Our bodies will inevitably collect scars, freckles, age spots, wrinkles, and other blemishes. But the best body peels will help reverse signs of aging. They renew the skin to erase discoloration and smooth the texture.
You can peel pretty much your whole body with chemical exfoliants. Products with lactic, glycolic, and salicylic acid remove dead skin without the need for scrubbing. The process fades dark spots and fine lines while it rejuvenates dull skin. It can help with body acne and keratosis pilaris, too.
Check out the best at-home body peels below:
|The best body peels||Why we love them|
|VILLAGE11FACTORY AHA 12% Body Lotion||
|Hydro-Glo 40% Peel Pads by Perfect image||
|Glycolic Acid Pads for Face & Body by Divine Derriere||
|Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Exfoliating Body Treatment Peel||
|ASDM Beverly Hills Glycolic Acid Peel 70%||
|QRxLabs Lactic Acid 50% Gel Peel with Kojic Acid and Bearberry & Licorice Root Extracts||
|QRxLabs Chemical Peel Neutralizer||
- 1 What is a body peel?
- 2 What are the key ingredients in a body peel?
- 3 What are the downsides to a body peel?
- 4 Best Body Peels in 2021
- 4.1 VILLAGE11FACTORY AHA 12% Body Lotion
- 4.2 Hydro-Glo 40% Peel Pads by Perfect image
- 4.3 Glycolic Acid Pads for Face & Body by Divine Derriere
- 4.4 Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Exfoliating Body Treatment Peel
- 4.5 ASDM Beverly Hills Glycolic Acid Peel 70%
- 4.6 QRxLabs Lactic Acid 50% Gel Peel with Kojic Acid and Bearberry & Licorice Root Extracts
- 4.7 QRxLabs Chemical Peel Neutralizer
- 5 Conclusion
What is a body peel?
If you’ve ever treated a callus or a wart with salicylic acid, you’ve done a peel. A body peel can cover a large area like the backs of both arms or a small one like an old scar on your leg. Typically, it’s a gel or liquid that you apply on clean skin and let it work for a few minutes before neutralizing it. Within the next few days, the skin will peel, exposing a fresh layer. After repeated treatments, you’ll see less hyperpigmentation and less rough texture.
What are the key ingredients in a body peel?
Body peels use either alpha-hydroxy or beta hydroxy acids, or sometimes both. The former includes lactic and glycolic acids as well as fruit acids. The latter is usually salicylic acid (1).
If you’re not sure which to choose, here are some guidelines.
Pick lactic acid if you have dry, sensitive skin. Normal to combination skin can benefit from glycolic acid. But those with very sensitive skin should try peels with fruit enzymes as they are the least aggressive.
Meanwhile, oily skin does well with salicylic acid as it doesn’t just break up the bonds between dry skin cells, but also dissolves the sebum that clogs pores.
What are the downsides to a body peel?
If you’ve never done a peel, start small with a low concentration of acid. Try an exfoliating lotion or exfoliating cleansing pads and see how your skin reacts. Remember that it’ll probably sting and your skin will be more sensitive for a few days. Moisturizer will help prevent excess flaking and dryness Also, when you go outdoors, you need to wear sunscreen to prevent sunburn.
It takes time to see results – one treatment probably isn’t enough for a dramatic difference. Moreover, you’ll need to leave time between peeling sessions so that your skin can heal. It may take a few weeks to a few months to make blemishes disappear. Check the directions on the product you’ve selected to see how often to use it.
Best Body Peels in 2021
VILLAGE11FACTORY AHA 12% Body Lotion
What’s the easiest way to do a body chemical peel at home? Gradually with lotion, of course. Then you won’t have the downtime that comes from a full-strength chemical peel. The lotion keeps the skin hydrated and comfortable. Just be careful not to rub it into open wounds.
This exfoliating body lotion has a 12% concentration of glycolic acid with a low pH for maximum effect and minimum irritation. It’s fortified with hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and collagen to help the skin renew itself and stay supple. Plus, there are healing botanicals like Centella asiatica, green tea, chamomile, and aloe.
Happily, the formula has no synthetic fragrance or parabens. It’s packaged with a pump top for convenience. Two or three pumps should cover the entire body with a light layer.
The manufacturer advises that the lotion may sting a little right after putting it on. They also recommend wearing sunscreen over the top when spending time outdoors. That’s because alpha-hydroxy acid can make the skin more sensitive to sunburn
Users say that the lotion smoothes fine lines and relieves KP bumps and body acne without causing dryness. They suggest not putting it on freshly shaved skin as it will sting a lot.
- Exfoliating body lotion with glycolic acid
- Moisturizing formula with hyaluronic acid, collagen, and ceramides
- Features healing botanicals like Centella asiatica, green tea, and aloe
- Clears up chicken skin and body acne, and smoothes fine lines
- Contains no parabens or artificial fragrance
- Stings when first applied
Hydro-Glo 40% Peel Pads by Perfect image
If you have dark-colored armpits, acne scars, melasma, or sun damage, check out these exfoliating wipes. The peel pads are saturated with exfoliating, skin-brightening ingredients that fix hyperpigmentation. Swipe them on and let the liquid do its job; no scrubbing is needed.
Seriously, it looks like they put everything that erases dark spots into one formula. It has kojic acid, licorice root, and bearberry plus exfoliators like lactic and salicylic acids. That’s not to mention the moisturizers and skin-soothing ingredients, too.
Users say the pads cause the skin to peel but they aren’t as harsh as a spa treatment. Putting on an appropriate amount of moisturizer and waiting enough time between applications keeps the skin comfortable. Also, the pads are available in a lower concentration for beginners and those with sensitive skin.
