You’ve heard about BB cream and now you’re curious. Is CC cream better for older skin?
As a matter of fact, it is. CC cream checks all the boxes for aging skin. It moisturizes, color-corrects blemishes, and enhances the complexion. Many CC creams provide sunscreen as well.
What’s the best CC cream for mature skin? That’s what we researched to find out. We sought out the best brands of CC cream and reviewed them here for you. Check out our top picks below:
|The best CC cream for mature skin||Why we love them|
|IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream|
|Physicians Formula Super CC Color-Correction + Care CC Cream|
|Juice Beauty Stem Cellular CC Cream with Zinc SPF 30|
|Erborian CC Cream High Def Skin Perfector|
|Dermablend Continuous Correction Tone-Evening CC Cream SPF 50+|
|purlisse Youth Glow VITAMIN C CC CREAM SPF 50|
|Eucerin Sun Photoaging Control CC Face Cream SPF50|
Table of Contents
- What does mature skin need?
- Best CC Creams for Mature Skin 2021
- IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream
- Physicians Formula Super CC Color-Correction + Care CC Cream
- Juice Beauty Stem Cellular CC Cream with Zinc SPF 30
- Erborian CC Cream High Def Skin Perfector
- Dermablend Continuous Correction Tone-Evening CC Cream SPF 50+
- purlisse Youth Glow VITAMIN C CC CREAM SPF 50
- Eucerin Sun Photoaging Control CC Face Cream SPF50
What does mature skin need?
As skin ages, it becomes drier. It has fewer lipids to guard against moisture loss and less collagen to keep it firm. (1)
Furthermore, it takes longer to heal and tends to develop discoloration. Age spots from sun exposure start to appear. But it’s never too late to start using sunscreen, or at least using a better sunscreen. The old minimum guidelines of SPF 15 just don’t cut it. SPF 30 is the new minimum because it filters out 97% of the harmful rays.
This is where CC cream picks up the slack. It doesn’t just camouflage like foundation. It also provides hydration and anti-aging ingredients to slow down the aging process and ward off further damage. Moreover, most CC creams offer sunscreen.
The “CC” stands for “color-correcting” as it neutralizes issues like redness from rosacea and purplish dark circles under the eyes. As a bonus, it prevents new discoloration from forming as it provides protection and plenty of antioxidants.
If you have mature skin and don’t want to wear a lot of makeup, CC cream is the answer. It offers maximum benefits in a single product.
Best CC Creams for Mature Skin 2021
IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream
Developed by plastic surgeons and dermatologists, this CC cream provides all the essentials for mature skin.
First, it’s like a full-coverage foundation. This high coverage is rare among tinted moisturizers. Not only does it neutralize discoloration like dark spots, but it also camouflages large pores. Although there is no shimmer, it has tiny light-reflecting particles which brighten the complexion. Moreover, it doesn’t slide off, crack, or crease in wrinkles.
Second, it has SPF 50 broad-spectrum sunscreen to defend against photo-aging. Since it’s a mineral-based sunscreen, it won’t sting your eyes.
Third, it’s packed with anti-aging ingredients and moisturizers. The litany includes hyaluronic acid, antioxidants, peptides, collagen, and niacin. Therefore, it doesn’t just make the skin look better, it helps renew it at a cellular level.
Lastly, the CC cream is available in a wide range of shades that accommodate different undertones.
Reviewers say it only takes a little bit to cover the entire face. That’s important as this is not cheap makeup. It’s highly sought after not only because of the benefits, but also because it has a safe rating from the EWG Skin Deep database.
- Available in shades that accommodate all skin tones
- Full coverage with light-reflecting particles that brighten the complexion (without shimmer)
- SPF 50 mineral sunscreen and a skin-safe formula
- Boosts the skin’s health with moisturizers and anti-aging ingredients
- Not cheap, but a little dab goes a long way
Physicians Formula Super CC Color-Correction + Care CC Cream
What’s the best drugstore CC cream? Our favorite is right here. There’s only one downside – it’s only available in 2 shades that won’t work well (unless used as a primer under a foundation) on dark skin.
This is a true color-correcting formula with yellow, green, and pink pigment to cancel out all sorts of issues from redness to liver spots and dark circles. It’s not a full-coverage product like the one above, but rather something to perfect the complexion.
Happily, it has no artificial fragrance or parabens. Even the sunscreen is mineral-based. At the end of the day, it’s straightforward to wash off.
- Contains color-correcting pigment to leave the complexion flawless
- Has a mineral-based sunscreen and moisturizing ingredients
- Free from artificial fragrances and parabens
- Available in only two shades
Juice Beauty Stem Cellular CC Cream with Zinc SPF 30
Fans of Juice Beauty already know that this brand uses organic botanicals and avoids harsh chemicals and cheap fillers. That’s one of the reasons its CC cream is so appealing.
It has antioxidant-rich apple juice that’s full of phytonutrients, phenols, and essential vitamins for healthy skin. Then, there’s aloe leaf juice for plenty of hydration and coconut oil to seal in the moisture and keep the skin soft. It’s the ideal formula for skin that’s starting to develop fine lines.
