You asked, “How do I keep my red hair from fading?” The answer starts with the way you wash it. The best shampoos and conditioners for red hair have mild cleansers and plenty of moisturizers to keep the pigment from leaching. Some special shampoos for red hair renew the color to keep it vibrant.
Also, it’s smart to use a rinse-out conditioner or leave-in conditioner with UV protection to keep red hair from losing color from sun exposure.
Check out the best shampoos for red-colored hair here:
|The best shampoos and conditioners for red hair||Why we love them|
|Tigi Bed Head Color Goddess Duo Pack||
|Nexxus Color Assure Shampoo and Conditioner||
|COLOR WOW Color Security Shampoo and Conditioner||
|Pureology Smooth Perfection Shampoo||
|John Frieda Radiant Red Colour Protecting DUO||
|Mario Badescu Henna & Seamollient Shampoo||
|Punky Redilicious 3-in-1 Color Depositing Shampoo & Conditioner||
|All Nutrient Warm Red Color + Shampoo||
- 1 Are there different types of shampoo for natural redheads vs. color-treated hair?
- 2 Best Shampoos and Conditioners for Red Hair in 2022
- 2.1 Tigi Bed Head Color Goddess Duo Pack
- 2.2 Nexxus Color Assure Shampoo and Conditioner
- 2.3 COLOR WOW Color Security Shampoo and Conditioner
- 2.4 Pureology Smooth Perfection Shampoo
- 2.5 John Frieda Radiant Red Colour Protecting DUO
- 2.6 Mario Badescu Henna & Seamollient Shampoo
- 2.7 Punky Redilicious 3-in-1 Color Depositing Shampoo & Conditioner
- 2.8 All Nutrient Warm Red Color + Shampoo
- 3 Conclusion
Are there different types of shampoo for natural redheads vs. color-treated hair?
Before you worry about the color, think about your hair type.
- Is it stick straight, wavy or curly, or tightly coiled?
- Is it normal, dry, or oily?
- Are you trying to repair or prevent damage?
The most important thing is to find a shampoo that meets your specific needs. One that won’t weigh down your hair or dry out your scalp. Happily, the best shampoos for red hair are generally moisturizing and reparative. Many are sulfate and silicone-free, too. Check them out in the reviews below.
Best Shampoos and Conditioners for Red Hair in 2022
Tigi Bed Head Color Goddess Duo Pack
Haven’t we all been guilty of choosing a shampoo just because it smelled good? This one is hard to resist because it has the aroma of sugar cookies and caramel. Both it and the matching conditioner are made to keep color-treated hair vibrant and soft.
Moreover, they strengthen each strand with keratin to resist breakage and seal the cuticle to prevent dryness and frizz.
Some of the other highlights include shea butter and coconut, linseed, and sweet almond oils. Each of these contain vitamin E, a potent antioxidant that defends against damage.
On the downside, the label also lists sodium laureth sulfate, amodimethicone (silicone) and sodium chloride (salt). But instead of immediately rejecting the shampoo, consider these facts. SLES (sodium laureth sulfate) isn’t the big bad sodium lauryl sulfate that wrecks color-treated hair. It’s a milder detergent that gets rid of dirt and oil. Next, amodimethicone is helpful for conditioning damaged hair without weighing it down. And salt (used as a thickener in shampoos) is only a problem if you have a keratin treatment.
- Extends the lifetime of a color treatment without adding color
- Conditioning formula packed with vitamin E from shea butter, coconut, and sweet almond oils
- Seals the cuticle, strengthens strands against breakage, leaves hair soft and shiny
- Smells like sugar cookies
- Some shoppers may be wary of the sulfates and silicone in the shampoo, but both are mild alternatives (see the review above for more details)
Nexxus Color Assure Shampoo and Conditioner
How long do you go between color treatments? This sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner are designed to extend hair color for up to 40 washes.
These are salon-quality products specifically formulated to strengthen hair that’s stripped of protein during the dyeing process. They deliver keratin, wheat protein, quinoa, and elastin straight to each strand. As a result, dry hair recovers its elasticity and becomes shiny and soft once more.
For extra brilliance, let the conditioner sit for a few minutes before rinsing. Then, use the Color Assure Glossing Tonic as a leave-in conditioner on damp hair.
Is there a con? We recommend checking the label and/or doing a patch test if you have sensitive skin. There are a handful of ingredients (like the surfactant cocamidopropyl betaine and the artificial fragrance) that could cause irritation.
- Sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner help hair color last up to forty washes
- Strengthen hair with proteins and natural oils
- Salon-quality products with a matching leave-in conditioner ( Glossing Tonic) for extra shine
- Contains ingredients that could be problematic for those with sensitive skin
COLOR WOW Color Security Shampoo and Conditioner
Here is the best shampoo and conditioner if you have sensitive skin or are intolerant to gluten. Both products are free of parabens, sulfates, and silicone, too. Even the fragrance is light and clean.
So, what’s the point of having hair care products without all these extra ingredients? Seriously, these shampoos and conditioners don’t even have pearlizing agents or thickening resins. They won’t leave any residue that could weigh down the hair, dull it, or clog follicles.
More important, both are formulated to be safe for color-treated, keratin-treated, and chemically-processed hair as well as extensions. They provide heat protectant to let you style at will, plus fade protection so the red stays vivacious week after week.