Moreover, the pads don’t contain parabens, fragrances, or alcohol. They come with a money-back guarantee as well.
- Perfect for erasing hyperpigmentation like acne scars and sun damage
- Exfoliating formula with skin-brighteners like kojic acid and bearberry
- Available in 10% and 40% concentrations
- No artificial fragrances, parabens, or alcohol
- Have a money-back guarantee
- None, but please do a patch test if you have sensitive skin
Glycolic Acid Pads for Face & Body by Divine Derriere
Here’s a glycolic body peel without unnecessary filler ingredients or harsh chemicals. Instead, it’s carefully formulated to leave the skin smooth and bright. It tackles hyperpigmentation, acne, and ingrown hairs as well as lines and wrinkles.
Although it can be used daily, it’s likely to sting and cause redness. Users say using it just once or twice a week maintains a youthful appearance. You’re likely to notice a positive difference after only one application.
It has astringent witch hazel to tighten pores. Then, there are brighteners like niacinamide, vitamin C, and panthenol along with plenty of antioxidants from green tea and vitamin E. A little calendula and aloe keep the skin calm.
This is a vegan product that’s cruelty-free. It’s made in an FDA-inspected facility in the USA, plus the manufacturer offers a ninety-day guarantee.
- Treats hyperpigmentation, acne, ingrown hairs, large pores, and wrinkles
- No fillers or harsh ingredients, vegan and made in the USA
- Comes with a ninety-day guarantee
- Frequent use may cause sensitivity and irritation
Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Exfoliating Body Treatment Peel
Smooth crepey skin, erase age spots, and eliminate flaky patches and ingrown hairs with these exfoliating towels. One towel is large enough to treat the entire body (if you follow the instructions and unfold it a little bit at a time).
The exfoliating solution is based on both alpha-hydroxy and beta-hydroxy acids. Together, they cleanse pores and remove dead skin to get rid of body acne and keratosis pilaris. At the same time, squalane and enzymes firm the skin, polishing your body.
- Blend of alpha-hydroxy and beta-hydroxy acids
- Packaged as a saturated towel to treat the entire body at once
- Intense exfoliation to treat crepey skin, age spots, ingrown hairs, and more
- Strong fragrance
ASDM Beverly Hills Glycolic Acid Peel 70%
This is an un-buffered peel available in 10, 25, 30, 40, 50, and 70% concentrations. It rapidly exfoliates the epidermis and therefore should not be used at the same time you’re using retinol or vitamin C treatments. Also, those with rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis should avoid it.
This is a professional-grade medical treatment that can seriously burn your skin if not used properly. We highly recommend following the instructions to the letter and purchasing a neutralizer (see the bottom of this article). (It’s possible to use baking soda and water to stop the acid from working, but the gritty texture may irritate the skin. Also, you’ll need to use the proper amount, which is why it’s easier to use a neutralizer).
Start with a low concentration peel – you can always choose a higher concentration the next time if you are achieving the results you desire.
The formula contains no extra ingredients like parabens or fragrances. – It’s simply distilled water and glycolic acid. It’s made in fresh batches daily by a woman-owned business in California.
Put the peel only on the skin you wish to treat after protecting the area around it by covering the skin with a barrier cream. Check the instructions for the amount of time you should leave it before neutralizing and rinsing. If you do it right, you’ll slough off the top layer of dead cells and end up with a fresh layer of refined, supple skin.
- Pure glycolic acid and distilled water peel available in various concentrations
- Manufactured in small batches daily by a woman-owned business in California
- Potent and effective for reversing signs of aging and treating hyperpigmentation
- Professional-grade product that can cause serious injury if not used properly
QRxLabs Lactic Acid 50% Gel Peel with Kojic Acid and Bearberry & Licorice Root Extracts
Here’s another of the best body peels for hyperpigmentation. It fades scars, lines, and age spots with medical-grade lactic acid plus melanin inhibitors. Kojic acid, licorice root, and bearberry erase hyperpigmentation by preventing the skin from making excess pigment.
The manufacturer highly recommends doing a patch test to see how your skin will react as this is a very powerful product. On the bright side, it’s free of dyes, fragrances, parabens, and silicone to make it safer for sensitive skin. It also comes with a satisfaction guarantee.
- Powerful peel with ingredients that stop excess melanin production, treating hyperpigmentation at the source
- No artificial colors, fragrances, parabens, or silicone
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee
- Only use it if you have the patience to do a patch test
QRxLabs Chemical Peel Neutralizer
This professional peel neutralizer is suitable for use with all brands and types of acid-based skin peels, whether lactic, glycolic, salicylic, TCA, or Jessner peels.
Trust us, you’re going to want it because it’s way better than mixing up a DIY baking soda neutralizer at home. For one, the texture is much smoother. And two, it’s fortified with soothing chamomile and green tea to stop the tingling and calm the skin immediately.
- Professional-grade peel neutralizer for all types and brands of acid peels including lactic, glycolic, salicylic, and TCA
- Smooth texture with soothing ingredients to stop the sting and calm the skin
The best body peels will make your skin look young and refreshed. They fade discoloration and lines and clear up body acne and bumpy skin.
We hope our reviews helped you find exactly what you need today. If so, please share your experience using it. Feel free to leave us a comment below.
1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6017965/ Tang, S. C., & Yang, J. H. (2018). Dual Effects of Alpha-Hydroxy Acids on the Skin. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland), 23(4), 863. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23040863