They’re back – the shiny lip glosses of the 1990s are in style once more. You now have permission from the fashion police to flaunt shimmer on your lips. The hardest part is deciding where to start. Which is the best glitter lip gloss?
For starters, today’s glitter gloss is non-stick and nourishing. You can make a statement and still keep your lips hydrated and healthy. Take a peek and see:
|The best glitter lip glosses||Why we love them|
|Maybelline Lip Lifter Gloss||
|NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Lip Lingerie Glitter||
|HAUS LABORATORIES By Lady Gaga: LE RIOT LIP GLOSS||
|REVLON Super Lustrous Lip Gloss||
|Almay Goddess Gloss||
|Rimmel Stay Glossy 6HR Lip Gloss||
|It'S SKIN Colorable Draw Tint Gloss||
We’ll bet that some of you are wary of glitter at the same time you lust after it. We understand, and that’s why we did a little extra research about lip balm safety concerns.
- 1 Is the glitter in lip gloss safe?
- 2 Is it bad to use lip gloss with mineral oil?
- 3 What is polyisobutene (polybutene)? Is it a safe ingredient in lip gloss?
- 4 Best Glitter Lip Gloss in 2021
- 4.1 Maybelline Lip Lifter Gloss
- 4.2 NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Lip Lingerie Glitter
- 4.3 HAUS LABORATORIES By Lady Gaga: LE RIOT LIP GLOSS
- 4.4 REVLON Super Lustrous Lip Gloss
- 4.5 Almay Goddess Gloss
- 4.6 Rimmel Stay Glossy 6HR Lip Gloss
- 4.7 It’S SKIN Colorable Draw Tint Gloss
- 4.8 e.l.f Lip Lacquer
- 4.9 Unicorn Snot Holographic Glitter Lip Gloss
- 5 Conclusion
Is the glitter in lip gloss safe?
The FDA regulates materials used in cosmetics like lip gloss. The glitter in gloss is not the same as glitter used in crafts. It has to be non-toxic even if it’s consumed – and that’s good news for lip lickers.
Cosmetic glitter has to be finely milled and the tiny particles are rounded to avoid harming the skin. Most of the time, it’s mica that creates the luster, not even biodegradable plastic.
While we weren’t able to investigate each manufacturer’s process for creating glittery lip gloss, we chose well-known brands with reputations to uphold. As far as we know, they adhere to GMP (good manufacturing processes) and create the gloss from safe ingredients in sanitary conditions.
Is it bad to use lip gloss with mineral oil?
Mineral oil gets a bad rap because it’s refined from petroleum. Yet, highly refined and purified mineral oil shows up in all sorts of things from moisturizers to cosmetics and even pills and food. Putting a little gloss with mineral oil on your lips isn’t harmful. At most, it will seal in moisture to keep your lips from chapping (1).
What is polyisobutene (polybutene)? Is it a safe ingredient in lip gloss?
Instead of mineral oil, some manufacturers prefer to use polyisobutene. It’s a polymer that doesn’t dissolve in water, therefore it helps lip gloss last longer. It’s been extensively reviewed by experts and found to be safe when used in cosmetics. Even if consumed in large amounts, it’s non-toxic. Also, it’s non-comedogenic (2).
We hope this information resolved any concerns you might have. So, if you’re ready to refresh your look, here are reviews of the best glitter lip gloss.
Best Glitter Lip Gloss in 2021
Maybelline Lip Lifter Gloss
When it came time to choose the best drugstore glitter lip gloss, it was a hard choice. Most of the same brands that sell lipstick now have glitter lip gloss if only a few colors. Our overall favorite was Maybelline’s Lip Lifter. The hyaluronic acid and moisturizers in it really do seem to make lips a little plumper.
Moreover, the glitter is a subtle shimmer. You won’t have to worry about looking like you borrowed your kid’s lip gloss. It’s a great way to ease back into being glamorous.
What’s more, the texture is super shiny and smooth, never tacky. Hair doesn’t stick to it, and the color lasts for hours. The formula is moisturizing enough that there’s no need for lip balm underneath. Plus, it goes on in one swipe with the generously sized wand.
There is something you should know, however. The gloss smells strongly of vanilla, making it tempting to lick.
Although the label has unpronounceable ingredients, there are a few recognizable highlights like coconut oil and hyaluronic acid.
- Very moisturizing with hyaluronic acid and coconut oil
- High-gloss shine with a subtle shimmer
- XL wand for quick application
- Vanilla fragrance
- Be sure to tighten the lid before tossing it in your bag
- Only a few glitter shades
NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Lip Lingerie Glitter
We met diehard fans of this lip gloss who were eagerly awaiting the day they could go maskless to show it off. Some were wearing it before the pandemic and getting regular compliments because of it.
They gushed about the smooth texture that leaves their lips soft and lustrous. It has a soft fragrance that isn’t distracting. Furthermore, the gloss can be worn over regular lipstick for extra shine.
It contains glycerin to draw in moisture and vitamin E to keep your kisser healthy. The shimmer comes from natural mica, not plastic bits.
Happily, this is a cruelty-free brand certified by PETA. It’s just as well as we can’t imagine chimps with glitter gloss.
