Is hair loss getting you down? Then it’s time to be proactive. Don’t let it go without a fight. The best pumpkin seed oil for hair is just one of many tools you can use to stop hair loss. Even if pattern baldness is in your genes, you can slow down the process with natural solutions. Just take a look at these pumpkin seed oil for hair benefits:
- Packed with antioxidants, fatty acids, zinc, and vitamin E, pumpkin seed oil conditions the skin and hair
- It battles premature aging caused by free radicals from sun exposure and pollution
- Helps block DHT from shrinking follicles by stopping the enzyme 5-alpha reductase
- The oil can also stimulate collagen and elastin production for a healthier scalp
These advantages come from topical application of pumpkin seed oil, but it can also be taken internally to stimulate hair growth. That’s why we included both topical and food-grade pumpkin seed oil reviews today:
|The best pumpkin seed oils for hair||Why we love them|
|Carlyle Pumpkin Seed Oil||
|Pumpkin Seed Oil by Leven Rose||
|Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil by RejuveNaturals||
|SVA Organics Pumpkin Seed Carrier Oil||
|US Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil||
|NOW Foods Organic Virgin Pumpkin Seed Oil||
|Now Foods Pumpkin Seed Oil Soft-gels||
- 1 Can pumpkin seed oil regrow hair?
- 2 How long does it take for pumpkin seed oil to grow hair?
- 3 Best Pumpkin Seed Oils for Hair in 2023
- 4 Conclusion
Can pumpkin seed oil regrow hair?
Pumpkin seed oil was matched against minoxidil to see which one was best for regrowing hair (on mice). After three weeks of topical treatment, pumpkin seed oil proved itself to be a promising alternative for minoxidil, the active ingredient in Rogaine hair loss medication (1).
How long does it take for pumpkin seed oil to grow hair?
Pumpkin seed oil won’t regrow hair overnight, but if you apply it daily for a few weeks, you’re likely to see results. After all, hair growth happens in phases and the phase your hair is in at any given moment has an impact on how much it grows.
Normal human head hair lengthens by about 6 inches per year and as much as 0.4mm per day (2). It passes through a series of stages. The anagen stage is an active growing period that lasts anywhere from 2 to 6 years.
Next, the catagen phase is a time of transition when growing stops and the root of the hair shrinks. It’s followed by the telogen stage when the follicles rest. It lasts approximately a hundred days before the growing cycle starts all over again.
There’s no easy way to know which of your head hairs are in a certain phase at any given time. However, the ones in the telogen stage are the ones that fall out. That’s why you might lose up to a hundred hairs per day. Look closely at the root and you can see a hard, white material. That’s how you know the hair was resting when it was shed.
Best Pumpkin Seed Oils for Hair in 2023
So, how can a natural solution help regrow hair faster? Check out the pumpkin seed oil for hair reviews below and learn more.
Carlyle Pumpkin Seed Oil
Let’s begin with organic pumpkin seed oil for hair. But did you know that this virgin oil can also be eaten on salads and drizzled on bread? It has a nutty flavor prized for salad dressings, dips, and even desserts. That’s why it won’t be a waste if you buy it for your hair because you can always use it for other things. It’s also an excellent carrier for essential oils and can moisturize skin anywhere on the body.
We selected this brand of pumpkin seed oil because the manufacturer has stringent standards for purity and quality. The oil is certified organic and non-GMO. It’s bottled in the USA in an FDA-registered, GMP-certified facility. The company also meets USP standards for heavy metals, is DSHEA compliant, and is certified by Underwriters Laboratories.
The oil itself is cold-pressed from pepitas, the hulled seeds of pumpkins. Since it’s extracted without the use of heat, it retains its full potency. That’s good news because it’s packed with stearic, oleic, and linoleic acids that are good for the skin and hair.
Massage a few drops of the oil onto the scalp each day to stimulate growth and halt premature balding. At the same time, you can use it as leave-in conditioner on the ends of the hair to prevent split ends and get rid of frizz.
We also suggest blending three drops of peppermint essential oil in a teaspoon of pumpkin oil to amp up the hair growth benefits.
- Certified organic, non-GMO, food-grade pumpkin seed oil
- Can be used to treat hair loss, condition skin, and for cooking
- From a manufacturer that meets stringent standards for quality and purity
- None, because the oil is very versatile and never go to waste even if you decide to not use it on the hair
Pumpkin Seed Oil by Leven Rose
Pumpkin seed oil is naturally anti-inflammatory, which is one of the reasons why it helps grow hair. It soothes the scalp and fortifies the hair from the follicle to the tip. The fact that it guards against follicle miniaturization caused by DHT is a major bonus. Also, it makes each strand shiny and soft every time you apply it.
Since it fights acne, you don’t have to worry about clogging pores when you use it. It’s also helpful for strengthening nails and repairing cuticles. Apply it at bedtime as a rich moisturizer to smooth fine lines.
This pumpkin seed oil is packaged in amber glass to extend its shelf life. It comes with a dropper, too. But if you’re not happy with it for some reason, the US-based brand offers a satisfaction guarantee and the promise of a refund.
