Are you looking for the best Manuka honey for skin? You’re in the right place. We rounded up and reviewed the best Manuka honey and Manuka skincare products below.
Manuka honey from New Zealand is much sought after and often imitated. It has outstanding antimicrobial properties for the skin and health benefits for the body (1). Unfortunately, there are fake Manuka honey brands that will try and take your money. But we’ve done the research to steer you clear of the imitators.
So, which brand is best for Manuka honey? It’s not about the brand so much as the rating. Here’s a brief explanation.
- 1 What level of Manuka honey is best?
- 2 How to use Manuka honey on the skin
- 3 Best Manuka Honey for Skin in 2023
- 3.1 Wedderspoon Raw Premium Manuka Honey, KFactor 16
- 3.2 Kiva Raw Manuka Honey, Certified UMF 15+ | MGO 514+
- 3.3 Manuka Health – MGO 250+ Manuka Honey
- 3.4 Manukora UMF 16+/MGO 600+ Raw Manuka Honey
- 3.5 Advanced Clinicals Manuka Honey Cream
- 3.6 Honeyskin Manuka Honey Cream
- 3.7 LILY SADO MILK+MANUKA Coconut Milk & Manuka Honey Gentle Gel Face Wash Cleanser
- 4 Conclusion
What level of Manuka honey is best?
Manuka is a monofloral honey. At least 70% of the pollen content comes from the Manuka tree. Scientific tests can discriminate between this key ingredient and other plant pollen.
Have you looked at a jar of Manuka honey and seen the letters UMF? They stand for Unique Manuka Factor. It’s a grading system that measures the presence of compounds unique to this type of honey.
The compounds are leptosperin and methylglyoxal (MGO). The former affects the amount of fluorescence that the Manuka honey has, making it easy to identify when compared to regular honey. The latter is crucial for skin care. The higher the MGO number, the stronger the antibacterial properties of the honey.
For example, Manuka can have methylglyoxal levels that are one hundred times that of typical raw honey. Manuka is powerful enough to take on bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. As you might imagine, it’s excellent for healing the skin and reducing inflammation.
Therefore, the higher the UMF or KFactor number, the more potent the honey. Moreover, the UMF certification means that the manufacturer is a licensed producer or exporter.
Check out the highest-rated Manuka honey and related skincare products below.
|The best manuka honey for skin||Why we love it|
|Wedderspoon Raw Premium Manuka Honey||
|Kiva Raw Manuka Honey||
|Manuka Health - MGO 250+ Manuka Honey||
|Manukora UMF 16+/MGO 600+ Raw Manuka Honey||
|Advanced Clinicals Manuka Honey Cream||
|Honeyskin Manuka Honey Cream||
|LILY SADO MILK+MANUKA Coconut Milk & Manuka Honey Gentle Gel Face Wash Cleanser||
How to use Manuka honey on the skin
If you have acne, rosacea, eczema, or dry skin, Manuka honey can help clear up the problem. Use it as a spot treatment, cleanser, or mask. It’s not just antibacterial, but it’s also packed with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that promote healing and reduce inflammation. Plus, Manuka honey has a low pH to balance the skin.
To wash with Manuka honey, put half a teaspoon and a few drops of water in the palm of your hand. Stir them together with a finger and massage the mixture on the face. Leave it there for at least a minute before rinsing lukewarm water. Then pat dry and apply moisturizer. Those who’ve tried it say that it leaves the skin soft and hydrated.
Put a small dab of honey on a pimple right before bed. Or make a homemade treatment mask with Manuka honey – there are excellent recipes available online. Here is what you need to get started:
Best Manuka Honey for Skin in 2023
Wedderspoon Raw Premium Manuka Honey, KFactor 16
It looks like liquid gold and smells a little like mint. This viscous honey straight from New Zealand carries a high potency rating with a matching price tag. But users are thrilled with it.
Whether you want it for digestive troubles or to treat acne-prone skin, you can bank on it being the best Manuka honey for the money.
The huge bees that make this honey fly high into the hills to reach the flowers blooming on the Manuka tree. These are non-GMO plants, having never been genetically altered.
Each hive is carefully monitored and the honey is traced from the time it’s harvested until it’s delivered. This ensures authenticity and purity. Then, each BPA-free jar is packed and sealed in New Zealand before distribution abroad.
- Authentic Manuka honey from New Zealand
- High potency, made with pollen from non-GMO plants
- Rich golden color, thick consistency, and slight mint flavor
- Suitable for taking internally and using topically
- Packed in a BPA-free jar
Kiva Raw Manuka Honey, Certified UMF 15+ | MGO 514+
If you want only the best Manuka honey for the skin, check out the ratings on this one. It has excellent purity and potency. The MGO number is over five hundred, making this honey ideal for digestive health and skincare. (For comparison, an MGO of 30+ is your typical everyday sweetener and the highest UMF we’ve discovered was 1700+.)
Moreover, every single batch is independently tested. A laboratory outside the company verifies the Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) and the amount of methylglyoxal. Then, each batch is traced from the hive throughout the harvesting, testing, and packing process.
Of course, the company carries a license from the UMF Honey Association – that’s verifiable online.
Feel free to use this honey straight on your skin or blend it with your favorite DIY face mask ingredients. We suggest ripe banana or green tea powder.
- High UMF and MGO ratings make this honey ideal for skin care and overall well-being
- Independently tested for potency and purity
- Company is licensed by the UMF Honey Association
Manuka Health – MGO 250+ Manuka Honey
Do you know what’s nice about Manuka honey when you use it in a face mask? It’s safe to use every single day. It moisturizes and gets rid of acne-causing bacteria without irritating the skin or clogging pores.
