Can you wear makeup with vitiligo? Yes, you can, and makeup is one of the easiest ways to disguise the white patches. Start with the best foundation for vitiligo reviews below.
As you may already know, vitiligo is a condition where the melanocytes, or pigment-forming cells in the skin, are progressively destroyed. That means patches of skin are completely un-pigmented and cannot tan.
This condition affects people of all skin colors and no one is yet sure what causes it. The white spots usually begin to appear between the ages of ten and thirty and may affect one or both sides of the body (1).
We wish no one ever felt self-conscious about having vitiligo, but we understand that it’s not always comfortable to be stared at. Although models like Winnie Harlow have tried to educate the public by showing the world what vitiligo looks like, it seems like most folks would rather camouflage the white patches (2).
If you’re wondering what you can use to cover your vitiligo, check out this chart:
|The best foundations for vitiligo||Why we love them|
|Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Cream Foundation with SPF 30||
|Mehron Makeup CreamBlend Stick - Foundation||
|Revlon ColorStay Full Cover Longwear Matte Foundation||
|PHOERA Makeup Set: Brushes, Foundation, Sponges, Primer, Powder||
|Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation||
|TEMPTU Perfect Canvas Airbrush Foundation||
- 1 What do persons with vitiligo use to cover up white patches?
- 2 How can I hide vitiligo with makeup?
- 3 Best Foundations for Vitiligo in 2023
- 3.1 Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Cream Foundation with SPF 30
- 3.2 Mehron Makeup CreamBlend Stick – Foundation
- 3.3 Revlon ColorStay Full Cover Longwear Matte Foundation
- 3.4 PHOERA Makeup Set: Brushes, Foundation, Sponges, Primer, Powder
- 3.5 Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation
- 3.6 TEMPTU Perfect Canvas Airbrush Foundation
- 4 Conclusion
What do persons with vitiligo use to cover up white patches?
Although this article is about the best makeup for vitiligo, we wanted you to know there are other options. We recently reviewed the best self tanners for vitiligo which are a longer-lasting solution than makeup because fake tan doesn’t have to be applied daily.
On the downside, self-tanning products don’t cover up dark brown skin as well as foundation. But camouflage makeup like Zanderm is quick and easy to use. It’s basically a marker with smudge-resistant ink that you can use to fill in white spots (3).
Then, there are specialty products like Microskin from a company that will develop a custom shade just for you. But this gets pretty pricey.
On the bright side, drugstore makeup like Covergirl’s TruBlend Foundation is perfectly capable of hiding white patches. But here’s the key:
If you’re going to use makeup, and you want it to last as long as possible, you must use powder and fixing spray. Primer is also very helpful.
How can I hide vitiligo with makeup?
Practice this process before it’s mission-critical. Give yourself at least half an hour the first time. Don’t worry, it’ll get faster in the future.
- Choose a shade that matches your skin color and tone. If you’re not sure what that is, you can get a lot of insight for free from online videos and from conversations with store employees at makeup counters. Unfortunately, some people will find a better match by mixing two shades together. But if you purchase a brand like Dermablend that has a wide range of colors, this hopefully won’t be necessary.
- Wash before putting on makeup. This removes excess oil that will make the makeup slide off.
- Give your moisturizer and primer time to absorb. It’s not going to go well if you apply foundation to a greasy canvas. You can use fixing spray as primer and that cuts down on costs.
- Go light with thin layers to build up coverage. Even full-coverage foundation might need two coats for a flawless appearance.
- Let the makeup dry and dust it with a thick layer of powder. Feel free to use either transparent finishing powder or one that matches your makeup. Wait three minutes and brush off the excess powder.
- Spritz on the fixing spray, allow it to dry, and you’re done!
If you are careful about preparing your skin and diligent about using powder and fixing spray, even cheap makeup will last for hours without smudging, rubbing off on clothes, or melting in high humidity.
Best Foundations for Vitiligo in 2023
Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Cream Foundation with SPF 30
Here’s another Dermablend for vitiligo reviews – the Internet is full of them because this is the best brand of vitiligo makeup. If you want to know how to cover vitiligo around your eyes or anywhere on your body, this is the perfect choice. It’s not cheap, but it’s worth every penny.
Plus, Dermablend comes in cream, liquid, powder foundation, and stick formats. It can be used on both the face and body.
Happily, Dermablend offers one of the widest selections of shades, too. You can pick warm, cool, and neutral undertones for most colors.
We selected the cream foundation because it sets to a matte finish that keeps oily skin under control and won’t dehydrate dry skin. But to get the longest wear from it, you must set it with powder. We repeat, use finishing powder to avoid being a dissatisfied customer. Don’t worry, the powder doesn’t add any shine and doesn’t feel heavy. It helps the makeup set to a natural finish so that no one knows you’re wearing any makeup at all.
Moreover, Dermablend is fragrance-free and non-comedogenic. It doesn’t cause acne outbreaks or trigger allergies because it’s been allergy-tested as well. It’s the ideal makeup for sensitive skin, and it stays in place for up to 16 hours (if you set it with powder).
How do you use Dermablend for vitiligo? The cream foundation comes with a little spatula to scoop it out of the jar. Put a dab in the palm of your hand to soften it, then use a sponge to apply it. Follow the instructions above about hiding vitiligo as they apply perfectly to this product.
- Non-acnegenic, fragrance-free, and allergy-tested
- Lasts up to 16 hours if set with powder, water-resistant, doesn’t smudge
- Available in a wide range of shades including warm, neutral, and cool tones
- Comes in cream, stick, powder, and liquid formats
- None, but it’s not cheap. At least it’s full coverage, so it doesn’t take much
Mehron Makeup CreamBlend Stick – Foundation
This is stage makeup, but it’s not greasepaint. It’s petrolatum-free, vegan, and contains no parabens. Plus, the highly-pigmented foundation comes in a wide range of colors. Each has a creamy texture that can be blended for the perfect match.
