Tiger grass. Gotu kola. Centella asiatica. These are all other names for cica, a potent healing plant used since ancient times. Cica is good for your skin, especially if it’s sensitive, dry, or showing signs of aging. It boosts moisture levels and protects against environmental damage. It also reduces acne and scarring and treats conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
If you want to dramatically improve your complexion, check out our reviews of the best cica creams for healthy skin.
|The best cica creams||Why we love them|
|La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Balm B5||
|Bioderma Cicabio Cream||
|L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Cicacream||
|PURITO Centella Unscented Recovery Cream||
|PURITO Dermide Cica Barrier Sleeping Pack||
|Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF30||
|Meebak Cica Face Moisturizer||
- 1 Why you should try cica cream
- 2 Best Cica Creams in 2022
- 3 Conclusion
Why you should try cica cream
Pollution, UV radiation, and stress contribute to unhealthy skin. You can make all the right choices and still end up with premature aging, acne, and other issues. But cica cream is your secret weapon. Who knew that an ancient folk remedy would still be so relevant today?
Centella asiatica was used throughout Asia for centuries to treat a variety of conditions. Modern science investigated and found that this herb is truly effective for healing acne and wounds, burns, psoriasis, cellulite, stretch marks, and wrinkles (1).
Products with Centella asiatica are soothing and moisturizing to the skin. They are the healthy skin solution you’ve been searching for.
Best Cica Creams in 2022
Now, let’s get to the cica cream reviews so you can find what you need.
La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Balm B5
Cica creams didn’t start in South Korea, although that’s where you can find some of the best cica products now. No, it was this French product that started the trend.
Cicaplast fixes scrapes, cuts, burns, popped pimples, and skin irritated by acne treatments. It works so fast that you’re likely to see an improvement within hours.
It’s mild enough to use anywhere on the body including the face. It’s also suitable for adults, kids, and babies as young as one week old.
It features an ingredient called Madecassoside which comes from the Centella asiatica plant. It’s a concentrated extract that restores the skin to health. In this cream, it works alongside panthenol, also known as vitamin B5, shea butter, glycerin, copper, and zinc. You couldn’t ask for a better product to treat everything from diaper rash to chapped hands and so much more. We recommend that everyone keep a tube of this handy for life’s little problems.
What’s nice is that it’s not greasy although it’s very good at sealing in moisture. It has no artificial fragrance, parabens, or lanolin to protect sensitive skin.
- The classic cica cream that started the trend
- Features soothing Madecassoside from the Centella asiatica plant
- Fortified with panthenol, shea butter, and other healing ingredients
- Treats wounds, inflamed pimples, chapped skin, burns, and more
- Free from artificial fragrances, parabens, and lanolin
- Suitable for adults, children, and babies as young as one week old
- None (unless you wanted a higher concentration of cica)
Bioderma Cicabio Cream
Do you have rosacea? Bioderma’s cica cream clears up the redness without causing bumps. It fixes eczema by reducing inflammation and hydrating the skin. It forms a protective film to relieve the discomfort and seal in hydration.
Even so, this isn’t a pure cica cream. Madecassic acid is only one of the ingredients. The cream relies on other proven components like hyaluronic acid, which is an excellent moisturizer. It holds up to a thousand times its weight in water to quench dry skin.
It also has soothing copper sulfate, grapeseed, and zinc oxide. As you might imagine, it’s suitable for treating everything from inflamed pimples to paper cuts to diaper rash. Plus, it’s mild enough to use twice a day even on infants.
The formula is free of parabens, artificial fragrances, and other harsh ingredients.
- Healing cream with Centella asiatica derivatives
- Relieves itching and irritation almost instantly
- Treats rosacea, eczema, diaper rash, wounds, and more
- Free of artificial fragrances and parabens
- Potent enough for adults and mild enough for infants
- None (except cica isn’t the main ingredient)
L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Cicacream
Can you use cica cream with retinol? Yes, you can – and we wish we’d thought of it first. Retinol tends to be drying, yet it’s excellent for smoothing wrinkles and fading age spots. Meanwhile, cica is the perfect counterbalance as it doesn’t interfere with retinol but instead alleviates the side effects.
What could be better than a face cream with retinol and Centella asiatica? This one repairs the skin at a cellular level, making it youthful and strengthening it against damage.
Moreover, this perfectly balanced anti-aging treatment is designed for sensitive skin as it contains no artificial fragrances, dyes, parabens, or alcohol. It’s been tested by dermatologists for safety, too.
Give it at least two weeks to erase fine lines and four weeks to reduce wrinkles. During this time, please remember to wear sunscreen as retinol can make the skin more sensitive to sunburn.
Is there a downside? Well, once again, cica isn’t the main ingredient. But hang in there, next we’ll get to the most concentrated cica creams.
- Anti-aging treatment that smooths wrinkles and fades dark spots
- Cica counterbalances the drying effects of retinol
- Dermatologist-tested formula is free of artificial fragrances, colors, parabens, and alcohol
- Provides a noticeable improvement within 2 to 4 weeks
- None– it even compares favorably to the Elemis cream
PURITO Centella Unscented Recovery Cream
Which is the best cica cream from Korea? That’s a contentious topic as there are so many to choose from. We decided to start with the brand Purito as they offer a selection of different creams. Our top pick is the unscented version for very sensitive skin.
