Snail mucin products repair dry, damaged skin and smooth lines and wrinkles. But don’t just take our word for it. We double-checked our research with a board-certified dermatologist and a respected skincare blogger.
When asked about snail serum benefits, Dr. Angelo Landriscina (of dermangelo.com) said that the mucin is packed with skin-friendly components like antioxidants, antimicrobial peptides, collagen, and hyaluronic acid. It’s an excellent humectant that draws in moisture and promotes repair at a cellular level (1).
Then, Jude Chao (of Fifty Shades of Snail) named the best snail serums from her personal experience. They include our top pick, CORSX Snail Mucin Essence as well as Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence.
But our investigation didn’t stop there. Our editor applied snail serum nightly for a month and discovered that the best results come when it’s paired with a rich moisturizer. Although snail essence hydrates and soothes, it’s lightweight and needs an emollient cream to seal in the moisture. For example, try the CORSX Snail Mucin Essence followed by the All in One Repair Cream that also contains snail filtrate.
We hope the snail serum reviews below help you find what you need today.
|The best snail serums||Why we love them|
|COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence||
|Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule||
|iUNIK Black Snail Restore Serum Repair Ampoule||
|BENTON Snail Bee Ultimate Serum||
|[Beauty of Joseon] Revive Serum : Ginseng+Snail Mucin||
|83% Snail Repair Intensive Serum with Vitamin B3 + B5 by Cos de BAHA||
|SOME BY MI Snail Truecica Miracle Repair Serum||
- 1 Best Snail Serums in 2022
- 1.1 COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence
- 1.2 Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule
- 1.3 iUNIK Black Snail Restore Serum Repair Ampoule
- 1.4 BENTON Snail Bee Ultimate Serum
- 1.5 [Beauty of Joseon] Revive Serum : Ginseng+Snail Mucin
- 1.6 83% Snail Repair Intensive Serum with Vitamin B3 + B5 by Cos de BAHA
- 1.7 SOME BY MI Snail Truecica Miracle Repair Serum
- 2 Conclusion
Best Snail Serums in 2022
COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence
Why is this the most popular snail serum? Let’s look at the reasons.
First, CORSX doesn’t harm the snails that produce the mucin. They are raised in an environment that simulates their natural habitat so that they produce healthy secretions that are then harvested and processed for cosmetic use (2).
Second, the essence has a high concentration of mucin. At 96.3%, the formula is almost completely snail secretion filtrate. The other ingredients help it penetrate, keep it fresh, and support its function. Highlights include hyaluronic acid, panthenol, allantoin, and arginine, all of which soothe and strengthen the skin.
And third, the serum contains no parabens or artificial fragrance. It’s not sticky or greasy, and it absorbs quickly. For best results, apply it after cleansing and toning and layer moisturizer on top. You’ll only need one or two pumps for the face and neck.
What can you expect when using this snail serum? It has a slight odor that fades almost instantly. The texture is viscous but lightweight. It’s easy to spread on the skin.
Regular use leads to radiant, even-toned skin that looks and feels younger. Some reviewers found that it fades melasma and acne scars and makes large pores less noticeable, too.
- Lightweight, hydrating serum for a radiant complexion and smoother skin
- High concentration of snail secretion filtrate supported by hyaluronic acid
- Fragrance-free with no parabens
- Non-sticky and non-greasy
- Does not require snails to suffer
- Not the least expensive snail serum, but it has an intense amount of mucin
Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule
Since we heard that this is the best snail serum for acne scars, we had to investigate. Snail mucin alone improves wrinkles, but there’s not a lot of evidence that it fades hyperpigmentation. But when we dug deeper, we saw the serum has other anti-aging ingredients like adenosine, panthenol, hyaluronic acid, licorice root, and pomegranate. The latter two ingredients help reduce discoloration caused by sun damage and hormonal imbalance.
That’s why it’s no surprise that this serum is excellent for regenerating the skin. Use it to revive your complexion and fix dullness and dryness. Some users have seen results from one day to the next, but most say it takes a week or longer to enjoy a dramatic difference.
What’s more, it’s been tested by dermatologists to be safe for sensitive skin and it’s free of fragrances, dyes, and parabens. The texture is thick but not sticky or greasy, and it sinks in quickly.
Although it comes in an amber glass bottle to protect it from degradation, store it in a cool, dark place all the same.
- Restores hydration, smooths wrinkles, and fades hyperpigmentation
- Fragrance-free with no artificial colors or parabens
- Features mucin, adenosine, hyaluronic acid, pomegranate, and licorice root
- Remember to protect it from heat and sunlight
iUNIK Black Snail Restore Serum Repair Ampoule
We’ve enjoyed this brand’s tea tree and cica serum, so it wasn’t a stretch to check out the snail serum, too. It’s an all-in-one treatment for younger, healthier skin that’s straightforward to add to any beauty routine.
It has a 70% concentration of snail filtrate supported by a whole cast of botanicals. These include antioxidant-rich superfoods like black beans, black rice, sesame, eggplant, and kelp. The antioxidants neutralize the free radicals and prevent premature signs of aging like wrinkles and dark spots.
Meanwhile, Centella asiatica (the famous cica) calms redness and accelerates recovery from acne breakouts. And finally, a patented blend of soybean, mistletoe, and cogon grass help the skin stay plump.
To get the most from the serum, cleanse and tone, then use the dropper to measure out enough for your face and neck. It only takes a minute to absorb then you can apply moisturizer and sunscreen.