- Comes with a dropper and packaged in amber glass for maximum shelf life
- Excellent for treating the hair, scalp, and skin
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee
Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil by RejuveNaturals
Did you know that if you use just a few drops of pumpkin seed oil, it doesn’t feel greasy? Most people find that it absorbs rapidly and just a little bit goes a long way. For the best results possible, apply it to damp skin or hair. That helps the oil seal in essential moisture and the body to soak up the nutrients from the oil.
This brand of pumpkin seed oil is certified organic by both the USDA and Eco-CERT. It’s cold-pressed from pumpkin seeds and bottled in the USA. The container is dark-colored to keep the oils fresh, plus it comes with a dropper.
By the way, did you know that certified organic products like this one come from plants grown on soil that have had no chemical contamination for at least three years?
Furthermore, the manufacturer provides a recipe for hair serum. They suggest blending peppermint essential oil with pumpkin seed in the palm of your hand, then massage it into the scalp. It will tingle a little bit as it stimulates blood circulation. Leave it on overnight or wash it out after five minutes.
Happily, this is pumpkin seed oil that’s also food-grade so you can use it for marinades, salads, pesto, and dips. It turns out that this natural oil isn’t just good for the skin and hair, but it’s also helpful for the prostate and the bladder. Many users have found that taking pumpkin seed oil daily helps them sleep through the night without having to go to the bathroom repeatedly.
- Certified organic pumpkin seed oil that’s bottled in the USA
- Packaged in a dark-colored container to preserve potency, comes with a dropper
- Food-grade and safe for the skin and hair, too
SVA Organics Pumpkin Seed Carrier Oil
Just like many of our readers, we prefer non-GMO organic oils like this one. It’s certified by the USDA as the pumpkins are grown according to strict standards on land that’s free of contamination. They come from China where more than sixty farms raise and harvest organic pumpkins.
When harvested, the seeds are cold-pressed to make this pure and natural oil that’s hexane-free. At last, the oil is bottled in the USA in a GMP-certified facility. GMP stands for Good Manufacturing Practices and ensures that foodstuffs like this are treated with care and safe for consumption or use on the skin. Moreover, the brand has gone the extra mile to get ISO and Kosher certified, too.
You can purchase the oil in a variety of sizes from small bottles to large containers. All of it has been thoroughly examined with gas chromatography and mass spectrometry among other tests for purity.
Lastly, the company offers a satisfaction guarantee.
- Certified USDA organic
- Inspected for purity and quality with GC/MS and other tests
- Bottled in a GMP-certified facility in the USA
- Manufacturer is ISO and Kosher certified
US Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil
Although this cold-pressed pumpkin seed oil isn’t labeled for internal consumption, it’s perfect for treating the hair and skin. It has a golden amber color and a nutty aroma just as you might expect.
The undiluted oil is manufactured in a GMP-certified facility by a brand that features a Green Business certification as well.
- Manufactured in a GMP-certified facility by a Green Business certified brand
- Cold-pressed oil has a nutty aroma and golden amber color
- Not for eating
NOW Foods Organic Virgin Pumpkin Seed Oil
NOW Foods has one of the most comprehensive in-house testing setup of any of the brands that make supplements, consumables, and essential oils. If you visit their website, you can read at length about everything they do to ensure the quality and purity of each product.
This cold-pressed pumpkin seed oil, for example, is unrefined and certified USDA organic and non-GMO. Feel free to use it on your meals or treat your skin and hair with it. It’s packaged in the USA in protective amber glass to preserve its freshness.
- Produced by a family-owned business in the USA
- Has passed extensive purity and quality testing
- Cold-pressed and unrefined, made for cooking and skin and hair care
- Packaged in dark-colored glass for freshness
Now Foods Pumpkin Seed Oil Soft-gels
Let’s wrap up with the best pumpkin seed oil capsules. Each one contains 1000 mg of Curcubita pepo pumpkin seed oil. Since the oil is high in phytosterols, it’s good for a healthy prostate and for bladder control. It may also stimulate hair growth by providing essential nutrients the body needs.
The oil is expeller-pressed and must pass extensive and detailed examinations including gas chromatography and mass spectrometry to ensure that it’s pure and safe for human consumption.
- Each softgel contains 1000 mg of expeller-pressed pumpkin seed oil
- May stimulate hair growth and support a healthy prostate and bladder
- From a family-owned brand in the USA with extensive certifications and superior in-house testing capabilities
Pumpkin seed oil may be the hair loss solution you’ve been seeking. It blocks the enzyme 5-alpha reductase that interferes with hair growth, plus it’s outstanding for conditioning the hair and skin.
We hope our reviews helped you find the best pure and natural oil for your hair today. Feel free to tell us about your experience with it in the comments below.
1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6823528/ Hajhashemi, V., Rajabi, P., & Mardani, M. (2019). Beneficial effects of pumpkin seed oil as a topical hair growth promoting agent in a mice model. Avicenna journal of phytomedicine, 9(6), 499–504. https://doi.org/10.22038/AJP.2019.13463
2. https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/science-hair Hair Loss: The Science of Hair by WebMD staff, published March 1, 2010, accessed December 1, 2021