Putting mucus on your face sounds gross. But what if I told you that snail masks are good for you? And not just good, but awesome! They heal dry skin and inflammation in record time. That’s because snail mucin is full of moisturizers, proteins, antioxidants, and all sorts of nourishment for the skin.
For now, the best snail masks come from Korea. Check out our favorites below then scroll down to see in-depth snail face mask reviews.
|The best snail masks||Why we love them|
|COSRX Advanced Snail Mucin Power Sheet Mask||
|MISSHA Super Aqua Snail Sleeping Mask||
|LA PURE Korean Face Mask||
|SKEDERM Snail Jelly Face Mask||
|LAPCOS Escargot Sheet Mask||
|FaceTory Oh My Goodness Rejuvenating Snail Sheet Mask||
|MOTHER MADE Deep Moisturizing Snail Mucin Facial Sheet Treatment||
- 1 Are snails harmed to make snail masks?
- 2 What can snail mucin do for the skin?
- 3 Best Snail Masks in 2023
- 3.1 COSRX Advanced Snail Mucin Power Sheet Mask
- 3.2 MISSHA Super Aqua Snail Sleeping Mask
- 3.3 LA PURE Korean Face Mask
- 3.4 SKEDERM Snail Jelly Face Mask
- 3.5 LAPCOS Escargot Sheet Mask
- 3.6 FaceTory Oh My Goodness Rejuvenating Snail Sheet Mask
- 3.7 MOTHER MADE Deep Moisturizing Snail Mucin Facial Sheet Treatment
- 4 Conclusion
Are snails harmed to make snail masks?
The most pressing question we had when we first heard about mucin masks is whether or not it hurts the snails to harvest the snail secretion filtrate. After all, snails are considered to be pests and also food in some parts of the world.
We heaved a big sigh of relief when we found out that the snails live like royalty and don’t have to die or even suffer.
Seriously, take this example of a snail farm in Thailand. The farmer has over 200 ft.² made into a copy of the snails’ natural habitat. They eat leafy greens and organic cucumbers to stay in top condition. Moreover, they even take a vacation from production for four months every year (1).
So, how does the farmer harvest the mucin? He lets drops of water fall on each snail so that it secretes the mucus which is removed and shipped off to a laboratory. As a result, he earns nearly five times minimum wage. It’s a good deal for humans and snails alike.
What can snail mucin do for the skin?
Snails produce a secretion to protect their skin from drying out. It guards against injury, infection, bacteria, and UV rays, too. But how did someone get the bright idea of using it for the face?
In modern times, a Chilean family raised snails to sell for food. They handled a lot of the slimy creatures with their bare hands and noticed something astonishing. Cuts healed faster and their skin was extra soft and smooth. Fast forward a few years and snail mucin had become a hot product. Not only was it appearing in face creams and masks, but also used by burn victims for quicker healing (2).
Snail secretion filtrate can make a dramatic difference in your skin’s health. It’s overflowing with nutrients like hyaluronic acid, vitamins, and peptides that keep the skin hydrated and young-looking. It smooths fine lines, clears up acne, and reduces discoloration. If you’re in search of a dewy glow, try one of the snail masks below.
Best Snail Masks in 2023
COSRX Advanced Snail Mucin Power Sheet Mask
CORSX makes a popular Korean snail cream as well as one of the best Korean snail masks. What makes them stand out? For one, the snail serum has up to seven times higher concentration of mucin than similar products. (That’s 35,000 ppm for the curious).
Second, this is a clean beauty brand that’s also cruelty-free. There are no parabens or phthalates, plus the snail essence is dermatologist-tested and hypoallergenic.
Each sheet mask is made with soft cellulose that holds a lot of serum and feels pleasant on the skin. It stays in place without dripping for the recommended fifteen minutes or longer. The only downside is that the face mask design may not fit every face perfectly. For example, our editor found that the part for the upper lip was a little thin and left a gap under her nose. But there’s plenty of extra essence in the bag, so she dabbed that on the bare spots.
In fact, we highly recommend scooping out the leftover serum and applying it on your neck, elbows, or anywhere you’d like to have softer skin. It’s a little sticky and feels a bit like snot, but it feels soothing and has virtually no scent.
- High concentration of snail mucin for maximum results
- Soothing and super moisturizing for the skin
- From a cruelty-free Clean Beauty brand
- Contains no parabens, phthalates, or artificial fragrances
- Hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested
- The sheet masks are supposed to be one-size-fits-all, but they don’t adapt perfectly to every face
MISSHA Super Aqua Snail Sleeping Mask
If you’d rather not bother with fussing over a sheet mask that doesn’t quite fit, this is a snail mask in a tube. You can use as much or as little as you need – some people use it just for the skin around their eyes.
The formula is 30% snail extract with other beneficial ingredients like baobab tree and phytoncide, a natural antimicrobial. It fixes damage at a cellular level. Smooth it like a lightweight lotion on before bed and wake up with baby soft skin and a radiant complexion.
Reviewers say that it works like a dream on oily or combination skin. It doesn’t clog pores but instead reduces acne. However, those with mature or extra-dry skin might need something a little heavier.
