of all the varieties available.
- Helichrysum flowers are hand-harvested and steam-distilled with mountain spring water immediately after picking
- Certified organic
- This particular essential oil is sold in European pharmacies and specialist retailers
We’re happy you stopped by today to see reviews of the best helichrysum essential oils for skincare. If our research helped you find what you need today, feel free to leave us a comment below. And please come back soon to see new reviews of the best skincare products for a variety of needs.
1. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/helichrysum accessed November 30, 2021
2. http://heritagegarden.uic.edu/new-page-3 by the UIC Heritage Garden, accessed November 30, 2021