It’s ideal for combination and oily skin as it’s lightweight and doesn’t require a thick application. Still, it forms a barrier to lock in moisture without clogging pores. Over time, it fades acne scars and strengthens the skin to prevent irritation and redness.
The base ingredient is Centella asiatica water, followed by skin-friendly macadamia seed oil, squalane, and soothing niacinamide. In fact, the formula is rich in soothing ceramides, betaine, argan oil, and shea butter. There are other cica extracts as well. It’s everything you could ask for to heal the skin and keep it hydrated.
Furthermore, it’s formulated with a pH of 6.8, which is nearly neutral to prevent upset. It’s also free of fragrances and essential oils. Did we mention that it’s cruelty-free and vegan, too?
- Formulated for combination and oily skin, it heals acne-prone complexions
- Lightweight and pH-balanced, it seals in moisture without clogging pores
- Packed with healing and soothing ingredients like Centella asiatica water, ceramides, and betaine
- Vegan, cruelty-free, and free of artificial fragrances and essential oils
PURITO Dermide Cica Barrier Sleeping Pack
Wouldn’t it be nice to wake up with plump skin that isn’t greasy?
If you want something that’s moisturizing but not pore-clogging, try this sleeping cream. But don’t be fooled by the name, It can also be used during the daytime. It’s free of artificial fragrances and essential oils to prevent allergic reactions, and developed for acne-prone skin.
Users say it’s scent-free and quick-absorbing. The texture is rich without feeling heavy or oily. What’s more, it’s not just kind to sensitive skin, but also made with thoughtfulness. Like other products from this brand, it’s vegan and never tested on animals.
Some of the key ingredients include Centella asiatica extract, jojoba seed oil, madecassoside, panthenol, green tea, and ceramides. Those are why it forms a healthy barrier to defend the skin from moisture loss and environmental stress.
- Perfect for soothing acne-prone complexions
- Day or night cream for combination skin
- Quick-absorbing and soothing without feeling greasy
- Fixes and defends against environmental damage and moisture loss
- Free of artificial fragrances, essential oils, and animal ingredients
Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF30
If you have rosacea and can’t find a solution, you’ve got to try this CC cream. It’s a moisturizer with sunscreen that controls redness and doubles as a primer for underneath makeup.
Don’t worry if it doesn’t completely eliminate the redness upon first use. Yes, it goes on green and turns into a light tan color. This helps camouflage the condition. But keep applying it daily and you’ll see that it does more than disguise the problem. It clears up the discoloration as well as the related acne and keeps it at bay.
Moreover, it’s perfect for dealing with maskne. Just add a little powder and ta-da! No need for a heavy foundation.
The formula is designed for most skin types from normal to oily. We checked the label and saw that the sunscreen is mineral-based, which is great news for sensitive complexions. Furthermore, there are no artificial fragrances, dyes, drying alcohols, parabens, formaldehyde releasers, mineral oil, and so on.
Instead, you’ll see Centella asiatica leaf water as the base ingredient. It’s accompanied by strawberry leaf, lavender, arnica, and other cica-related extracts.
- Instant color correction that reduces redness
- Greenish formula turns light beige to cancel out discoloration
- Potent moisturizer plus mineral sunscreen
- Packed with healing Centella asiatica extracts and other botanicals to improve the skin’s health
- Free of artificial fragrances, colors, drying alcohol, parabens, and formaldehyde releasers
- We weren’t sure how the CC cream looks on dark skin tones
Meebak Cica Face Moisturizer
Here’s K-beauty’s answer to L’Oreal’s Revitalift Cicacream. It contains both Centella asiatica and retinol, too.
But that’s not all. It has skin-plumping hyaluronic acid, peptides, and Dioscorea japonica root. You don’t have to be a scientist to know that this is a very soothing and moisturizing face cream.
It’s mild enough for sensitive, damaged skin, and light enough for oily skin. Over time, it corrects discoloration and fine lines while protecting against premature aging. Give it a try, and if you’re not pleased with the results, the company offers a 100% money-back guarantee.
Users say it has a lightweight consistency and mild fragrance. There’s no stickiness, either. They’ve noticed both their skin tone and texture improving over time.
- Lightweight retinol cream that’s mild enough for sensitive, damaged skin
- Gradually improves skin tone and texture
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
- The base ingredient isn’t cica, but it’s midway down the label
Cica is the solution for many kinds of skin issues including acne, eczema, psoriasis, and dryness. It calms the skin and helps it heal. Give cica cream a try and enjoy healthier skin and happier complexion.
We hope our reviews helped you discover your new favorite skin care products today. We’d love to hear about your experience with them. Please feel free to leave us a comment below.
1. https://www.termedia.pl/Review-paper-Centella-asiatica-in-cosmetology,7,20289,0,1.html Bylka, W., Znajdek-Awiżeń, P., Studzińska-Sroka, E., & Brzezińska, M. (2013). Review paperCentella asiatica in cosmetology. Advances in Dermatology and Allergology/Postępy Dermatologii i Alergologii, 30(1), 46-49. https://doi.org/10.5114/pdia.2013.33378, accessed August 6, 2021