Neem oil comes from the Indian lilac tree. It’s used in Ayurvedic medicine to heal wounds and treat acne, eczema, and psoriasis among other conditions. It turns out that neem oil has a lot of benefits for the skin because it’s rich in antioxidants, fatty acids, and vitamins. Not only is it an excellent moisturizer for dry skin, but neem also stimulates collagen production to smooth wrinkles.
If you want to pamper your face and body, you’ll need the best organic neem oil for the skin. That’s because neem oil is also a pesticide. It sounds shocking, especially when you consider that neem is prohibited in the United Kingdom and Canada. So, is it OK to get neem oil on the skin?
- 1 Neem oil is an excellent moisturizer with healing effects
- 2 Best Organic Neem Oils for the Skin 2022
- 3 Conclusion
Neem oil is an excellent moisturizer with healing effects
Yes, clinical studies have shown that neem is a safe medicinal plant with anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects. It makes wounds heal faster, and may also be useful for treating skin cancer, but investigations are still underway (1).
Neem oil is so potent that you only need a little bit at a time. If you’ve never used it before, we highly recommend doing a patch test. Put a little dab on the inside of your elbow or the back of your knee and wait twenty-four hours to see how your skin reacts.
Never ingest neem oil as it’s poisonous and keep it away from cats. But it’s excellent for killing pests that eat garden plants (2).
Also, you should know that neem oil is naturally cloudy, yellowish, and viscous. It has a strong odor similar to sulfur and garlic. That’s why many people blend it with essential oils or a carrier like sweet almond oil.
What brand of neem oil is the best? Check out our top picks below:
|The best organic neem oils for the skin||Highlights|
|Neem Oil by Kate Blanc Cosmetics, USDA Certified Organic||
|Milania Premium Organic Neem Oil||
|NOW Solutions Neem Oil||
|Premium Nature Organic Neem Oil||
|Harris Neem Oil||
|Velona Neem Oil USDA Certified Organic||
|Zatural Naked Neem Organic Neem Butter||
|TheraNeem Neem Therapé Skin Lotion||
Best Organic Neem Oils for the Skin 2022
Neem Oil by Kate Blanc Cosmetics
When a product is USDA-certified organic like this one, it comes from a plant that was not genetically altered and was grown without chemicals. Because it’s an undiluted natural product, it’s packaged in an amber glass bottle to protect it from spoilage. (UV light from the sun makes most essential oils like this one spoil faster).
If you store it in a cold place, the texture thickens, but it will melt once it warms to room temperature. Use the eyedropper to put a dot in your palm. Now, use a cotton swab to dab the oil on the trouble spots. Remember to wash your hands when you’re done.
Neem oil helps clear up acne, psoriasis, eczema, and sometimes rosacea. It calms redness and itching and leaves the skin supple.
Add neem oil to your shampoo and get rid of dandruff. Or use it on your garden plants as an organic pesticide. There are plenty of DIY neem oil recipes online.
In any case, this California-based manufacturer offers a 100% guarantee on its neem oil.
- USDA-certified organic
- Four-ounce amber glass bottle with eyedropper
- From a California-based company
- Comes with a 100% guarantee
- The con is always the same for neem oil – it has a strong odor, but at least it fades after a while
Milania Premium Organic Neem Oil
This brand uses a special process to extract the neem oil from the seeds. It’s cold-pressed in a way that retains an intense concentration of azadirachtin, the key ingredient that makes neem oil so potent.
Cold-press extraction is the best way to separate the oil from the plant. Since it uses no heat, it doesn’t destroy any of the nutrients. It’s also chemical-free so that your skin isn’t exposed to hexane or other toxins when you use the oil. Plus, the neem is non-GMO and grown in India with no pesticides.
The only downside is that it comes in a screw-top plastic bottle with no eyedropper. But the manufacturer offers a thirty-day money-back guarantee if you’re not pleased with this product.
- Proprietary cold press extraction process keeps the active ingredients highly concentrated
- Made with non-GMO, organic neem from India
- Comes with a thirty-day money-back guarantee
- Packaged in plastic, no eyedropper
NOW Solutions Neem Oil
Here’s neem oil from a reputable family-owned business based in the USA. No, it’s not certified organic. Nevertheless, it’s processed in a GMP-certified facility that follows a stringent testing process to ensure purity and quality.
The pure neem oil is cold-pressed from wild-crafted neem seeds. Then, it’s packaged in a dark-colored glass bottle and comes with an eyedropper. There are no additives, of course.
If it drops to room temperature, it solidifies similar to the way virgin coconut oil behaves. But if you place the bottle in your pocket or a bowl of warm water, it softens. Users suggest applying the neem oil with shea butter, rose, or lavender essential oil to give it a pleasant scent.
- Cold-pressed from wild-crafted neem seeds
- Purity and quality ensured by a stringent testing process at a GMP-certified facility
- Packaged in the USA in an amber glass bottle with an eyedropper
- None, except that it’s hard to dispense when it’s solid – warm it to melt it first
Premium Nature Organic Neem Oil
If you’ve seen one bottle of neem oil, it seems like you’ve seen them all and the only difference is the price. It just so happens that this one is less expensive than some of the better-known brands and it comes in an amber glass bottle with an eyedropper.
