Guys, it’s the 21st-century. There’s no reason for anyone to walk around with an itchy scalp and flakes on their shoulders. Washing your hair twice a week with the best dandruff shampoo for men solves the problem.
Scroll through the best dandruff shampoo reviews below and pick your weapon. Start at the top for a mild case of dry scalp. Skip to the bottom to see the best anti-dandruff shampoo for hardcore cases.
|The best dandruff shampoos for men||Why we love them|
|KICK Mens Shampoo - Tea Tree Oil and Peppermint Shampoo||
|Art of Sport Anti Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner for Men||
|Head and Shoulders Shampoo, Moisture Renewal||
|Vanicream Free & Clear Medicated Anti-Dandruff Shampoo||
|Selsun Blue Medicated Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo||
|Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo||
|Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo||
- 1 Which dandruff shampoo is best?
- 2 What are the active ingredients in dandruff shampoo?
- 3 Best Dandruff Shampoos for Men in 2023
- 3.1 KICK Mens Shampoo – Tea Tree Oil and Peppermint Shampoo
- 3.2 Art of Sport Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner for Men
- 3.3 Head and Shoulders Shampoo, Moisture Renewal, Anti-Dandruff Treatment and Scalp Care, Royal Oils Collection with Coconut Oil, for Natural and Curly Hair
- 3.4 Vanicream Free & Clear Medicated Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- 3.5 Selsun Blue Medicated Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo
- 3.6 Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo
- 3.7 Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- 4 Conclusion
Which dandruff shampoo is best?
You can pick the best men’s dandruff shampoo if you know what’s causing the problem. For example, if it’s wintertime and the scalp is extra-dry, try a moisturizing shampoo to soothe the itching. Take a look at the Head and Shoulders Moisture Renewal or the Art of Sport combination shampoo and conditioner.
If there’s a lot of styling product buildup causing the flakes, use a clarifying shampoo like KICK Tea Tree Oil and Peppermint or try a salicylic acid shampoo like Neutrogena’s T/Sal.
Vanicream makes the best men’s shampoo for sensitive scalp and contact dermatitis. But it’s the heavy hitters like Neutrogena’s T/Gel and Nizoral that stamp out the fungus that causes dandruff.
What are the active ingredients in dandruff shampoo?
Dandruff is a common affliction for guys. It’s sometimes called seborrheic dermatitis (1).
A classic remedy for dandruff is pyrithione zinc, the active ingredient in Head & Shoulders and similar products.
On the other hand, Selsun Blue uses selenium sulfide. Unfortunately, although it’s a powerful antifungal, the bluish tint of selenium sulfide sometimes affects hair color.
If you prefer natural ingredients, you might find that tea tree oil, or melaleuca, clears up the condition, too.
Coal tar, found in Neutrogena T/Gel, doesn’t smell the greatest, but it calms itching and inflammation.
Lastly, Nizoral has ketoconazole, a potent anti-fungal. It’s the best you can get short of using a steroid cream.
Usually, dandruff shampoo provides results after only one or two washes. If you don’t see results after four or five tries, check with your doctor about other solutions. Also if your shampoo stops being as effective, you may need to rotate between different active ingredients.
Best Dandruff Shampoos for Men in 2023
Check out the reviews of the top anti-dandruff shampoos for men. We hope our selection helps you find exactly what you need.
KICK Mens Shampoo – Tea Tree Oil and Peppermint Shampoo
What’s the best natural men’s shampoo for dry scalp? We recommend one with tea tree oil and plenty of moisturizers.
This one features hair growth remedies as well as dandruff relief. It has soothing peppermint and eucalyptus, tea tree oil, and rosemary to stimulate recovery. There’s also aloe and witch hazel to keep the scalp hydrated.
It comes with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee with a full refund if you’re not satisfied.
What’s more, it’s sulfate-free, which is great news for dry scalp and curly hair. It won’t harm color treatments and doesn’t contain parabens, either.
Those with a gluten allergy should be aware that it has wheat protein. Also, if your hair is extra dry or fragile, follow up with a conditioner.
- Uses proven natural ingredients to eliminate dandruff and stimulate hair growth
- Has tea tree oil, rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, and other botanicals
- Contains no sulfates or parabens; safe for color-treated hair
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee
- Cleans so well you may need a conditioner
Art of Sport Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner for Men
Since it’s a two-in-one product, you don’t need to take up all the space in the shower with a bunch of bottles. The pH-balanced formula relies on 1% pyrithione zinc, a proven cure for dandruff. You might’ve seen it featured in Men’s Health, GQ, Sports Illustrated, or ESPN.
The formula gets rid of buildup, flakes, and grime in one go. It’s sulfate-free and mild enough to treat a dry scalp, but strong enough to clear away excess oil.
It smells like eucalyptus, but that’s only a fragrance. The active natural ingredients include aloe, coconut oil, and witch hazel. There are no parabens or phthalates.
Users say it’s a refreshing alternative to other dandruff shampoos. It works best if you leave it sit on the scalp for a few minutes before rinsing.
- Effective anti-dandruff treatment with 1% pyrithione zinc
- Two-in-one product that washes and conditions
- Contains no sulfates, parabens, or phthalates
- Featured in Men’s Health, ESPN, and Sports Illustrated
- Hydrates and soothes the scalp with aloe, coconut oil, and witch hazel
Head and Shoulders Shampoo, Moisture Renewal, Anti-Dandruff Treatment and Scalp Care, Royal Oils Collection with Coconut Oil, for Natural and Curly Hair
It’s not uncommon to have a dry scalp if you have curly hair. Some dandruff shampoos seem like they make it worse because they strip all the moisture, leaving the hair feeling like straw. This one won’t. It’s enriched with plenty of moisturizers to maintain balance.
