If you want smooth skin, shiny hair, and strong nails, your body needs plenty of collagen. But if you’re vegan, there’s a catch. Collagen is animal-based – or is it?
The good news is twofold. First, there is no natural vegan source of collagen, but there is a way to synthesize it with genetically modified bacteria and yeast. Although it’s not mass-produced yet, it will be because it’s allergen-free, low-cost, and without the health risks of animal-based products (1).
Until it’s readily available, there is a second option. The best vegan collagen powders are all-natural but they don’t contain plant-based collagen. Instead, they are vegan collagen boosters with the right nutrition that helps the body make plenty of its own collagen.
For example, plant-based collagen powders are packed with silica, amino acids, phytoceramides, and antioxidants like vitamin C that build collagen in the body. Check out the best vegan collagen powders on the market below:
|The best vegan collagen powders||Why we love them|
|Vitauthority Vegan Collagen Powder||
|Sunwarrior Vegan Collagen Peptides Powder||
|Further Food Plant Based Vegan Collagen Supplement||
|Amazing Grass GLOW Vegan Collagen Support||
|Ora Organic Vegan Collagen-Boosting Powder||
|Anima Mundi Vegan Collagen Booster Powder||
|PlantFusion Collagen Builder Plant Based Peptides Protein Powder||
- 1 Best Vegan Collagen Powders in 2023
- 1.1 Vitauthority Vegan Collagen Powder
- 1.2 Sunwarrior Vegan Collagen Peptides Powder
- 1.3 Further Food Plant Based Vegan Collagen Supplement
- 1.4 Amazing Grass GLOW Vegan Collagen Support
- 1.5 Ora Aloe Gorgeous Organic Vegan Collagen-Boosting Powder
- 1.6 Anima Mundi Vegan Collagen Booster Powder
- 1.7 PlantFusion Collagen Builder Plant Based Peptides Protein Powder
- 2 Conclusion
Best Vegan Collagen Powders in 2023
But you know what superfoods are? They are nutrient-dense foods with a low calorie count. You’ll find them in this collagen booster powder. It contains Tremella mushroom, Camu camu, kiwi, pomegranate, and amla. Many of these are rich in vitamin C, proven to stimulate collagen production in the skin. The high dose of antioxidants boosts skin repair by neutralizing the free radicals that cause the tissue to break down, get inflamed, and show signs of aging.
If you’re not familiar with Tremella, it’s also known as the “beauty mushroom”. It looks like a loofah L and tastes a little sweet. Like the average mushroom, it’s high in vitamin D and antioxidants. But what makes it stand out is that it’s excellent for hydrating the skin, reduce inflammation, and warding off premature aging (2).
This supplement powder may not contain animal collagen, but it has necessary components for the body to make its own. It’s also excellent for keeping the skin hydrated and plump.
Happily, it’s free of artificial flavors, sweeteners, and fillers. Users say it smells like pink lemonade and mixes smoothly with liquids.
- Antioxidant-rich powder with superfoods like Tremella, Amla, and Camu camu
- Helps the skin build collagen and stay hydrated
- Also beneficial for hair, nails, and joints
- No artificial flavors, fillers, or sweeteners
- Mixes smoothly, tastes like pink lemonade
Sunwarrior Vegan Collagen Peptides Powder
The unflavored version of this powder goes well with anything like smoothies, soups, or juices, for example. But you can also get it in delicious flavors like salted caramel, Tahitian vanilla, and chocolate fudge to mix in plant-based milk or water. In every case, it’s organic, low-carb, and appropriate for the keto and Paleo diets. It’s a high-protein addition to your daily diet.
Furthermore, it’s made with non-GMO sources like peas, brown rice, bamboo, spirulina, spinach, Tremella, and seabuckthorn. Each was selected for having a superior amount of vitamins, amino acids, and collagen-boosting nutrients like silica.
Those with allergies can rest easy as a supplement is free of dairy and soy. Plus, it’s sugar-free but sweetened with organic Stevia and monkfruit.
Reviewers say that they have enjoyed using the powder as it blends well with coffee and beverages. Some have noticed that their skin has begun looking healthy and others have found digestive and dietetic benefits from taking.
- Packed with amino acids, vitamins, and nutrients to build collagen
- Non-GMO ingredients with no sugar, soy, or dairy
- Available in a variety of flavors or unflavored versions
- Sweetened with organic Stevia and monkfruit
- Blends easily with beverages
- None, although if you aren’t a fan of monkfruit, we recommend the unflavored version as it isn’t sweetened, either
Further Food Plant Based Vegan Collagen Supplement
We’ve been craving chocolate lately, so we selected the chocolate-flavored supplement for the review. It has cocoa powder and monkfruit extract to give it a fudgy taste. Unfortunately, it wasn’t our favorite chocolate powder, but if you’re already used to monkfruit, you may enjoy it. Otherwise, plan on mixing it into a flavored beverage like coffee or chocolate soy milk. What’s more, it goes well in smoothies and you can even bake brownies with it.
Other than that, it’s a pretty simple formula based on pea protein, medium chain triglycerides from coconut oil, Acerola cherry, aloe, vitamin E, and Tremella mushrooms. There are no artificial colors or fillers. It’s designed to renew the skin from the inside out, leaving it firm and hydrated. Of course, this is not an overnight solution. It takes a few weeks to a few months to make a visible difference. But in the meantime, you’ll enjoy stronger nails and healthier hair, too.