The cream comes in 7 shades for most skin tones from light to dark. Each one offers SPF 30 mineral sunscreen that’s reef-safe. What’s more, even though it uses non-nano mineral particles, it blends easily and looks natural.
Users say it has a satin finish and it smells lovely from all the plant-based ingredients. It also wears well under makeup if you desire full coverage.
- Features organic botanicals to nourish the skin
- Mineral-based SPF 30 sunscreen without nanoparticles
- Satin finish available in seven shades for most skin tones and undertones
Erborian CC Cream High Def Skin Perfector
Our biggest frustration with CC cream is that few brands offer a wide range of shades. To be fair, this K-beauty product comes from a country where there isn’t as diverse a selection of skin tones. It’s available in light and medium colors only. But if you fit in those categories, it’s definitely worth a try because it blends perfectly into the skin.
It’s designed to perform as a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. It provides SPF 25, enough protection for an ordinary day at work, school, or running errands. However, if you were to spend more time outside, we recommend a supplemental sunscreen.
The lightweight, sheer texture is plenty to hide undereye circles and discoloration but it won’t completely camouflage dark spots. The dewy finish resists transferring and lasts for hours.
It contains a healing ingredient called Centella asiatica. It reduces inflammation and improves elasticity.
Lastly, the formula contains no parabens, phthalates, or formaldehyde-releasing agents. Although it has a chemical sunscreen, there’s no oxybenzone, either.
- Sheer coverage enhances the skin’s appearance enough to disguise redness and undereye circles
- Moisturizing formula accelerates healing and promotes elasticity with Centella asiatica
- Offers SPF 25 broad-spectrum protection
- Free from parabens, phthalates, oxybenzone, and formaldehyde releasers
- Only two shades available for light to medium skin
Dermablend Continuous Correction Tone-Evening CC Cream SPF 50+
Is there such a thing as a CC cream foundation? There is now, thanks to Dermablend. This brand makes some of the best full-coverage makeup in the world and now they’ve branched out into a multi-purpose cosmetic. Unlike most CC creams, it offers up to 24-hour wear.
Not only does it provide the same coverage as a foundation, but it’s also a moisturizer with sunscreen. It has antioxidants, niacinamide, and caffeine to work behind the scenes and improve the skin’s health over time.
What’s more, it’s non-comedogenic with no artificial fragrances or parabens. It’s been dermatologist-tested for allergens, too. All skin types including sensitive, dry, oily, or combination skin can wear it.
If full coverage seems a little extreme, feel free to mix it with your moisturizer to make it more sheer. You don’t even need a sponge or brush to blend it.
Moreover, it’s available in a wide variety of shades for all skin tones. Once applied, it looks natural and doesn’t crease or crack.
The only downside we found was that it relies on chemical sunscreen filters instead of minerals. Unless you have a specific sensitivity to them, it should be fine.
- Full coverage foundation disguised as a color-correcting cream
- Wide selection of shades for all skin tones
- Gradually improves the skin’s health the more you wear it
- Allergy-tested, non-comedogenic, and free from parabens and artificial fragrances
- A very few people may find that the chemical sunscreen filter makes their eyes sting
purlisse Youth Glow VITAMIN C CC CREAM SPF 50
If you’re trying to hide lines, large pores, milia, or rosacea, this CC cream can do it all. It’s as easy to blend as a moisturizer, plus it offers sunscreen. If you have oily skin, you won’t even need a moisturizer underneath.
Notice how it’s called “Youth Glow”? That’s because it uses vitamin C to brighten the complexion and firm the texture. Then, there’s hyaluronic acid to plump the skin and keep it moisturized.
There’s no need for heavy makeup when something like this can boost your appearance and make you look younger. Of course, it has no perfumes or parabens in it.
- Perfects the complexion instantly and over time
- Uses hyaluronic acid and vitamin C to smooth fine lines and reduce discoloration
- Free of artificial fragrances and parabens
- Only a couple of shades available
Eucerin Sun Photoaging Control CC Face Cream SPF50
It’s sunscreen on steroids – this CC cream sinks right in and defends against photo-aging. But it doesn’t just guard against UV rays, but also HEVL (High Energy Visible Light). Yes, the blue light from your screen can also damage your skin.
Like all good CC creams, it gives the complexion a more uniform appearance as well. Plus, it triggers the skin’s DNA repair system to reduce inflammation.
Users say it wears well for up to 12 hours. It’s non-comedogenic and never greasy or sticky. There’s no artificial fragrance, either.
- Potent protection against UV radiation and High Energy Visible Light
- Stimulates the skin’s repair system
- Gives the complexion a uniform appearance and lasts up to 12 hours
- Non-comedogenic and free from artificial fragrances
- A bit pricey for a drugstore product and difficult to find in stores
- Only two shades available
CC cream is the smart option for mature skin. It’s not just makeup, it’s also sunscreen and moisturizer with anti-aging benefits, too. In one go, you can enhance your appearance and your skin’s health.
We hope our reviews helped you discover your new favorite cosmetics today. If so, we’d love to hear about your experience. Feel free to leave us a comment below.
1. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/skin-care-and-aging Skin Care and Aging, by the National Institute on Aging, accessed July 15, 2021