Although it’s free of artificial colors and parabens, it’s not sulfate-free. However, it was dermatologist-designed to care for coily and curly hair.
It makes a lot of lather and it’s creamy enough to not drip into the eyes while you let it work. The active agent is 1% pyrithione zinc that eliminates the fungus that causes dandruff.
It’s not specifically a men’s product, but thankfully it has a universally appealing scent. Pair it with the matching conditioner and enjoy flake-free soft and shiny hair.
- Suitable for curly, coily hair with a dry scalp
- Extra-moisturizing yet effective against dandruff with 1% pyrithione zinc
- Pleasant fragrance with plenty of lather
- Contains no artificial color or parabens
- Not sulfate-free
Vanicream Free & Clear Medicated Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Men with eczema, contact dermatitis, or allergies appreciate this hypoallergenic dandruff shampoo. Not only is it free of artificial perfumes and colors, but it also avoids irritants like gluten, protein, parabens, formaldehyde, and sulfates. There’s not even cocamidopropyl betaine, a common component (and potential allergen) in sulfate-free shampoos.
Moreover, the formula is pH-balanced and double-checked by dermatologists to be ultra-mild and effective. The only downside is that some guys with dry hair feel like they need to use the matching conditioner.
The active ingredient is 2% pyrithione zinc, double the concentration found in similar products. (Did you know that pyrithione zinc may help with hair loss?)
The shampoo comes out creamy and doesn’t make a lot of lather. On the other hand, washing with it leaves the hair manageable and the scalp comfortable. It may be a little pricier, but it’s totally worth it for this level of performance and purity.
- Ideal for eczema, contact dermatitis, and allergy-prone skin
- Free of irritants like sulfates, gluten, fragrances, dyes, protein, parabens, formaldehyde, and so on
- Features 2% pyrithione zinc for maximum performance
- Has a matching anti-dandruff conditioner
- Doesn’t make a lot of lather, but easy to work with all the same
Selsun Blue Medicated Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo
Good old Selsun Blue – it’s what we used as kids. Yes, it can discolor blond and gray hair, but it works wonders on seborrheic dermatitis. It stops the itching and flaking after only one wash. We also discovered it helps with tinea versicolor.
If regular anti-dandruff shampoos aren’t getting the job done, try this maximum strength version. It’s based on 1% selenium sulfide, a proven remedy that eliminates oily flakes on all hair types. Plus, it has menthol to calm an itchy scalp.
The formula is fortified with vitamins B5 and E to strengthen the hair and scalp, plus it’s sulfate-free. (Although it says ammonium lauryl sulfate, etc., on the label, these are not considered the harsh, drying sulfates SLS or SLES).
- Potent formula with 1% selenium sulfide
- Treats seborrheic dermatitis and tinea versicolor
- Cools the scalp with menthol and relieves itching
- Infused with vitamins to strengthen the scalp and hair
- Technically sulfate-free
- Has a bit of a chemical odor
Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo
Did you know that coal tar continues to work on the scalp long after you rinse the shampoo? It relieves itching and flaking from dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis. The miracle starts after the first time you use it.
No, this is not a sweet-smelling shampoo. But the scent isn’t overwhelming after the hair dries.
You’ll need to leave it on the scalp for “several minutes” to get the maximum benefits from it. Still, it’s worth it as 0.5% coal tar twice a week is all you need to clear up the scalp.
Furthermore, the shampoo leaves the hair surprisingly soft and shiny.
But don’t look too closely at the label if you’re picky about ingredients. It has a handful of no-nos for people with color-treated and keratin-treated hair.
- Matchless performance against psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and dandruff
- Two shampoos a week maintains a clear scalp
- 5% coal tar is proven to relieve severe itching and flaking
- Leaves the hair shiny and soft
- Contains SLES, cocamidopropyl betaine, and artificial fragrance, and salt – the first three are potential allergens, and the latter wrecks keratin treatments
- Strong odor in spite of the fragrance
Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Nizoral’s shampoo destroys the fungus that causes dandruff with ketoconazole, which binds to the hair’s protein. Like coal tar, it works for hours after shampooing.
Also interesting, it combats hair loss.
Only two washes a week will keep dandruff at bay. What’s more, it’s pleasant to use compared to some dandruff shampoos because it smells nice and makes a lot of lather.
The manufacturer says that the sulfate-free formula is safe for color-treated and chemically-processed hair. However, it contains salt and lists SLES as one of the last ingredients on the label. On the bright side, it shouldn’t affect the color of gray hair unlike Selsun Blue.
- Fungus-killing ketoconazole clears up dandruff at the source
- Continues to work for hours after shampooing
- Only needs to be used twice a week
- Has a pleasant scent and makes a lot of lather
- Described as safe for color-treated and chemically-processed hair but contains SLES
We hope we made it easier to choose between the variety of dandruff shampoos available. You may already have experience with some of these products. If you’re not getting the results you desire, switch to an alternative active ingredient and give it a couple of washes to see if it solves the problem.
If you’d like to share your experience with dandruff shampoo, feel free to leave us a comment below.
1. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dandruff/symptoms-causes/syc-20353850 accessed June 24, 2021
Leave a Reply