How about a beauty treatment that soothes and smoothes the skin and brightens the complexion without chemicals? It’s called Gua sha, or “sand scraping”.
This ancient Chinese technique was first documented over two thousand years ago. It encourages the skin to heal itself by promoting healthy blood circulation and lymphatic drainage. The authentic gua sha practice was much rougher on the body and often left bruises behind (1).
But the current method using the best gua sha facial tools is much gentler. It decreases dark circles and puffiness and minimizes fine lines and wrinkles. The results are usually visible after the very first treatment.
What is the best gua sha tool? Beauty influencers debate the worthiness of jade versus rose quartz and other gua sha stones. But in reality, the treatment can be done with anything from worn-down coins to ceramic soup spoons. What matters is the technique of using gentle pressure with even strokes following the direction of lymphatic flow. The face has delicate skin that responds well to a feather-like touch.
Check out the best gua sha facial tools here:
|The best gua sha facial tools||Why we love them|
|Gua Sha Facial Tools Set, OHH Rose Quartz|
|Rena Chris Gua Sha Facial Tool|
|HEART CAN FEEL Best Jade Gua Sha Scraping Massage Tool|
|Mount Lai - The De-Puffing Rose Quartz Eye Massage Tool|
|Stainless Steel Gua Sha Tool with Travel Pouch - By SACHEU|
|RoselynBoutique Jade Roller for Face and Gua Sha Set|
|Leosense Jade Gua Sha Massage Scraping Tool Massage Comb|
In a moment, we’ll review each one to help you make a decision. In the meantime, here are answers to frequently asked questions about gua sha as an at-home beauty treatment.
Table of Contents
- How does gua sha improve the complexion?
- How often should gua sha be done on the face?
- What type of stone is best for gua sha?
- Best Gua Sha Facial Tools in 2021
- Gua Sha Facial Tools Set, OHH Rose Quartz
- Rena Chris Gua Sha Facial Tool
- HEART CAN FEEL Best Jade Gua Sha Scraping Massage Tool
- Mount Lai – The De-Puffing Rose Quartz Eye Massage Tool
- Stainless Steel Gua Sha Tool with Travel Pouch – By SACHEU
- RoselynBoutique Jade Roller for Face and Gua Sha Set
- Leosense Jade Gua Sha Massage Scraping Tool Massage Comb
How does gua sha improve the complexion?
Although there haven’t been many studies done on the benefits of lymphatic drainage for the face, there are many anecdotal reports of positive results seen after facial massages done with gua sha tools (2). The lymph system is responsible for removing waste, but it doesn’t have a pump as the bloodstream does. Therefore, lymph nodes can get clogged and swollen, leading to a bloated complexion. Stimulating the skin with the right method and proper tools can help the face detox naturally.
How often should gua sha be done on the face?
Start with once-a-week treatments and work your way up to two or three times per week if desired. Practice makes perfect but take it easy in the beginning to see how your skin reacts.
What type of stone is best for gua sha?
The experts recommend smooth tools that are easy to grip and shaped to fit the curves of the face. We selected different shapes and materials below to help you find the perfect ones for your needs. For example, you might prefer a naturally cool stone like jade to soothe undereye bags. But rose quartz is said to be calming to sensitive skin.
In any case, stick to tools with smooth, rounded edges. Remember that you’ll be using them with a lubricant like facial oil and they will need to be cleaned. Stainless steel tools can be sanitized, but stones should only be washed with mild soap.
Best Gua Sha Facial Tools in 2021
Now you can learn more about gua sha tools below.
Gua Sha Facial Tools Set, OHH Rose Quartz
Let’s begin with a set of tools for facial and body massages. They are designed for gua sha treatments that you can do for yourself or provide for someone else. They also make a nice gift as they come with beautiful packaging and a satin drawstring bag.
All three stones are beautiful rose quartz, said to ward off negativity and increase blood circulation. They are mined in South Africa and are rich in minerals that are beneficial to the skin.
Each stone has a different shape such as bunny ears, a sheep’s horn, and a heart. But each tool is appropriate for treating multiple parts such as the chin, nose, forehead, and around the eyes. Use whichever tool is most comfortable for you to hold and control.
What’s even better is that the kit comes with a free guidebook to teach you how to use them. And there’s even a six-month warranty.
- A set of three pink rose quartz gua sha stones in three different shapes
- Appropriate for treating all parts of the face and the body
- Package includes a satin drawstring bag and instructional e-book
- Can be heated with warm water or cooled in the refrigerator before using
- Should be cleaned with mild soap and water only
Rena Chris Gua Sha Facial Tool
Chances are when you search for a gua sha facial tool, the top results will be heart-shaped jade stones like this one. That’s because it’s very versatile for treating the whole face.
The top notch fits over the bridge of the nose and along the jawbone. The long side works well for the cheek and forehead as well as the neck. The shorter curved side can take care of the skin around the eyes. Lastly, the bottom point is good for acupressure anywhere on the body.
What’s more, jade is reputed to have emotional healing properties and may bring success and happiness to the owner. In any case, it feels soothing and cool to the touch.
Each stone is handcrafted and polished, making each one unique. The general measurements are about 3.2 inches long by 2.2 inches wide. It’s the ideal size to fit in the palm of the hand.