Be sure to choose the best version for your hair type. We selected the “normal to thick” shampoo for this review. It’s best for curls and coarse hair as it seals the cuticle.
Reviewers say they’re astonished by how the shampoo and conditioner have revived their hair, leaving it smooth and soft.
- Perfect for sensitive scalps and Curly Girls
- Free of sulfates, silicone, parabens, gluten, thickening resins, and other unnecessary ingredients that leave a residue
- Safe for keratin-treated, chemically-processed, and color-treated styles as well as extensions
- Includes heat protectant and fade protection
- None – just be sure to choose the appropriate version for your hair type (fine or normal to thick)
Pureology Smooth Perfection Shampoo
Seventy-five washes per bottle! Believe it or not, that’s what the brand proclaims. This ultra-concentrated sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner are recommended for making color-treated, frizzy hair manageable once more. Just a little dab will do ya.
What’s also nice is that they are available in both fine and normal hair versions so that you can get exactly what you need. Follow up with the Smoothing Lotion and the Smoothing Serum for extra heat protection, shine, and frizz control.
The main ingredients are shea butter and camellia, but what you’ll notice first is the aroma of cocoa and marshmallow. The blend of natural ingredients and delicious scents are there to uplift your mind, not just fix your hair.
One last thing – Pureology packages products in post-consumer recycled plastic.
- Economical, concentrated shampoo and conditioner provide up to seventy-five washes per bottle
- Infused with camellia and shea butter for heat protection and frizz control
- Packaged in post-consumer recycled plastic
- It’s hard to argue with cocoa and marshmallows, but maybe not everyone will love the fragrance
John Frieda Radiant Red Colour Protecting DUO
These are not a color-depositing shampoo or conditioner so they won’t stain your shower. But they are formulated to keep that beautiful shade of red from fading or dulling. Part of the magic comes from plum and pomegranate extracts.
We wanted to love these salon products, but we ended up a little disappointed. The shampoo isn’t sulfate-free and it also contains dimethicone, a type of silicone. In fact, the shampoo has sodium lauryl sulfate, the surfactant that gave sulfates a bad rep.
If those niggling details don’t bother you, check out the color-depositing shampoo from the same brand.
- Won’t stain the shower
- Helps maintain a salon-fresh vibrance with plum and pomegranate extracts
- Not Curly Girl Method-approved
Mario Badescu Henna & Seamollient Shampoo
For us, the hardest part about coloring hair isn’t that it fades. It bothers us more when our hair ends up dry and prone to frizz. Thankfully, this paraben-free shampoo resolves the problem. It provides a satisfying cleanse and doesn’t leave behind a heavy fragrance. It makes hair glossy and bouncy, which in turn intensifies the color. Plus, it has henna and lemongrass to bring out natural highlights.
No, it’s not sulfate-free (it has SLES), but if you don’t wash every day, it’s not too drying. Follow up with the rinse-out conditioner to keep things in balance.
- Henna and lemongrass intensify the color and bring out highlights
- Paraben-free and hydrating, leaves hair shiny and bouncy
- Makes frizzy hair manageable
- Not color-depositing but is artificially colored
- Not sulfate-free
Punky Redilicious 3-in-1 Color Depositing Shampoo & Conditioner
Color-depositing shampoo and conditioner are your secret weapons when you can’t get back to the salon as often as you’d like. Be forewarned, this all-in-one product makes for fire engine red results. Not only that, but the color lasts and lasts.
If you’ve never used this type of shampoo, we highly recommend wearing gloves because it stains the skin, especially the cuticles. Don’t worry, you won’t need to wash with it daily to maintain the color.
How to use it? Wet your hair and apply the shampoo from the scalp to the tips. Wait at least three minutes for a touch-up, and up to fifteen minutes for maximum color boost. Rinse with cool water and you’re done, at least until you have to scrub out the bathtub.
The good news is that this is more like a co-wash than shampoo, so it’s extra-moisturizing. It has quinoa, vegetable protein, and shea butter to give your hair a beautiful sheen.
- Color-depositing shampoo and conditioner all-in-one
- Hydrates and fortifies the hair with shea butter and quinoa
- Boosts both shine and color
- Doesn’t need to be used daily to maintain an intense red
- Will stain the skin, so wear gloves
All Nutrient Warm Red Color + Shampoo
If you have coppery or warm red hair, this is the color-depositing shampoo for you. It also brings out the warmth in brown hair. Use it once a week to maintain your favorite shade forever.
It was created with color protection to retain hair dye for as long as possible, plus it guards against fading in sunlight.
Moreover, the vegan formula stimulates hair growth and adds body and shine. There are no sulfates, parabens, amines, gluten, or DEA/MEA to harm your health, either.
- Color-depositing formula for coppery and warm red shades
- Prevents color from leaching during washing or fading in UV light
- Stimulates growth, adds body and shine
- No sulfates, parabens, amines, DEA/MEA, or gluten
- As with any color-depositing shampoo, it’s best to wear gloves when washing with it
Be proud of your gorgeous red hair. Keep it healthy and bright beginning with the way you wash it. Use a shampoo and conditioner that prevent fading and touch-up the color.
We hope the reviews helped you find the hair care products you need today. See that comment box below? Feel free to tell us about how the new shampoo is working out for you.