The MGO rating on this honey is high enough for all sorts of uses. It tastes great and can help with digestion and overall health. Furthermore, it has plenty of methylglyoxal to heal the skin. Each kilogram (2.20 pounds) of this honey has a minimum of 263mg of this essential component.
It’s tested and certified in an accredited, independent laboratory. And since the honey is so valuable, it’s traced from the beehive to the store to make sure it’s not tampered with or diluted.
Reviewers say that this brand of Manuka honey has brought them relief from acne, MRSA infections, and other skin problems.
- Independently tested for potency and traced from the hive to the store
- Each kilogram of honey features a minimum of 263 mg of methylglyoxal
- Suitable for dietary use and improving the skin’s health
- None, plus it’s more affordable than Manuka honey with a higher MGO
Manukora UMF 16+/MGO 600+ Raw Manuka Honey
Go ahead, geek out over this honey. It’s packaged with a QR code that reveals where in New Zealand the honey is harvested and where it’s packaged. Zoom in on the map and you’ll see some pretty inaccessible locations! The code also shows the batch number, best before date, the ratings, and the potency.
The manufacturer has been in business since 1998. They’ve had plenty of experience harvesting honey from remote spots. That’s right, this isn’t from a farm of hives in a field. It’s wild, raw honey straight from nature.
What’s more, it’s non-GMO verified and free of glyphosate residue. That’s a pesticide that’s not only harmful to humans but also deadly to bees.
- Certified non-GMO and glyphosate-free
- Harvested from remote locations by an experienced manufacturer
- Packaged with a QR code that shows the ratings, potency, and harvesting location of the batch
Advanced Clinicals Manuka Honey Cream
Let’s switch gears from raw honey to skincare products with Manuka. This moisturizer is a spa-quality cream made for the face and body. It comes in a 16-ounce pump-top jar.
It’s designed to rehydrate very dry skin and fade acne scars, sun spots, and other types of hyperpigmentation. Regular use will rejuvenate your skin.
The formula features Manuka honey, Royal Jelly, propolis, and beeswax to moisturize and heal the skin. They ward off acne, too. Users say the cream makes a visible difference after only one use. Moreover, applying it daily makes the skin look and feel younger.
Happily, it’s made in the USA and paraben-free. However, you should be aware that there is no description of what level of Manuka honey it contains – no MGO or UMF numbers.
- Skin-rejuvenating moisturizer with Manuka honey, Royal Jelly, beeswax, and propolis
- Safe for the face and body, it won’t clog pores
- Paraben-free and made in the USA
- Packaged with a convenient pump top
- No UMF or MGO ratings for the honey it contains
Honeyskin Manuka Honey Cream
We think this is the best Manuka honey moisturizer because it features organic, natural ingredients and no artificial fragrance or parabens. It’s pH-balanced to help the skin retain moisture. (Why does the pH matter? Think about dish soap. It has a high pH because it’s alkaline and it leaves the skin dehydrated. Meanwhile, a pH of 5.5 matches the skin to keep it happy).
This buttery cream sinks deep into the skin to keep it moisturized even when you wash it often. It can help reduce puffy eyes, undereye circles, dark spots, and crepey skin. It can also calm eczema. Use it on the face or body as it’s quick-absorbing and not greasy.
Instead of water, the base ingredient is aloe juice. Manuka honey is the fifth ingredient right before coconut oil and cocoa seed butter.
- Manuka honey moisturizer for the face and body
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free, and made with organic ingredients
- Absorbs quickly and deeply to maintain hydration in the skin
- Also treats redness, inflammation, dark circles, and puffy eyes
LILY SADO MILK+MANUKA Coconut Milk & Manuka Honey Gentle Gel Face Wash Cleanser
Yes, you can wash your face with straight Manuka honey. If you would like additional benefits, try a cleanser with Manuka. This one comes with a thirty-day satisfaction guarantee. Furthermore, it’s cruelty-free and contains no parabens, phthalates, or animal ingredients.
It’s a gel cleanser that’s ideal for soothing acne-prone complexions and sensitive skin. Alongside Manuka, it has coconut milk, aloe, and tea tree oil. Did you know that tea tree (Melaleuca) is a cousin to the Manuka plant?
Lastly, the formula features pearl powder with minerals that stimulate collagen and tighten pores. It leaves the skin radiant.
Users say the cleanser smells a little bit like flowers and coconut. It leaves the skin smooth, soft, and glowing.
- Gentle yet powerful cleanser for sensitive and acne-prone complexions
- Manuka honey, coconut milk, aloe, pearl powder, and tea tree oil hydrate, purify, and leave the skin radiant
- Comes with a thirty-day satisfaction guarantee
- Cruelty-free and contains no parabens, animal ingredients, or phthalates
- None, unless you’d prefer an unscented face wash
Manuka honey is excellent for the skin. Take it internally to boost your health and use it externally to treat dryness, acne, scars, eczema, and more.
We hope our reviews helped you find the best honey for skin care today. If so, we’d love to hear about your experience with it. Please feel free to drop us a comment below.
1. https://touroscholar.touro.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1129&context=sjlcas The Scientific Evidence Validating The Use of Honey as a Medicinal Agent, by Raitzel Chemda Bernstein of Touro College, published 2013, accessed August 16, 2021
Leave a Reply