Although this isn’t our favorite makeup for vitiligo on the face, it is extremely long-wearing even in high heat and humidity if you set it with powder. What’s nice is that it contains aloe and vitamin E to keep the skin healthy. However, it needs to be applied with a light hand (and a sponge). Otherwise, it will be obvious that you’re wearing makeup.
- Stage makeup with no petrolatum or parabens
- Wide range of highly pigmented, creamy colors
- Very long-wearing and resistant to heat and humidity
- Absolutely must be set with powder
- Looks best if applied in light layers – use a sponge
Revlon ColorStay Full Cover Longwear Matte Foundation
Who knew that Revlon made waterproof vitiligo makeup? Well, that’s not exactly true, but if Dermablend is out of your budget range, try this foundation instead. It doesn’t take much to provide the promised full coverage, and it can last all day without touch-ups.
Compared to the stage makeup above, this foundation is a lightweight mousse that sets to a velvety matte finish. It’s straightforward to blend and very lightweight and comfortable. Unless you have very dry skin, it shouldn’t settle into lines or cake. (If you tried it before the recent product update, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the improvements in the new formula. It’s even better at shine control and doesn’t dehydrate the skin).
It comes in 15 shades for light to deep skin tones. They last up to 24 hours without transferring or smudging. This is water-resistant makeup after all.
- 15 shades from light to deep
- Lasts up to 24 hours, water-resistant, transfer-resistant
- Updated formula sets to a velvet matte and doesn’t cake
- Budget-priced dupe for Dermablend
- Revlon doesn’t say that you need to set it with powder for finishing spray, but you can already guess what we recommend
PHOERA Makeup Set: Brushes, Foundation, Sponges, Primer, Powder
It can get expensive if you need to purchase foundation plus all the accessories to apply it. Here’s the perfect solution. This kit comes with full coverage foundation plus all the extras.
What’s the catch? Make sure that the shade you need is included in the kit. Still, if you need to purchase the bottle separately, you’re still getting a good deal. The smooth liquid has enough pigment to cover up a tattoo so it’s ideal for disguising vitiligo. If you follow all the steps starting with the primer and wrapping up with the powder, the foundation sets to a matte finish that’s nearly waterproof and resists rubbing off on clothes, making it convenient for body makeup. Feel free to use either the brush or the non-latex sponge to apply it.
Next, the primer is described as “hydrating”, but it won’t make the face greasy if you have oily skin. Instead, it smooths the surface, minimizes pores, and preps the skin so the makeup adheres better.
Last, the translucent powder keeps the foundation in place, controls shine, and leaves the skin looking natural. It doesn’t leave a white cast on deep tones.
- Includes everything needed to camouflage vitiligo including primer, full coverage foundation, powder, and applicators
- Decent range of shades available
- Natural-looking matte finish
- Sometimes it’s hard to find the kit with the right shade of foundation
Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation
If you have combination or oily skin, you know how hard it is to get through the day without touching up makeup. That’s where this full coverage foundation comes in handy – a single layer can literally last all day and night.
What’s the trick? For best results, the brand recommends finishing with its All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray. This little detail makes it waterproof and nearly impossible to rub off without makeup remover.
Remember to apply sunscreen because this foundation has none.
- Full coverage, waterproof and transfer-resistant
- Perfect for combination and oily complexions
- Intensely pigmented
- Performs best if set with the brand’s own finishing spray
TEMPTU Perfect Canvas Airbrush Foundation
Don’t fool yourself – airbrush foundation isn’t just for the pros. TEMPTU’s makeup can be applied by air or by hand, meaning you don’t need to spend a lot of money on equipment. Just blend it with a sponge or brush and you can achieve a flawless finish. You might need two layers to achieve full coverage, but the makeup is very long-lasting and skin-friendly.
The foundation is available in 24 shades for pretty much every skin color and undertone on the planet. In fact, the brand offers a Shade Match Guarantee where it will send you a replacement for free.
Not only is the makeup long-wearing and resistant to water and transferring, but it’s also kind to the skin. The formula contains no oil, fragrance, parabens, phthalates, or animal ingredients. It won’t clog pores, plus it’s hypoallergenic.
The finish is semi-matte, suitable for all skin types. However, it’s especially nice for mature and dry skin because it’s actually quite hydrating. Don’t get us wrong, you’ll still need moisturizer. But the silicone-based formula is packed with helpful ingredients like hyaluronic acid, peptides, goji berry, and gotu kola (also known as tiger grass or Centella asiatica). It’s designed to improve the skin’s texture while you wear it.
One final note: be sure to shake the bottle for at least five seconds before using the makeup.
- Available in 24 shades for every skin color and tone
- Semi-matte finish is long-wearing and resistant to transferring and water
- Suitable for all skin types and especially kind for mature, dry skin
- Packed with nutrients to firm texture and hydrate
- Silicone-based formula can be applied with a brush or sponge as well as by air
- Remember to shake the bottle before using the makeup
What’s the secret to hiding white patches with makeup? Choose the best foundation for vitiligo and set it with powder and finishing spray. Then you can go throughout your day without worrying about touch-ups.
We hope our reviews helped you find the best makeup for your needs today. If it makes you feel confident, please share your good news with others and leave us a comment below.
1. https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/vitiligo-common-cause-loss-skin-pigment Vitiligo and Loss of Skin Color, by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, published August 17, 2020
2. https://vrfoundation.org/famous Famous Vitiligans
3. https://vrfoundation.org/news_items/a-makeup-artist-favorite-options-to-covering-vitiligo A Makeup Artist Favorite Options To Covering Vitiligo, published July 17, 2019