Is there a natural way to clear up acne? Something that doesn’t rely on harsh chemicals? We bet you already know the answer because you’re here to see tea tree oil face wash reviews.
Tea tree oil is an excellent anti-inflammatory and antibacterial treatment for acne, rosacea, and fungal infections. It’s proven to reduce redness, irritation, and oiliness when applied to the skin. Check out the best tea tree oil face washes below:
|The best tea tree oil face washes||Why we love them|
|Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash||
|ArtNaturals Tea Tree Face Wash||
|Dr. Woods Shea Vision Tea Tree Liquid Facial Cleanser||
|BOTANIC HEARTH Tea Tree Face Wash||
|Era Organics Tea Tree Oil Face Cleanser||
|Uncle Harry's Acne Face Wash||
|Trader Joe's Spa Set: Face Wash and Facial Cleansing Pads with Tea Tree Oil||
- 1 How to use tea tree oil for the face
- 2 Who can’t use tea tree oil face wash?
- 3 Best Tea Tree Oil Face Washes in 2022
- 3.1 Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash
- 3.2 ArtNaturals Tea Tree Face Wash
- 3.3 Dr. Woods Shea Vision Tea Tree Liquid Facial Cleanser
- 3.4 BOTANIC HEARTH Tea Tree Face Wash with Mint
- 3.5 Era Organics Tea Tree Oil Face Cleanser
- 3.6 Uncle Harry’s Acne Face Wash
- 3.7 Trader Joe’s Spa Set: Face Wash and Facial Cleansing Pads with Tea Tree Oil
- 4 Conclusion
How to use tea tree oil for the face
Tea tree oil is steam-distilled from the leaves of the Melaleuca tree that grows in Australia. But like any essential oil, it should not be applied directly to the skin if it’s not diluted first. Otherwise, straight tea tree oil could cause a rash or allergic reaction (1).
It’s much easier to use a pre-diluted product like tea tree oil face wash. Moreover, you’ll benefit from other ingredients like gentle cleansers and moisturizers that purify and hydrate the skin.
Check the product information to see if the face wash can be used daily or twice daily. Typically, since tea tree oil is astringent and a bit drying, it’s best for oily complexions. If you have combination or dry skin, look for a moisturizing face wash.
If you choose to use tea tree oil directly on your face, please dilute it first with a carrier oil. For example, pour a teaspoon of fractionated coconut oil into the palm of your hand and stir in two drops of tea tree oil. Soak a cotton ball and wipe the skin with the mixture. Let it absorb for a couple of minutes, then wash with a gentle cleanser.
Who can’t use tea tree oil face wash?
Persons with eczema should probably avoid any tea tree oil face wash, or at least do a patch test first. Keep the Melaleuca oil away from your eyes, the interior of nostrils, and mouth. If tea tree oil is swallowed in sufficient quantities, it’s poisonous.
Other than that, if you have allergies to fragrances, parabens, or other common face wash ingredients, be sure to check the label.
Best Tea Tree Oil Face Washes in 2022
Now, here are the best tea tree oil face cleansers.
Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash
Let’s begin with an organic tea tree oil face wash for acne. This one is chemical-free. That’s right, there are no sulfates, perfumes, or synthetic ingredients.
The cleanser is olive oil-based Castile soap, making it the perfect match for oily and combination skin. It removes excess oil and impurities without stripping the skin.
The manufacturer uses Australian Eco-Harvest tea tree oil, and it’s the fourth ingredient, ensuring that you get maximum potency with all the benefits. (Compare that to other “tea tree oil” face washes that only list Melaleuca as one of the last ingredients). It’s sandwiched between moisturizing olive oil and soothing chamomile and goldenseal.
Simply washing with this face cleanser calms redness and irritation and leaves the skin soft and comfortable. Feel free to cleanse bug bites, mild burns, and itchy spots with it, too. The anti-inflammatory properties soothe all sorts of problems. Massage it into the skin and let it work for a minute before rinsing to get the most from it.
Users say the liquid is thin and it doesn’t take much to wash the face, so the bottle lasts for a long time. It leaves the skin feeling extra clean and keeps acne at bay. Just be sure to apply moisturizer after washing.
- Natural and organic formula with no synthetic ingredients and no chemicals
- Features Australian Eco-Harvest tea tree oil and Castile soap
- Potent yet soothing formula deep-cleans to reduce acne and calms redness
- Also good for treating bug bites and mild burns
- Suitable for oily, acne-prone complexions
ArtNaturals Tea Tree Face Wash
The face wash from this US-based brand is paraben-free and has no artificial fragrance. However, it has the earthy, slightly minty scent of tea tree oil and it makes the skin tingle pleasantly. Plus, it’s backed by a satisfaction guarantee.
The formula has mild cleansers and moisturizers to remove dirt and oil without dehydrating the skin. It’s suitable for all skin types, but users say it’s best to use a moisturizer after washing with it.
Besides Melaleuca, it has green tea, chrysanthemum, and other soothing ingredients to diminish inflammation and improve the skin’s health.
Users say it’s creamy and makes a light amount of lather, especially if you rub it in your hands before putting it on the skin. It only takes a pea-size amount for the whole face. Most importantly, it doesn’t seem to sting the eyes.
