What is a lipstick brush and why do you need one? Are there different types of brushes for lip gloss and lipstick? Is a brush better than a lip brush applicator, also known as a doe-foot applicator? These are the kinds of questions that aspiring makeup artists ask. Still, any one of us might be wondering how to identify a lipstick brush in the set of makeup brushes we just bought.
- 1 How to choose the best lip brush
- 2 Best Lip Brushes in 2021
- 2.1 da Vinci Cosmetics Series 9677 Synique Lip Brush
- 2.2 Revlon Retractable Lip Brush
- 2.3 I’M MEME Lip Smudge Brush
- 2.4 JAPONESQUE All Over Lip Brush with Cap
- 2.5 MAC #316 Lip Brush
- 2.6 The Spatty Lip Last Drop Beauty Spatula
- 2.7 Double-Sided Silicone Exfoliating Lip Brush
- 2.8 BS-MALL Makeup Brushes, Premium Synthetic Brush Set
- 2.9 YWITC 100PCs Eco-friendly Lint-free Applicators
- 3 Conclusion
How to choose the best lip brush
First, let’s start by saying that it’s worth it to get one of the best lip brushes. Lip brushes blend color seamlessly for an ombre look, plus they keep edges neat and the coverage even for a perfect pout.
Did you know that there are different applicators for lip gloss and lipstick? A typical lip brush for matte lipstick has short bristles with rounded tips. It feels a little stiff and it’s thicker at the base and tapered at the tip. It provides excellent control over how much product is applied and where.
In fact, you might mistake a lip brush for an eye shadow brush as they are similar and sometimes interchangeable. However, some lip brushes have square tips for a clean edge, especially in the corners of the mouth.
But of course, lip gloss goes on smoothly with a doe-foot applicator or a brush with softer, slightly longer bristles. Can you see the similarities between a lip gloss brush and an applicator for concealer?
Lastly, think about where you’ll be using the lip brush. Would you prefer a retractable brush that can travel with you and has no cap to lose? Or do you like the compact lip brushes with a cap that becomes part of the handle?
At this rate, you might end up with two or three lip brushes! That’s not such a bad thing as you’ll want spares so you can wash them. Here are the best lip brushes now:
|The best lip brushes||Why we love them|
|da Vinci Cosmetics Series 9677 Synique Lip Brush||
|Revlon Retractable Lip Brush||
|I'M MEME Lip Smudge Brush||
|JAPONESQUE All Over Lip Brush With Cap||
|MAC #316 Lip Brush||
|The Spatty Lip Last Drop Beauty Spatula||
|Double-Sided Silicone Exfoliating Lip Brush||
|BS-MALL Makeup Brushes, Premium Synthetic 14 Pcs Brush Set||
|YWITC 100PCs Eco-friendly Lint-free Applicators||
Best Lip Brushes in 2021
da Vinci Cosmetics Series 9677 Synique Lip Brush
You’re going to feel like a pro doing your makeup. This carefully crafted lip brush is our favorite because it looks and feels like a professional makeup artist’s tool.
The short bristles are stiff enough for matte lipstick and soft enough for eyeshadow. Moreover, they’re synthetic so we don’t feel guilty about harming animals.
The handle is made with wood from a sustainable wood source capped with a rust-resistant ferrule. Everything is put together by hand in Germany in a family-owned business that declares that it’s “sweatshop-free”.
If there’s any downside, it’s the fact that the brush isn’t retractable and doesn’t come with a cap. On the other hand, this is a makeup tool that will last you for years.
- Brush has a rounded tip with short and firm but soft bristles
- Perfect for matte lipstick and gentle enough for eyeshadow
- Sustainable wood handle with a rust-resistant metal ferrule
- Handmade in Germany by a family-owned business
- Not retractable and has no protective cap
Revlon Retractable Lip Brush
Here’s the best retractable lip brush that’s ideal for putting on lipstick in the morning and touching up your lips on the go. It won the RedDot Award in 2016 because of its convenient and comfortable design.
It’s described as having a “Diamond Grip Handle”, which is a fancy way of saying it has a little bit of texture to keep it from slipping in your hand. Once you’ve finished putting on lipstick, the brush tip slides down into the handle, making it compact enough for small handbags. It’s even labeled with the word “lip” to show you at a glance which brush you’ve grabbed.
But really, it’s the ExpertFX brush head that won us over more so than the retractable handle. It’s soft enough for lip gloss and firm enough for most kinds of lipstick. It doesn’t shed, either. Feel free to scoop the last bit of color from your favorite tube because now it won’t go to waste with this brush.
- Retractable lip brush for lipstick and gloss
- Award-winning design, compact, easy to grip
- Short, soft bristles with a curved tip
- One of our testers thought that the bristles were too soft for dryer, waxier formulas
I’M MEME Lip Smudge Brush
Perfect your ombré lip look with this Korean lip brush. It has a rounded tip with soft synthetic bristles for blending and smudging the color.
The bristles are tightly packed which allows the tip plenty of power and control for matte lipstick. At the same time, it’s soft and gentle enough for lip balms and tints.
Although the brush is compact, you might want to think twice before tossing it in a bag and protected. It comes with a brush cover, which is simply a flimsy piece of plastic that slips over the tip.