The texture is lightweight and it leaves the skin feeling natural, not tacky or oily. Moreover, it’s alcohol-free with no parabens or artificial fragrance. All the same, the brand offers a satisfaction guarantee in case the serum doesn’t work out for you.
- 70% snail filtrate with superfoods and cica
- Promotes firm, healthy, hydrated skin
- Fragrance-free, with no alcohol or parabens
- None, although we recommend reading the label if you have allergies to any plants
BENTON Snail Bee Ultimate Serum
It’s unique, it’s ultra-potent, but please don’t try this serum if you are allergic to bee stings. It contains bee venom for Botox-like effects.
Still, the base ingredient is 70% snail filtrate blended with Saccharomyces yeast. If that sounds like an odd combination, check out our reviews of the best probiotics for acne and you’ll learn about how good bacteria makes the skin healthier.
The formula also features tea tree and green tea that also banish blemishes. But the final blow to acne scars comes from niacinamide and adenosine. No wonder reviewers say the serum has cleared up their complexions and left them with more radiant, moisturized skin.
Silky out of the bottle, the transparent serum makes the skin a little sticky at first, but dries quickly. It has no scent and it’s made without parabens and other harsh ingredients.
- 70% snail secretion filtrate with probiotics and botanicals like tea tree and green tea
- Also has bee venom to firm the skin
- Makes the complexion more radiant, youthful, and blemish-free
- No parabens or artificial fragrances
- Not for anyone who’s allergic to bees
[Beauty of Joseon] Revive Serum : Ginseng+Snail Mucin
Instead of stacking the formula with snail mucin, this serum takes the opposite approach. It’s only 3% snail filtrate with 63% ginseng root water. It’s designed to leave your face looking dewy fresh.
Ginseng has a well-deserved reputation as an anti-aging herb. It’s packed with polyphenols and other molecules proven to boost circulation and reverse signs of aging. It can help prevent hyperpigmentation and wrinkles as well.
Furthermore, the serum uses niacinamide and licorice root to remove redness and fade discoloration. At the same time, Centella asiatica accelerates recovery from breakouts and damage from environmental stress. Happily, it’s paraben-free and fragrance-free.
One reviewer with rosacea was thrilled at how the serum calmed redness and rehydrated her very dry skin. However, the lightweight formula sinks in fast so it works best if topped with a creamy moisturizer.
- Ginseng serum with snail mucin, niacinamide, and licorice root
- Erases signs of aging and restores hydration
- Fragrance and paraben-free, non-sticky and non-greasy
- Always check the label if you have sensitive skin
83% Snail Repair Intensive Serum with Vitamin B3 + B5 by Cos de BAHA
Let’s be upfront – from what we hear, this company manufactures in Korea but isn’t famous there. The result is a product held up to the same high standards but it’s still affordable. Also, it’s a cruelty-free brand that uses organic ingredients whenever possible.
The serum is excellent for reducing acne scars and revitalizing a dull complexion. It can help minimize wrinkles by boosting elasticity with a strong concentration of snail mucin. Then, niacinamide and licorice root treat dark spots while hyaluronic acid and beta glucan keep the skin hydrated. If you’d like to have dewy, glowing skin, add it to your daily routine.
Since it’s mostly mucin, the texture is a bit sticky and stringy, but don’t let that put you off. It’s easy to apply and doesn’t leave a noticeable residue once it dries. Fortunately, it’s paraben-free, alcohol-free, and fragrance-free.
- High concentration of snail mucin supported by niacinamide and herbs
- Improves elasticity and hydration while fading dark spots
- No artificial fragrance, parabens, or alcohol
- Check the label if you have plant allergies
SOME BY MI Snail Truecica Miracle Repair Serum
This serum is inexpensive and popular in Korea. Using it daily promotes a balanced complexion with smooth, firm texture and natural radiance. It puts a stop to acne breakouts and controls oil production, too.
Instead of using filtrate from regular garden snails, the brand prefers black snail mucin because of the species’ ability to hibernate for six months. They say it’s more potent as the snail is able to maintain its life force with the help of the protective coating.
So, what’s in this pump top bottle? Obviously, there are no parabens, dyes, or perfumes. It’s not just mucin since it also has a hefty dose of niacinamide with willow bark, the natural version of salicylic acid. It’s an anti-acne herb that exfoliates, reduces inflammation, and unclogs pores.
Then, there’s tea tree, an excellent blemish fighter, with licorice root and Centella to calm and clear the complexion. Lastly, it has sage and allantoin to soothe and strengthen the skin.
- Popular, inexpensive anti-acne serum with anti-aging benefits
- Features Black snail mucin, willow bark, and niacinamide
- No parabens, dyes, or artificial fragrance
- The pump top design prevents contamination but also makes it a little challenging to get the last little bit out of the bottle
Add a snail serum to your beauty regimen and enjoy healthier, hydrated skin with a dewy appearance. It’s a simple step that can rapidly improve the complexion and it only takes a few extra moments.
We hope our insights into the best snail serums helped you discover your new favorite skin care product today. If so, we’d love to hear about your experience with it. It’s about it in the comments below.
1. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23652894/ Fabi SG, Cohen JL, Peterson JD, Kiripolsky MG, Goldman MP. The Effects of Filtrate of the Secretion of the Cryptomphalus Aspersa on Photoaged Skin. J Drugs Dermatol. 2013 Apr;12(4):453-7. PMID: 23652894.
2. https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-snails/thai-snails-kept-happy-and-healthy-for-their-cosmetic-slime-idINKCN1IJ0VK Thai snails kept ‘happy’ and healthy for their cosmetic slime, by Juarawee Kittisilpa, published May 18, 20108, accessed September 7, 2021