- Lustrous and shimmery, can be worn alone or over the top of lipstick
- Features moisturizers and a soft fragrance
- Cruelty-free brand
- We wanted more shades to choose from
HAUS LABORATORIES By Lady Gaga: LE RIOT LIP GLOSS
If you’re on the prowl for holographic glitter lip gloss, we found some. Out of all the brands we reviewed, Lady Gaga’s had the best range of colors. The hardest part will be choosing the first one to buy. We’re certain that you’ll end up collecting more after that.
For example, here are some of the shimmer shades: Tropiglama (mandarin orange with multi-color pearl) and Ethereal (sheer pink with reflective pearl). Yes, there’s black, too.
Each gloss has an extremely shiny finish with a gel texture that wears well on bare lips and on top of other lip colors.
Users say the doefoot applicator’s handy because one part is wide and the other is narrow. The lip gloss glides onto the skin and feels nice. It stays put for hours without bleeding or transferring onto cups
- Very colorful range of shades
- High shine with a pleasant texture
- Lasts for hours without transferring or bleeding
- Likely to encourage excess spending on lip gloss
REVLON Super Lustrous Lip Gloss
Revlon’s lip gloss comes in twenty-four shades, but only a few are glittery. Still, you may fall in love with the regular colors as they are all dewy fresh and gorgeous. Each is intensely glossy yet lightweight and never sticky.
The formula is enriched with moringa oil, Cupuaçu butter, and agave for extra conditioning power. Wearing it will make your lips plump and irresistible.
Reviewers are also pleased with the fine glitter texture and perfect pigment choices.
- Infused with Cupuaçu butter, moringa oil, and agave
- Twenty-four lustrous shades with extra-high shine
- Lightweight on the lips and never sticky
- Not as glittery as some brands
Almay Goddess Gloss
Almay is a go-to brand for those with sensitive skin. Every product is tested by dermatologists to be hypoallergenic. Most are unscented like this lip gloss (which is also unflavored).
There are eight shiny shades with a subtle sparkle to put a smile on your face. Some are downright iridescent, which makes them handy for upgrading boring matte lipstick. They help moisturize the lips with grape, pomegranate, and raspberry oils.
This may be a drugstore lip gloss, but it resists transferring. Users say they only have to touch it up once or maybe twice a day.
Another bonus is the applicator because it pulls out just the right amount each time.
- Eight glossy shades with a subtle sparkle
- Moisturize with raspberry, pomegranate, and grape oils
- Unscented and unflavored, dermatologist-tested for sensitive skin
- We wish there were more colors available
Rimmel Stay Glossy 6HR Lip Gloss
Rimmel promises that you’ll have luscious lips for at least six hours. That’s nice, but what we really love are the color-changing sparkles. It’s true, the shades shift according to the light. The holographic effect makes the lips look more plump.
The gloss also has a pleasing texture with enough weight to stay put. It wears well over lip liner or lipstick.
- Color-changing sparkles that shift depending on the light
- Holographic effect makes lips look plump
- Up to six hours of wear without a touchup
- Some reviews complained that the wear time wasn’t as long as promised
It’S SKIN Colorable Draw Tint Gloss
Korean lip gloss like this one stains the lips for ultra-long lasting color. It has a velvety texture and smells like candied berries. It’s a good thing that the fragrance fades quickly or we would’ve licked our lips clean by lunchtime.
The color is buildable, as is the glittery shine. Use it on bare lips or apply it as a top coat over another color. It wears well with minimal transferring it dries.
The formula is infused with plant oils and nutrients to keep the lips hydrated while you wear it, yet it’s never sticky.
- Buildable, long-lasting color
- Cute applicator
- Velvety texture and plenty of shine, works well alone or as a top coat
- Enriched with plant oils and moisturizers
- Not everyone loves the fruity fragrance
e.l.f Lip Lacquer
What brand is best when you’re on a budget? e.l.f, of course! We like that this lip gloss feels like slippery Chapstick, yet it doesn’t taste weird or have a strong scent.
Just as important, their products are vegan, cruelty free, and don’t contain parabens or phthalates.
They offer ten shades of high gloss lip lacquer, from a silvery sheen to deep red. Not all are sparkly, however. Still, each color naturally softens the lips with plant oils and vitamins A and E. Plus, you can wear it over lipstick and upgrade your look.
- Affordable, vegan, and free of nasty ingredients
- Ten shades, some of which are downright sparkly
- Extra-moisturizing with plant oils and vitamins
- Not strongly scented or flavored
- Wears well over lipstick
- We’re still looking for cons
Unicorn Snot Holographic Glitter Lip Gloss
It smells like cotton candy and twinkles like nobody’s business. You’ll never find lip gloss with more glitter than this one. It offers holographic sparkle that you can wear over the top of lip balm or lipstick.
Don’t worry, the glitter is cosmetic-grade and safe for the skin. The formula is vegan and cruelty-free, too. Although you end up having to touch it up every so often, it’s not sticky and it doesn’t bleed. The texture is a little softer than the typical lip balm.
- Maximum sparkle, holographic glitter
- Cosmetic-grade, vegan, and skin-safe
- Smooth texture wears well over lipstick
- Perhaps a little too sparkly for the office
Give into fun – you deserve it. This has been a difficult year for everyone. Now that you can show off your lips, do it with maximum style. Get yourself the best glitter lip gloss and shine bright, little star.
We’re thrilled if we helped you find your new favorite lip gloss today. If so, we’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
1. https://cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient/mineral-oil-0 accessed May 25, 2021
2. https://cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient/polyisobutene accessed May 25, 2021