- Soft white synthetic bristles packed tightly into a round tip
- Ideal for an ombre lip look, blending tints or matte lipstick, applying lip balm
- Compact and attractive little brush
- Not retractable; comes with a flimsy plastic sleeve for the tip
JAPONESQUE All Over Lip Brush with Cap
Here’s another gorgeous lip brush that’s made to last. It’s hand-assembled with custom-shaped bristles that are never cut by a machine so they don’t feel pokey and don’t leave streaks. Reviewers say it’s great for precise lip work.
The bristles are mounted on a sleek wooden handle with a rust-resistant metal ferrule. The ferrule has a unique crimped design to prevent the bristles from shedding. Plus, the brush comes with a metal cap to protect the bristles when you’re on the go. Just be careful to not trap the hairs incorrectly and bend them out of shape.
The manufacturer recommends cleaning the brush every few days with a spray solution to keep it sanitary and prevent build-up. Then, do a deep cleanse once a month with brush shampoo. Blot excess oyster with a paper towel and lay the brush flat to dry.
- Hand-assembled lip brush with a wooden handle and rust-resistant metal ferrule
- Synthetic fibers are custom shaped, not machine cut
- Comes with a protective metal cap
- Take a moment to cap the brush properly and prevent damage to the bristles
MAC #316 Lip Brush
We wouldn’t expect anything less than the best from MAC. This lip brush is a little pricier than the competition but well-made and suitable for a perfectionist.
The brush has a tapered tip with firm, flat synthetic fibers for precision application. If you have a steady hand, you won’t need concealer or makeup remover to clean up lines.
Each brush is hand-sculpted and comes with a protective cap. It looks like shiny metal, but the handle is wooden with a nickel-plated brass ferrule. It feels lovely in the hand. Furthermore, reviewers say the brush is straightforward to clean with no shedding and no spreading of the bristles.
- Suitable for precision application and clean lines
- Tapered tip with firm, synthetic fibers
- Hand-sculpted with a wooden handle and nickel-plated brass ferrule plus a protective cap
- If you factor out the cost over the number of years it should last, this lip brush is quite the steal
The Spatty Lip Last Drop Beauty Spatula
Yes, you can put on lipstick with it because it’s shaped like a doe foot applicator. But truly, we included this little spatula because it’s what everyone needs to get the last bit of gloss or lipstick out of the tube.
It’s BPA-free and dishwasher-safe. You can get it in big or little sizes depending on how far down you need to reach in basically anything from a lipgloss tube to a bottle of lotion.
Since it has an ergonomic shape, you can slather the rescued product on your lips right then, or use your new lip brush to take what you need directly from the spatula.
- Doe foot applicator disguised as a spatula to retrieve the last bit of lipstick from the tube
- BPA-free and dishwasher-safe
- Available in 6 inch and 12-inch versions
Double-Sided Silicone Exfoliating Lip Brush
How do you use an exfoliating lip brush? This tool simplifies everything. It’s made of soft and flexible silicone with two different textures, one on each side. If you have lip scrub, you’re ready to go. Otherwise, we had good results with sugar and coconut oil.
Apply the scrub to your lips and massage them with the exfoliating brush for twenty seconds or so. Then, gently remove the scrub and apply a thick coat of lip balm. Don’t be surprised if your lips look pinker and plumper than they did a few minutes before.
The manufacturer says that massaging the lips with water and the silicone scrubbie will also get the job done. What’s more, the brush is straightforward to clean with a little soap.
- Soft silicone tip with two different textures for exfoliating the lips
- Works well with lip scrub or just water
- Improves circulation, removes dead skin, leaves the lips plump and pink
- BPA-free and straightforward to wash
BS-MALL Makeup Brushes, Premium Synthetic Brush Set
It’s hard to have too many makeup brushes because once you know how to use them, you’ll still find yourself experimenting.
This inexpensive set contains a lip brush plus thirteen other brushes for everything from concealer and foundation to eyeshadow and blush. All the bristles are silky synthetic fibers packed densely together.
- Set of fourteen makeup brushes including a lip brush
- Densely packed silky soft synthetic fibers
- Although the price of the entire set is less than you’d pay for a single premium brand lip brush, you may not need so many makeup tools
YWITC 100PCs Eco-friendly Lint-free Applicators
You can also find disposable lip brushes like these. However, these aren’t brushes with bristles, but rather doe-foot applicators. They are suitable for putting on lip gloss, lip balm, or eyelash extensions.
The handles are made of biodegradable bamboo that can be composted or used as kindling in a fireplace. Meanwhile, the white brush head may be lint-free, but it’s not compostable or biodegradable. Be sure to pull it off the handle before throwing away the applicator.
- Disposable lip brushes
- Bamboo handles that are compostable and biodegradable
- Doe-foot applicator tip doesn’t leave lint behind
- Probably less damaging to the environment than disposable plastic lip gloss applicators, but not entirely recyclable
If you want the prettiest pout possible, upgrade to one of the best lip brushes. It will take you to a new level of makeup artistry.
We hope the reviews today helped you find the best makeup tool for your needs. We’d love to hear about your experience with it, so feel free to drop us a comment below.