Is lipstick safe to use during pregnancy? That’s an intelligent question to ask because it doesn’t just stay on your lips. You consume little bits of it as you drink and eat. Using non-toxic makeup is essential, just like improving your diet while you’re expecting.
Today, we’ll share with you insights about the best pregnancy-safe lipstick. We’re presenting the top performers from pregnancy-safe makeup brands.
After all, lipstick is a handy pick-me-up. When you reach for it, we want you to have a safe experience that keeps you looking and feeling good.
Here’s a quick look at our top picks:
- 1 The top pregnancy-safe lipsticks
- 2 Which harmful ingredients are found in regular lipstick?
- 3 Best Pregnancy-Safe Lipsticks in 2021
- 3.1 Fifth & Skin Better’n Ur Lips Natural Lipstick
- 3.2 Karen Murrell Natural Long Lasting Cruelty-free Non-toxic Lipstick
- 3.3 100% PURE Pomegranate Oil Anti-Aging Lipstick
- 3.4 VSACHAR MD Mineral Lip Gloss
- 3.5 Mom’s Secret Natural Matte Lipstick
- 3.6 Honeybee Gardens Truly Natural Lipstick
- 3.7 Mineral Fusion Lip Stick
- 4 Conclusion
The top pregnancy-safe lipsticks
|The lipstick||Why we love it|
|Fifth & Skin Better'n Ur Lips Natural Lipstick||
|Karen Murrell Natural Long Lasting Cruelty-free Non-toxic Lipstick||
|100% PURE Pomegranate Oil Anti-Aging Lipstick||
|V SACHAR MD Mineral Lip Gloss||
|Mom's Secret Natural Matte Lipstick||
|Honeybee Gardens Truly Natural Lipstick||
|Mineral Fusion Lip Stick||
Are you curious about how we selected the best non-toxic lipstick? We followed guidelines set down by the experts like the FDA.
Which harmful ingredients are found in regular lipstick?
The FDA investigated lipstick for lead content. That’s because, although lead is naturally part of our environment, sometimes cosmetics have an unsafe concentration of it (1).
They found that most lip cosmetics contained 10 ppm or less. Ten parts per million is the maximum amount allowed for safety. Fortunately, the majority of manufacturers were following good manufacturing practices and preventing contamination. That’s excellent news since lead can have a profoundly damaging effect on a developing baby.
But lead is not the only toxin found in lipstick. The brilliant colors are often contaminated by other metals that can wreak havoc with the health of a mother and child. For example, heavy metals like mercury, cadmium, manganese, and chromium, and nasties like coal tar are found in D&C dyes. Unfortunately, they appear in lipsticks made by leading brands.
Next, chemical preservatives like parabens can affect estrogen levels and the endocrine system. They are also potential carcinogens.
Dyes like carmine that create the pink color of certain lipsticks may contain aluminum and other contaminants, plus they could trigger an allergic reaction (2).
Hearing about all these threats could put you off lipstick for life. We wouldn’t be surprised if you switch to a maternity-safe lipstick and keep using it in the future. Let’s take a closer look at the options now.
Best Pregnancy-Safe Lipsticks in 2021
Fifth & Skin Better’n Ur Lips Natural Lipstick
We love lipstick that smells nice and actually moisturizes our lips. It helps if it has great staying power, too. This non-toxic natural lipstick checks all those boxes and more.
For one, the soft fragrance comes from natural vanilla. Happily, it fades quickly, so we don’t end up licking our lips over and over. But even if we did, it wouldn’t be hazardous because there are no toxins in the formula. The lipstick is made with 100% natural, 85% certified organic components. There’s not even carmine in any of the four shades.
Next, the creamy texture is rich in skin conditioners like mango and cocoa seed butter, coconut oil, and avocado. It leaves the lips softer than when you put it on.
Moreover, the matte color is buildable and lasts for at least four hours.
- 100% natural, 85% organic ingredients
- Free of lead, gluten, parabens, and petroleum
- Vegan and certified cruelty-free
- Mango butter, plant oils, and other goodies leave the lips supple
- Pleasant natural fragrance and rich colors
- Made in the USA
- Only four shades
- Will need a touchup after a few hours
Karen Murrell Natural Long Lasting Cruelty-free Non-toxic Lipstick
We admit it—we’re jealous of New Zealand. It seems like they’ve had an easier year than most of the planet. But it also looks like they’ve got the right idea about several things, including lipstick. This New Zealand brand avoids harsh ingredients, plus it’s cruelty-free and follows sustainable business practices.
The lipstick is downright attractive, from the soft aroma when you apply it to the way it soothes dry lips. It makes them look moist and glossy, and the color stays put for hours. Plus, it’s available in over two dozen shades for every skin tone imaginable.
Instead of parabens, mineral oil, coal tar, or carmine, the lipstick is loaded with natural moisturizers. It has avocado and evening primrose oil to keep them kissable.
Even its packaging is well-thought-out. It’s printed with vegetable-based inks on sustainably sourced paper.
- Free of nasty ingredients like parabens, mineral oil, carmine, and more
- Available in twenty-five shades for every skin tone
- Soothing to the lips, with a pleasing scent
- Long-lasting, does not bleed or transfer easily
- Some users aren’t fans of the herbal aroma
- The rich opaque shades aren’t ideal for creating a gradient look
100% PURE Pomegranate Oil Anti-Aging Lipstick
The first lipstick used by humans was probably fruit-based. The founders of 100% PURE took this idea and ran with it. The lipstick they’ve created is so good that it’s been highlighted in several natural living and beauty magazines.