Like the best essential oils, it’s cold-pressed and hexane-free. The product description says that it’s made in the USA. (The brand is based in New York). However, there is no indication that it’s certified organic although the product title claims that it is. We included it in the article because it’s cheap and popular, but we were disappointed at the lack of documentation.
- Inexpensive cold-pressed neem oil
- Bottled in the USA
- Does not appear to be certified organic
Harris Neem Oil
How about a twelve-ounce bottle of cosmetic grade concentrated neem oil? You won’t run out for a long time even if you use it on your skin, hair, and in the garden. Plus, it comes with a satisfaction guarantee.
The oil is cold-pressed, not extracted in any other way, but what does cosmetic grade mean? The brand explains that it’s purposefully high in antioxidants for skin care. Moreover, it can be mixed with shampoo and lotion.
We looked for an organic certification and didn’t find one Nevertheless, we discovered that the manufacturer specializes in organic pesticides and this neem oil is certified for that purpose.
- Twelve-ounce bottle
- Cold-pressed, cosmetic grade with high levels of antioxidants
- Also appropriate for use as an organic pesticide
- Covered by a satisfaction guarantee
- Plastic bottle, no eyedropper
Velona Neem Oil USDA Certified Organic
Don’t worry, we’re back to certified organic neem oil after a brief detour. This one looks like a plastic bottle of lotion with a pump top. It’s certainly convenient if you want to dispense a decent-sized glob instead of a single drop at a time.
The oil is cold-pressed virgin with a greenish-brown color and a strong garlicky scent. That’s because it’s unrefined with no additives or chemical treatment. It comes from the seeds of the Azadirachta Indica that grows in India but the oil is bottled in the USA. Like many other brands of neem oil, it comes with a satisfaction guarantee.
As you know, you can put neem oil directly on the skin or add it to shampoo and moisturizer. If you’re curious about gardening with it, it makes a great pesticide. Mix it up in a spray bottle and spritz it on plant leaves to get rid of uninvited pests. It only takes a teaspoon and a half of neem oil per quart of water plus a half teaspoon of soap. One word of advice – only apply it late in the afternoon or early in the morning to avoid burning the leaves.
- Cold-pressed virgin unrefined oil from the seeds of Azadirachta Indica trees in India
- Certified organic with a strong scent and natural color
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee
- Pump top bottle dispenses more than an eyedropper which may lead to waste if you don’t need that much each time
Zatural Naked Neem Organic Neem Butter
Neem oil is great for the skin all by itself. It also blends well with the other natural oils like coconut, palm, marula, and rosemary that are in this rich body butter. It’s ideal for smoothing and soothing dry, itchy skin. Users say it also fades acne scars after a while.
It’s handcrafted from organic ingredients in small batches. What’s more, it features organic neem oil as well as neem leaf extract for extra potency. And if you’re familiar with marula oil, you also know that it’s one of the best natural oils for the skin.
Reviewers are more than satisfied with this neem oil product. They say it’s non-greasy with a natural scent from all the herbal ingredients. It smells more pleasant than neem oil on its own.
- Rich body butter with organic neem oil and neem leaf extract
- Also includes coconut, palm, and marula oil to nourish dry skin back to health
- Non-greasy with a natural herbal scent
- Not straight neem oil, but a body butter with other organics included
TheraNeem Neem Therapé Skin Lotion
This body lotion in a pump top bottle features neem leaf extract as well as organic neem oil with other natural moisturizers. It’s fragranced with grapefruit essential oil.
Unlike cheap drugstore lotions, it doesn’t contain water. The base ingredient is an aqueous extract of organic neem leaf followed by aloe gel. As you might imagine, it doesn’t feel greasy, but it’s soothing and lightweight. In fact, some reviewers use it on their faces to treat rosacea. Just so you know, it will probably tingle, but it’s designed to be kind to sensitive skin.
For best results, apply the lotion after washing when the skin is damp. That way you’ll get the most from the rich emollients like shea butter and jojoba oil. Happily, neither of those clog pores.
- Face and body lotion with organic neem leaf extract and organic neem oil
- Also features organic aloe, jojoba oil, and shea butter
- Paraben-free and made for sensitive skin
- Scented with grapefruit essential oil
- Not straight neem oil
For some people, the best organic neem oil works wonders for their skin beyond what tea tree or other natural options can do. Moreover, even if you are put off by the odor, it mixes well with essential oils. And you can use it for organic gardening so it never has to go to waste.
We hope our reviews helped you find the best neem oil for your needs today. We invite you to tell us about your experience with it in the comments below.
1. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2016/7382506/ Mohammad A. Alzohairy, “Therapeutics Role of Azadirachta indica (Neem) and Their Active Constituents in Diseases Prevention and Treatment”, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2016, Article ID 7382506, 11 pages, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/7382506
2. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/neemgen.html Bond, C.; Buhl, K.; Stone, D. 2012. Neem Oil General Fact Sheet; National Pesticide Information Center, Oregon State University Extension Services.