This vegan powder is made in the USA without dairy, gluten, or soy. It’s tested by an independent laboratory for purity and potency. However, it’s packaged in a facility that also processes tree nuts, wheat, peanuts, and other allergens.
- A single scoop serving features 20% RDA of vitamins C and E plus 2 grams of protein
- Has a proprietary beauty blend of natural extracts like Tremella and Acerola Cherry
- Blends with beverages and can be used for baking
- It wasn’t our favorite because of the monkfruit extract used to sweeten it, and it’s packaged in a facility where other allergens are processed
- Low in protein compared to competitor products (see the one below)
Amazing Grass GLOW Vegan Collagen Support
One scoop is 80 calories, with 15 grams of protein. Moreover, it has 100% of the recommended daily value of biotin and 20% of vitamin C. There’s no added flavoring unless you select the Vanilla, Hibiscus, Honeysuckle, or Mayan Chocolate version.
We selected the unflavored version for maximum value with minimum distraction. It relies on organic Acerola cherry for vitamin C to kickstart collagen synthesis. Then, there’s an organic b-vitamin complex blend based on lemon peel, holy basil, and guava. This stimulates strong hair and nail growth, which is needed since many vegans suffer in this department.
The protein comes from peas and brown rice. But your mom will also be happy that you’re eating your greens because it contains organic wheat grass and kale as well.
What’s the downside? The container only holds fifteen servings, but it’s still cheaper than getting a latte.
- Packed with protein from peas and brown rice
- High in vitamin C and B vitamins for firm skin and strong hair and nails
- Available in unflavored or flavored versions like Vanilla, Hibiscus, Mayan Chocolate, and Honeysuckle
- Small container with only fifteen servings
Ora Aloe Gorgeous Organic Vegan Collagen-Boosting Powder
As of the promotional material for this product points out, you can eat animal collagen, but there’s no guarantee that your body will use it properly. Instead, if your body builds its own collagen from nutrients like the ones in this powder, it goes straight to work where it’s needed.
With a base of organic peas, this supplement doesn’t have a lot of protein per scoop. Instead, it focuses on collagen synthesis with ingredients like Acerola cherry (with plenty of vitamin C), aloe (a polysaccharide for stronger collagen strands), and bamboo (with necessary silica).
In fact, all of the ingredients except the natural chocolate flavor are certified organic. The formula contains no dairy, gluten, fillers, or artificial ingredients.
Reviewers say the texture is a little gritty, but that’s not as noticeable if it’s mixed with oatmeal or yogurt.
- Certified organic ingredients with no fillers
- Includes collagen-stimulating pea protein, Acerola cherry, and aloe
- Only 50 calories per scoop
- Gritty texture
Anima Mundi Vegan Collagen Booster Powder
This collagen support powder features adaptogens, plants that help the body handle stress of all types. They are so potent that you only need two teaspoons per day.
All the herbs are non-GMO and the formula is handcrafted in Brooklyn with worldwide ingredients. It contains herbs you may recognize like horsetail and nettles. Both are rich in calcium and silica to stimulate collagen and restores elasticity to joints.
Then, there’s Fo-Ti which is known for encouraging hair growth and reducing grayness. But don’t forget the calendula and comfrey with essential minerals for strong bones.
Reviewers say they like the product although it’s difficult to dissolve in liquids. They recommend blending it in a smoothie or adding it to cereal.
- Contains adaptogens with essential nutrients for collagen, bones, joints, and hair
- Herbal formula is non-GMO and handcrafted in the USA
- Only two teaspoons per day are needed
- Difficult to dissolve in liquid
PlantFusion Collagen Builder Plant Based Peptides Protein Powder
It’s not a meal replacement shake, but it’s headed in that direction. This powder has 100 calories for every two scoops with 18 grams of protein. Yes, there’s a little bit of fat and some carbs, too, but what’s interesting is the intense amount of vitamin C. It’s 167% of the recommended daily value. Since this is a water-soluble vitamin that leads to collagen production, we find it to be a winning formula.
Choose from unflavored, chocolate, or vanilla versions. Each one is gluten-free and certified non-GMO. There is no dairy in it, either. So where does all the protein come from? The base is pea protein isolate with artichoke, algae, and amino acids, too.
Plus, there’s white tea extract that’s loaded with antioxidants. We were also happy to see hyaluronic acid and phytoceramides. After all, this isn’t just a collagen support product, but also a supplement that provides nutrients for overall well-being. If you’ve had creaky joints or dry skin, it’s designed to help repair them.
Users say it even helps them with acne and regular bowel movements. The powder blends smoothly in a shaker with liquids or in soy yogurt. For some, it helps suppress appetite.
- Almost a meal replacement shake with 18 grams of protein and 100 calories per serving
- Available in unflavored, chocolate, or vanilla versions
- Blends smoothly with liquid or food
- Enriched with collagen-stimulating ingredients plus skin and hair supplements
- Contains 17% of the RDA for sodium
Lotions and creams can only do so much to firm the skin. If you boost your diet with collagen powder, chances are you’ll see an improvement sooner. Vegan collagen supplements are affordable, tasty, and straightforward to use. They stimulate the body to produce what it needs to look great and feel better.
We hope our reviews helped you find your new favorite diet supplement today. If so, we’d love to hear what you think about it. Please feel free to leave us a comment below.
1. https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/vegan-collagen Here’s What You Need to Know About Vegan Collagen by Ana Reisdorf, MS, RD, published March 8, 2019, accessed August 21, 2021
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremella_fuciformis accessed August 23, 2021