What’s the best essential oil for itchy skin? The answer depends on why your skin is itching. Are you looking for the best essential oil for skin rashes or bug bites? Is the itch because of dandruff, dry skin, or nerves?
After all, the urge to scratch happens because the itch-sensing nerves in the skin are being stimulated. Skin damage, dryness, and inflammation are usually what’s behind the problem (1).
Essential oils like peppermint and tea tree stop the itching by also stimulating the skin. They give it a temporary cooling sensation while they work behind the scenes to heal and calm the skin.
- 1 The best essential oils to soothe itchy skin
- 2 How to use essential oils on itchy skin
- 3 Best Essential Oils for Itchy Skin in 2021
- 3.1 Plant Therapy KidSafe Itch Away Essential Oil Blend Pre-Diluted Roll-On
- 3.2 Plant Therapy Peppermint Essential Oil
- 3.3 Aura Cacia 100% Pure Lavender Essential Oil
- 3.4 3-Pack Variety of NOW Essential Oils: Lavender, Eucalyptus, Peppermint
- 3.5 Maple Holistics Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 3.6 Majestic Pure Chamomile Oil
- 3.7 Healing Solutions Organic Rose Geranium Essential Oil
- 4 Conclusion
The best essential oils to soothe itchy skin
Peppermint has been clinically proven to reduce severe itching, also known as pruritis. It works on scars and skin irritation linked to kidney disease and diabetes (2).
Melaleuca, also known as tea tree oil, is antimicrobial just like peppermint oil. Since it fights fungal infections and has anti-inflammatory properties, it’s good for treating dandruff, athlete’s foot, and eczema.
Then, there’s chamomile which doesn’t make the skin tingle, unlike peppermint and tea tree oil. However, it calms the itching related to hemorrhoids, rashes, and a dry scalp.
If the itching is related to stress, you’ve got to try lavender. The aromatic scent relaxes the mind while lavender’s antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties calm irritation and promote healing.
Lastly, rose geranium comes highly recommended for eczema and dry skin. It blends well with lavender and chamomile, too.
How to use essential oils on itchy skin
If possible, wash the itchy skin with mild soap and rinse well with lukewarm or cool water. Then dilute and apply the essential oils to the skin.
Will diluting weaken the effects? No – proper dilution just makes essential oil safe so that it doesn’t burn or sensitize the skin. What’s more, carrier oils like fractionated coconut, avocado, and sweet almond seal moisture into the skin more effectively than the essential oil can by itself. Using a carrier with essential oils can help heal the skin faster.
To treat an adult’s face, add three drops of essential oil to a tablespoon of carrier oil. For the body, you can add up to six drops per tablespoon.
Be very careful treating children with essential oils, and don’t use them on babies. Seek the advice of a licensed aromatherapist or a doctor before using essential oils on anyone under the age of twelve.
If you don’t want to dilute the oils yourself, we’ve included pre-diluted skin-safe oils below. Here are the best essential oils to calm itching:
|The best essential oils for itchy skin||Why we love them|
|Plant Therapy KidSafe Itch Away Essential Oil Blend Pre-Diluted Roll-On||
|Plant Therapy Peppermint Essential Oil||
|Aura Cacia 100% Pure Lavender Essential Oil||
|3-Pack Variety of NOW Essential Oils: Lavender, Eucalyptus, Peppermint||
|Maple Holistics Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil||
|Majestic Pure Chamomile Oil||
|Healing Solutions Organic Rose Geranium Essential Oil||
Best Essential Oils for Itchy Skin in 2021
Plant Therapy KidSafe Itch Away Essential Oil Blend Pre-Diluted Roll-On
This may be the best essential oil recipe for itchy skin and it’s immediately ready to use. No dilution is needed because it’s already mixed with fractionated coconut oil.
It’s a roll-on that feels soothing and smells delightful. Although it’s designed for kids aged 2 to 10, it’s perfect for adults, too.
The formula blends copaiba oleoresin, lavender, spearmint, patchouli, palmarosa, organic turmeric, and rose absolute. Lavender and copaiba calm irritation while spearmint cools the skin. At the same time, patchouli, palmarosa, turmeric, and rose reduce swelling and encourage healing. Reviewers say that the roll-on works wonders on itchy mosquito bites.
Why purchase this brand of essential oils? To be honest, it’s one of our favorites because they sell straight to the public. No money has to go to mid-level marketers.
The oils are affordable, but they still have to pass a series of tests to ensure quality and purity. The tests include gas chromatography and mass spectrometry plus an organoleptic review.
Moreover, the company has certified aromatherapists available to answer questions. And if you’re not pleased with the products, they offer a satisfaction guarantee.
- Ready to use essential oil blend
- Calms itchy skin, reduces irritation and swelling
- Pleasant sweet floral scent
- Pre-diluted with fractionated coconut oil
- Packaged in amber glass with a rollerball top
- From a brand that sells straight to the public
- Each oil has to pass a series of quality and purity tests
- Customer service includes certified aromatherapists to answer questions
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee
Plant Therapy Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint is one of the best essential oils for itching bug bites. (If it’s too strong for your skin, try spearmint). It provides an almost immediate freezing blast and tingling sensation that numbs the problem.
Although the initial effect only lasts for a few minutes, over the long term peppermint is good for the skin. That’s because it’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory to clear up infections and stop the itch at the source.