- Gentle cleanser with no artificial fragrance or parabens
- Has the earthy, minty scent of tea tree oil and provides a slight tingle
- Improves the skin’s health with green tea, chrysanthemum, and moisturizers
- Reduces inflammation and improves circulation
Dr. Woods Shea Vision Tea Tree Liquid Facial Cleanser
Recommended for combination, acne-prone, and oily complexions, this face wash provides just enough moisture to keep the skin happy, yet it removes impurities and excess oil. Users who’ve tried other brands of tea tree face washes say it cleanses well without dehydrating. They’ve seen a reduction in breakouts after switching to it.
Sometimes people with oily skin worry that a moisturizing cleanser will clog the pores. This one won’t as it relies on glycerin and certified organic shea butter to keep the skin soft.
And sometimes those with combination skin worry that grease-removing detergents will leave their cheeks extra dry. But this face wash is sulfate-free. Instead, it uses a type of Castile soap is based on coconut and olive oil.
- Free of sulfates, parabens, and perfumes
- Ideal for combination and oily skin, especially acne-prone complexions
- Cleanses without clogging pores and moisturizes to leave the skin comfortable and soft
BOTANIC HEARTH Tea Tree Face Wash with Mint
What if there was a tea tree oil cleanser that would make you look forward to washing your face? How about this one – it feels cooling and hydrating and has a pleasant natural fragrance. Reviewers say it leaves their skin as soft as a baby’s bottom.
But reviews and product description aside, what got us really excited is the ingredients list. Of course, there are no sulfates, parabens, dyes, or perfume. That’s the minimum we expected from a natural tea tree face wash.
Instead, it has coconut-based cleansers that remove impurities and oil without harming the skin. No, there’s no cocamidopropyl betaine (thankfully, as that was Allergen of the Year a while ago). Then, there are healing botanicals like algae, argan oil, rosemary, and jojoba. Tea tree oil is in the bottom third of the list right before hyaluronic acid and coconut oil. There’s even spearmint instead of peppermint oil because it’s milder yet still effective for soothing the skin.
- Soothing botanicals and plant oils with coconut-based cleansers
- No parabens, sulfates, artificial colors or perfume
- Moisturizing and gentle for all skin types
- Natural fragrance appeals to both women and men
Era Organics Tea Tree Oil Face Cleanser
What happens if you combine tea tree oil with salicylic acid? You end up with an excellent anti-acne face wash.
Tea tree oil purifies by killing the bacteria that cause pimples. At the same time, salicylic acid unclogs pores by dissolving oil buildup. Both ingredients relieve inflammation, too.
What’s more, this cleanser helps keep oiliness under control. Feel free to use it on your face or anywhere on the body to clear up and prevent breakouts.
It’s formulated with potent natural extracts like organic aloe, St. John’s wort, burdock, and goldenseal to calm redness and keep the skin clear and healthy. For example, burdock treats acne and psoriasis while goldenseal calms eczema and helps wounds heal faster. Interestingly, dandelion balances oil production and tones of the skin.
For best results, apply the lather and let it work for a couple of minutes before rinsing.
This is a cruelty-free product made by a family-own business in the USA. It’s free of sulfates, parabens, and artificial fragrances.
- The ultimate anti-acne cleanser with salicylic acid and tea tree oil
- Purifies pores and promotes rapid healing
- Calming ingredients like goldenseal and burdock eliminate redness and irritation
- Cruelty-free and made in the USA without sulfates, artificial fragrances, or parabens
Uncle Harry’s Acne Face Wash
Try this exfoliating face wash to renew your complexion. It has a simple, natural formula with bentonite clay, apple cider vinegar, borax, and essential oils. It pairs tea tree oil with eucalyptus to detoxify the pores and minimize oiliness.
Although some clay-based scrubs and masks are drying, this one is not harsh. Even though it controls oil production, it doesn’t dehydrate the skin. Reviewers call it a miracle as it clears up blemishes and prevents acne breakouts.
It’s pH-balanced and clarifying with no harsh detergents or pore-clogging oils. To get the most from it, shake the bottle and massage the product on damp skin. Then wait up to ten minutes before rinsing.
By the way, this is a vegan face wash that’s gluten-free and made with sustainable local materials.
- Exfoliating face wash with essential oils, apple cider vinegar, and bentonite clay
- Works as a scrub and mask to purify pores and reduce oil production
- Vegan, pH-balanced, and clarifying with all-natural ingredients
- Remember to shake the bottle for using it as the ingredients tend to settle
Trader Joe’s Spa Set: Face Wash and Facial Cleansing Pads with Tea Tree Oil
A lot of people were asking about Trader Joe’s tea tree oil face wash. It comes in a set so that you can enjoy both the liquid cleanser and the cleansing pads for toning the skin.
The Castile soap-based cleanser leaves the skin feeling refreshed. It clears the complexion with delicious natural ingredients like coconut and Melaleuca oil, chamomile, goldenseal, and awapuhi.
Then, the cleansing pads soothe and purify the skin with calendula, witch hazel, and tea tree oil.
- Both products feature tea tree oil with other natural ingredients
- No harsh preservatives or unnecessary chemicals
- The cleansing pads are perfect for toning the skin
- The face wash removes makeup and leaves the skin soft
Tea tree oil will work wonders on oily and acne-prone complexions. Choose one of these top face washes to cleanse pores and calm reddened skin. They will clear up blemishes and prevent new ones from forming.
We hope our reviews helped you find the best face cleanser for your needs. If so, feel free to tell us about it in the comments below.
1. https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-tea-tree-oil/art-20364246 by Mayo Cinic Staff, accessed August 16, 2021