- Green jade stone, palm-sized, polished and smooth
- Heart-shaped to treat the entire face as well as the body
- Packed in a gift box
- The color and size may differ between stones, but the general shape should be the same
HEART CAN FEEL Best Jade Gua Sha Scraping Massage Tool
It’s not just for facial treatments. If you’re interested in myofascial release therapy, you can use this scraping tool for it. Look it up if you’re not familiar with it – it might be just what you need to relieve chronic muscle pain.
Some users love it for relieving sinus pressure, too. They say a massage with it helps them sleep better at night.
The shape is similar to bunny ears stones but with smaller bumps. Therefore, it’s handy for treating under the eyes, along the jawline and the nose, or anywhere on the body. If you have questions, it comes with a free instructional e-book.
The stone is pure jade with anti-aging minerals. It’s highly polished and smooth, but each tool will be slightly different in color from the next. That’s normal for real jade. If you aren’t pleased with it, however, it comes with a satisfaction guarantee.
- Palm-sized jade stone with a gleaming finish
- Shaped for facial treatments and body massage including myofascial release therapy
- Package includes a free instructional e-book and a satisfaction guarantee
- Although approximately 5mm thick, the stone is fragile if dropped
Mount Lai – The De-Puffing Rose Quartz Eye Massage Tool
Mount Lai offers different gua sha tools made from a variety of stones. For example, they have jade and amethyst heart-shaped stones as well as jade rollers. Each is made from natural materials which are never dyed or artificially treated.
We selected a rose quartz tool that’s specially crafted for treating the eyes. The cool, smooth stone is easy to grip and use. It improves circulation, getting rid of puffiness and bags. Massaging with it perks up tired eyes and helps creams or serums absorb.
Glide the tool with gentle pressure under the eyes from the inner corner towards the outer corner. Stroke a few times before sliding the tool across the eyelid as well.
- Soothing rose quartz perks up tired eyes and reduces puffiness
- Helps eye cream absorb
- Perfectly contoured for treating the eye
- All-natural and highly polished
- Specifically designed for treating the eyes and not as versatile as some other tools
Stainless Steel Gua Sha Tool with Travel Pouch – By SACHEU
Do stainless steel tools work for gua sha? As a matter of fact, yes. Traditional practitioners are known to use smooth coins and ceramic, not just stone.
This solid steel tool is shaped like a traditional gua sha scraper with a heart shape. It’s straightforward to clean and sanitize, unlike stone which can only be washed with mild soap.
That’s because it has a non-porous surface that won’t soak up bacteria. Plus, it’s naturally cool to the touch and can be warmed quickly in the hands. Also important, it’s unbreakable, unlike jade or quartz.
Happily, the special shape is suitable for every part of the face. Just rotate the tool to follow the jawline, the cheekbones, around the eye, and the bridge of the nose. It has plenty of heft so you only need to exert minimal pressure to get rid of congestion.
- Durable, smooth stainless steel that won’t break and can be sanitized
- Non-porous surface won’t absorb treatment oils or bacteria so the tool stays sanitary
- Quick to cool down or warm up
- Heart-shaped to treat every part of the face
- No mineral benefits from using steel
RoselynBoutique Jade Roller for Face and Gua Sha Set
How do you apply serums or moisturizer? Do you pat it on or rub it in? Try using a jade roller instead. It helps absorption by increasing circulation without tearing at delicate skin.
This kit comes with a roller and a gua sha scraper. Perform the scraping treatment first then apply face cream with the roller to wrap up before bed. The wide and narrow ends simplify application anywhere on the face. Think about it: a pampering massage like this is bound to help you relax.
Both the roller and scraper are handcrafted from natural jade. Every part is polished smooth and carefully shaped. The traditional heart-like configuration ensures you can treat the whole face from the chin to the forehead.
- Traditional heart-shaped gua sha scraper with a jade roller
- Budget price allows experimenting with both tools
- Even the handle of the roller is jade, making it a bit fragile
Leosense Jade Gua Sha Massage Scraping Tool Massage Comb
Talk about an all-purpose tool – this jade comb makes for an extremely relaxing head massage. Moreover, the handle is a scraping tool for facial and body treatments.
The stone is 100% genuine XiuYan jade from the Liaoning Province of China. It’s compact but handy at approximately 4 inches long, making it larger than the other gua sha tools we reviewed.
It comes with a fabric carrying sack, a warranty, and a free e-book with instructions.
- Ideal for head, face, and body massages
- Pure green jade from China in a convenient size for gripping
- Comes with free instructions, a warranty, and a storage sack
- Not suitable for grooming the hair
It’s surprisingly inexpensive to get started with gua sha. Choose from a variety of handcrafted scrapers in different materials depending on your needs.
Once you’ve experienced the benefits of gua sha, we’d love to hear what you have to say. Feel free to leave us a comment below.
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gua_sha accessed April 28, 2021
2. https://www.healthline.com/health/lymphatic-drainage-face by Lauren Sharkey on July 23, 2019, Medically reviewed by Cynthia Cobb, DNP, APRN, WHNP-BC, FAANP, accessed April 28, 2021