- 30% snail extract with other nourishing ingredients to repair damaged skin
- Lightweight and ideal for normal, combination, or oily skin
- Put it on at night and wake up with a radiant complexion
- Might not be rich enough as a night cream for very dry or mature skin
LA PURE Korean Face Mask
Each sheet mask here has 7000 ppm of snail secretion, which is a high concentration. It’s also packed with healing extracts like aloe, ginseng, cucumber, and green tea. Together, these ingredients accelerate recovery from acne breakouts, calm redness, and leave the skin soft and comfortable.
The fabric of the mask is 100% cotton and it fits Western faces pretty well. It holds plenty of the essence to keep the skin damp for the full fifteen minutes or even half an hour.
The product is cruelty-free and has no parabens, although it does list an artificial fragrance as the final component.
- 100% cotton sheet mask soaked in snail serum with other healing ingredients
- Accelerates recovery from acne and inflammation while it hydrates the skin
- Cruelty-free and paraben-free
- Do a patch test if you have sensitive skin
SKEDERM Snail Jelly Face Mask
Although this snail mask lists a lower concentration (5000 ppm) of mucin, it’s not a typical fabric sheet mask. It’s hydrogel and it feels like slimy jelly. If you can get past the sensation, you’ll be astonished by the results. It fixes dry skin like nobody’s business.
The intense moisture comes from the snail filtrate and many other delicious natural extracts. Take a look at the label and you’ll see licorice root, Damascus rose flower water, Centella asiatica (cica), collagen, and all sorts of botanicals that you probably never heard of.
Based on the happy squees of satisfied users, it’s definitely worth a try. The only downsides come at the end of the ingredients list. We’re just not fans of artificial fragrances and preservatives.
- Hydrogel mask that cools and hydrates the skin
- Packed with botanicals like Centella asiatica, licorice root, and Damascus rose flower water
- Has 5000 ppm concentration of snail mucin
- Check the label if you have sensitive skin
LAPCOS Escargot Sheet Mask
The packaging may be plain but the benefits are beautiful. It has an apt name – “Damage Control”. Plus, this K-beauty snail mask is backed by a satisfaction guarantee.
The fabric is a blend of rayon and Tencel to hold the right amount of serum and feel comfortable on the face. Then, the essence blends snail mucin with soothing chamomile and spirulina, a potent antioxidant to combat premature aging.
Once you’ve worn it for the requisite twenty minutes, peel off the sheet and pat the serum into the skin.
- Soothing blend of snail secretion, chamomile, and spirulina to speed up healing
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee
- Leftover essence serves as moisturizer
- The full list of ingredients was only available on the manufacturer website—there’s an artificial fragrance right in the middle
FaceTory Oh My Goodness Rejuvenating Snail Sheet Mask
We laughed at the cute packaging with the shocked snail on the front. But this is a Korean sheet mask with some serious benefits. It can hold its own against certain more expensive brands.
To begin with, it plumps the skin with snail secretion, aloe, and shea butter. Next, it tightens pores with witch hazel and calms redness with allantoin. It may not have as high a concentration of mucin as some masks, but it’s beloved all the same. Users with rosacea find that it calms their complexions and those with psoriasis are happy with how it hydrates their faces.
The mask itself is made of rayon which feels like silk. The formula is paraben-free, but it does list an artificial fragrance as the final ingredient.
- Rayon sheet mask feels like silk and soothes redness
- Hydrates with snail secretion, aloe, and shea butter
- Tightens pores and leaves the face glowing
- Affordably priced
- Those with sensitive skin should check the label
MOTHER MADE Deep Moisturizing Snail Mucin Facial Sheet Treatment
This is a premium snail mask that’s worth every penny. It features a superior concentration of snail secretion (10,000 ppm) for an intense treatment. It’s like getting a makeover in less than half an hour.
Not only does it fights signs of aging by boosting collagen, but it also repairs damage and refreshes thirsty skin. The fabric consists of natural bamboo and eucalyptus fibers and it fits every contour of the face.
What’s more, it’s free of artificial fragrances, oils, parabens, phenoxyethanol, dyes, and PEGs. It’s hard to find a face mask this pure for sensitive skin.
Glance at the label and you’ll see proven anti-aging and anti-acne ingredients like Centella asiatica, hyaluronic acid, ceramides, collagen, and vitamin E. Users say the mask is extremely moisturizing without being greasy or sticky. It also makes pores visibly smaller.
- Premium snail mask with 10,000 ppm concentration of snail secretion
- Pure formula for sensitive skin – no artificial perfumes, parabens, or PEGs
- Packed with anti-acne and anti-aging ingredients like cica, collagen, and ceramides
- Extremely moisturizing but not sticky or oily
- It’s a little pricier than the competition
Don’t put it off any longer – try a snail mask and be prepared to be surprised. You can’t get these kinds of results from an ordinary sheet mask. The extra hydration revives thirsty skin while nutrients restore the complexion to health.
We hope you found your new favorite beauty mask today. If so, drop us a comment below.
1. https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-snails/thai-snails-kept-happy-and-healthy-for-their-cosmetic-slime-idINKCN1IJ0VK Thai snails kept ‘happy’ and healthy for their cosmetic slime, by Juarawee Kittisilpa, published May 18, 20108, accessed September 7, 2021
2. http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/317e4925a9b68149e7fea2932b3f7201 AP TELEVISION aired on April 17, 2006 10:03 AM, accessed September 7, 2021