This is pure, undiluted peppermint oil. It’s smart to dilute it properly before putting it on the skin. It won’t mix with water, but it combines nicely with olive oil or lotion if you don’t have carrier oil handy. Also, be careful to keep it away from your eyes and mucous membranes.
If you’d like to learn more about the brand, the guarantee it offers, and its testing process, see the review above. In summary, all of their products are cruelty-free and this particular oil is USDA-certified organic. You can get the peppermint oil in small, medium, and large bottles as well as a pre-diluted roll-on.
- USDA-certified organic peppermint oil
- Feels cooling to the skin
- Anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial
- Has passed organoleptic, gas chromatography, and mass spectrometry tests for purity and quality
- Packaged in amber protective glass
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee
Aura Cacia 100% Pure Lavender Essential Oil
Here’s the best essential oil for nerve itching because it doesn’t just calm the skin, but also the mind. Lavender has been extensively studied and its benefits confirmed. Furthermore, it’s probably the most popular essential oil ever, and one of the safest.
Not everyone loves the floral and herbal fragrance – some say it smells like flowers with dirt. But there’s no denying its anti-inflammatory properties. It blends nicely with chamomile, rose geranium, and many other essential oils.
This oil was steam-distilled from lavender plants harvested in Bulgaria and has been GC/MS tested to be 100% pure. It’s from a brand established almost four decades ago that’s part of a member-owned co-op.
- Steam-distilled from lavender plants harvested in Bulgaria
- Calms the skin and the mind
- Blends well with other essential oils
- GC/MS tested for purity
- From a brand that’s part of a member-owned co-op
3-Pack Variety of NOW Essential Oils: Lavender, Eucalyptus, Peppermint
The least expensive essential oils tend to be the ones sold directly to consumers. Among these, the NOW brand stands out for quality and sheer affordability. No, we’re not talking about cheap fragrance oils – these are the real deal.
NOW is a family-owned business based in North America. They have an intensive quality assurance process with an in-house laboratory that confirms the purity of every essential oil they offer. The tests include refractive index, specific gravity, infrared absorption, and heavy metal screening as well as many others.
What’s more, they purchase the oils in bulk from established vendors and don’t add the same amount of markup as the competition does. The oils aren’t diluted unless they are specifically labeled as such. Plus, many of the essential oils are certified organic.
These are the reasons why we recommend checking out this variety pack of essential oils. Each one is a one-ounce bottle. Take the peppermint, for instance. It’s steam-distilled from the Mentha piperita plant. Take a close look at the label. Did you notice that there is no warning against taking it internally? That’s because this peppermint oil could qualify as GRAS, or Generally Recognized As Safe. The brand knows that intrepid essential oil users will likely put a drop or two in their tea or dessert.
In summary, you already know that lavender and peppermint are good for itchy skin. But what about eucalyptus? If properly diluted, you can also treat itching with it. It has a cooling sensation, too. And if you have a stuffed-up nose, it will certainly come in handy.
- One-ounce bottles of pure essential oils
- Affordably priced
- Each one has passed an extensive series of tests
- From a North American brand
Maple Holistics Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil comes from the Melaleuca alternafolia plant of Australia. You can use it to treat acne, athlete’s foot, dandruff, bug bites, and other itchy situations. But please don’t get it in your mouth, eyes, or mucous membranes.
The oil is sourced and shipped to New Jersey where the brand packages it for sale. Their facility uses renewable energy for the manufacturing process.
What’s interesting is that the company purchases raw materials from suppliers that pay a fair wage and protect the ecosystems where the plants are harvested.
- Potent antimicrobial essential oil that treats acne, dandruff, mosquito bites, and athlete’s foot
- From an American brand that uses renewable energy for the manufacturing process
- None, as long as the oil is properly diluted before using it on the skin and it’s not ingested
Majestic Pure Chamomile Oil
Chamomile is a versatile essential oil that blends nicely with lavender, lemon, rose, geranium, and so many more. The scent encourages a calm mind and the oil itself soothes the skin.
This is a large 4-ounce bottle that comes with a glass dropper. Be sure to dilute the chamomile with a carrier oil like avocado before applying it on the itchy spots.
It’s produced by a family brand from San Diego and made with ingredients harvested from around the world.
- Essential oil that calms a restless mind and itchy skin
- Four-ounce bottle with a glass dropper
- From a family brand based in San Diego
Healing Solutions Organic Rose Geranium Essential Oil
Rose geranium has an appealing fragrance that uplifts the mind. That’s one of the reasons why it’s often used in skincare and hair care products. More importantly, it relieves itching without any kind of cooling or tingling sensation – it’s just calming.
This is USDA-certified organic essential oil from a Phoenix-based brand that purchases from the world’s best essential oil suppliers. The oil has been GC/MS tested for purity, plus it comes with a money-back guarantee.
- Appealing floral fragrance
- Relieves itching by calming the skin
- USDA-certified organic
- From a Phoenix-based brand that offers a money-back guarantee
Yes, essential oils are good for itchy skin. They can calm nervous itching and soothe pruritis caused by dryness, bites, and other irritations.
We hope the reviews helped you find the best essential oils for your needs today. Feel free to leave us a comment below telling us about your experience with them.
1. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-why-we-itch-and-scratch/ Why and how do body parts itch? Why does it feel good to scratch an itch? by Mark A. W. Andrews, published March 26, 2007
2. https://www.healthline.com/health/essential-oils-for-itching Essential Oils for Itching: Are They Safe? Medically reviewed by Karen Cross, FNP, MSN, written by Corey Whelan — Updated on November 1, 2018