Each of the dozen natural shades comes with a satin finish from the creamy moisturizers inside. Feel free to blot it with a tissue if you prefer a matte look. You’ll never need to put on lip balm underneath to keep your lips hydrated.
Since these are natural colors, they may vary in appearance depending on the natural lip color of the user. But each one will keep the lips soft and young-looking with a hefty dose of antioxidants. Also, the color passes the kiss test and stays put.
Furthermore, the lipstick is free of D&C dyes, artificial preservatives, synthetic fragrances, and toxins. It’s also vegan and cruelty-free.
- Pigmented with fruit and plants, making for intense natural colors
- Available in a dozen shades with a satin finish
- Packed with antioxidants to combat aging
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Company founders left mainstream cosmetics to develop products they aren’t afraid to use
- Customer service handles returns and inquiries quickly
- Without preservatives, the lipstick doesn’t have a long shelf life and may dry out and harden
- The shades are limited to natural colors from fruits and plants
VSACHAR MD Mineral Lip Gloss
It may be lip gloss instead of lipstick, but this is pregnancy-safe makeup. It was developed by a doctor that specializes in high-risk pregnancies. The same company also makes mineral lipstick, and both products can be worn together.
Check the label and you’ll see that it’s based on all natural components with no harmful ingredients. The silky texture goes on smooth and the color lasts surprisingly long. You won’t have to keep reapplying it.
Each one is formulated with botanicals, natural waxes, mineral pigments, and certified organic butters. It’s a blend so moisturizing that it can replace lip balm.
- Developed by a doctor specializing in high-risk pregnancies
- Silky formula infused with botanicals and natural moisturizers
- Mineral pigments only, no harsh chemicals
- Color lasts for hours
- Only a few shades available
Mom’s Secret Natural Matte Lipstick
You know what we’ve discovered? If a brand is careful enough to make gluten-free products, they often avoid artificial ingredients and toxins, too. That’s the case with Mom’s Secret. They also happen to make vegan and cruelty-free cosmetics. They don’t even include GMOs, or genetically modified plants.
The lipstick here has a matte finish that’s astonishingly moisturizing. It nourishes the lips with organic coconut, avocado, and jojoba oils. The majority of the formula is organic, and the rest is natural.
There are five shades, from Pink Chai to Black Cherry.
- Made in the USA with certified organic ingredients, no GMOs
- No artificial preservatives or colors and no gluten
- Very moisturizing for a matte lipstick
- Five rich colors
- Only 85% organic, the rest are natural ingredients
Honeybee Gardens Truly Natural Lipstick
This brand of pregnancy-safe makeup offers twenty-three shades of natural lipstick. The choice is downright overwhelming! You might find yourself exceeding your budget and ordering more than one color. On the plus side, you can relax and enjoy as many shades as you want because they are all non-toxic.
First off, the manufacturer sends batches to a third-party laboratory to test for mercury, lead, arsenic, and other contaminants. They say they’ve not yet had any problems.
Second, they use mineral pigments, not artificial dyes. The bulk of the formula includes healthy moisturizers like castor and sesame seed oil, cocoa seed butter, and plant waxes. Most of these are certified organic. They make for a fabulously moisturizing lipstick.
Wait a minute – isn’t there something about castor oil and pregnancy? As a matter of fact, it’s possible to take castor oil to induce labor. But you have to consume 4 to 8 tablespoons at once (3). The tiny amount in lipstick never reaches that quantity, not even if you used the whole tube in one day.
Third, the formula is free of parabens, GMOs, and gluten. It’s also certified cruelty-free by PETA.
- 23 shades
- Third-party tested for heavy metals and contaminants
- Certified gluten-free, vegan, no GMOs or parabens
- Made in the USA with mineral pigments and organic ingredients
- Needs to be reapplied after eating or drinking
Mineral Fusion Lip Stick
Whether you want non-toxic lipstick, gloss, lip pencil, or butter, Mineral Fusion makes them all. Each one features mineral pigments and no harsh chemicals. We wouldn’t expect anything less from a EWG-verified brand. (If you’re not familiar with the EWG, or Environmental Working Group, look them up. They can help you find all sorts of safe cosmetics and skin care products.)
This lipstick, for example, is free of gluten, parabens, and phthalates. It’s also fragrance-free and vegetarian.
What’s more, it has a luscious texture that plumps the lips with moisture and nutrients. Highlights include shea butter, pomegranate, white tea, and vitamin C.
All of that, plus it doesn’t bleed or smudge.
- EWG-verified brand
- Free of gluten, artificial fragrances, and chemicals
- Fifteen smudge-free shades with mineral pigments
- Certified organic ingredients
- Magnetic case keeps the lid from popping off the tube accidentally and getting lost
- Brand offers non-toxic lip gloss and pencils, too
- Sometimes the color in real life varies from how it looks on the screen
We were pleased to find these natural lipsticks for pregnant women, and we hope they delighted you, too. As you saw, you don’t have to sacrifice color or performance to protect your baby’s health.
If you discovered your new favorite lipstick today, we’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
1.https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productsingredients/products/ucm137224.htmhttps://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productsingredients/products/ucm137224.htm, updated August 24, 2020, accessed April 14, 2021
2. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B978008100371800018X The “Carmine Problem” and Potential Alternatives, by J. Muller-Matsch and C. Gras, published 2016 in the Handbook on Natural Pigments in Food and Beverages, accessed April 14, 2021
3. https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/castor-oil/ by Maura Hohman, Medically Reviewed by James Greenberg, M.D. on April 12, 2021, accessed April 14, 2021