Guys who wouldn’t think twice about styling with mousse or gel shy away from hairspray. Why? It’s not the eighties anymore and hairspray does not equal big hair or a stiff hairstyle.
In fact, the best hairspray for men comes in all sorts of varieties. There are men’s matte hairsprays and sprays that leave the hair shiny. There are sea salt sprays for adding texture and a dry look hairspray, too.
But what’s the best men’s hairspray? Well, it depends on what you want to do with your hair. The best hairspray for thinning hair, for example, will create lift and volume. Some feature hair-like fibers to fill in thin spots.
Then, the hairspray that barbers use could be something simple that looks natural and offers medium hold. There are even hairsprays that allow you to run your fingers through your hair without messing it up. That’s because hairspray can work both for styling or fixing styles.
Here’s a brief overview of the best hairsprays for men. You can learn more detail about each hair styling product in the reviews below.
|The best men’s hairspray||Why we love it|
|Vitalis Hairspray Pump Maximum Hold||
|Sebastian Shaper 55% Hairspray||
|L'Oreal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Lock It Bold Control Hairspray||
|Paul Mitchell Worked Up Hairspray, Flexible Hold||
|Consort For Men Hair Spray, Regular Hold||
|Blind Barber 40 Proof Sea Salt Spray||
|John Frieda Day 2 Revival Curl Reset Spray||
|No nothing Very Sensitive Super Strong Hairspray||
|Salon Grafix Hairspray Freezing Mega Hold||
How do you choose the best hairspray? The simplest way is to decide if you want firm, medium, or light hold.
Next, will you be using hairspray for styling, finishing, or both?
And finally, how important is the fragrance or lack thereof?
With those questions in mind, here are reviews of the best hairsprays for guys.
- 1 Best Hairspray for Men in 2023
- 1.1 Vitalis Hairspray Pump Maximum Hold
- 1.2 Sebastian Shaper 55% Hairspray
- 1.3 L’Oreal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Lock It Bold Control Hairspray
- 1.4 Paul Mitchell Worked Up Hairspray, Flexible Hold
- 1.5 Consort For Men Hair Spray, Regular Hold
- 1.6 Blind Barber 40 Proof Sea Salt Spray
- 1.7 John Frieda Day 2 Revival Curl Reset Spray
- 1.8 No nothing Very Sensitive Super Strong Hairspray
- 1.9 Salon Grafix Hairspray Freezing Mega Hold
- 1.10 BOLDIFY Hair Fibers for Thinning Hair
- 2 Conclusion
Best Hairspray for Men in 2023
Vitalis Hairspray Pump Maximum Hold
Although modern hairsprays no longer contain CFCs, some guys just prefer a pump instead of aerosol. Of course, the downside with any hairspray is that the nozzle may clog. Hold it under warm running water and it should work fine once more.
The men’s hairspray from Vitalis is inexpensive, effective, and works exactly as it should. Some fellows have been buying this same product for decades.
It dries quickly without leaving the hair sticky or stiff. You can even comb it later without pulling out strands.
It doesn’t take much to cover the whole head, especially since they upgraded the pump to a better design. Plus, it has a masculine fragrance that’s mostly noticeable as it dries.
- Strong hold without feeling sticky or stiff
- The hair can be combed again later
- Subtle masculine fragrance
- Upgraded pump top for perfect coverage
- Trusted by men for decades
- If the nozzle spits or clogs, it needs to be cleaned with warm water
Sebastian Shaper 55% Hairspray
This brand offers several unisex hairsprays designed for specific functions. The one we selected for the reviews dries in an instant to a satin finish with flexible hold. Yes, it can be brushed again later because it doesn’t make the hair stiff.
It’s perfect for fine to medium hair since it adds a bit of volume. For best results, apply it to damp hair. Then let it air dry or use a blow dryer for more lift. After styling, spray it again for a firmer hold that still looks natural and won’t feel sticky.
Moreover, the can was engineered to spray upside down. Not surprising as this is a product utilized by Hollywood stylists.
Guys say it has a light fragrance that doesn’t linger.
- Unisex hairspray that’s popular with Hollywood stylists
- Ideal for fine to medium hair because it adds volume
- Can be used for styling damp hair and also for fixing
- Natural appearance, never sticky or stiff
- Can sprays upside down
- Subtle fragrance, which isn’t necessarily a con as it doesn’t linger
L’Oreal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Lock It Bold Control Hairspray
We think this is the best drugstore hairspray for men if you need a strong hold. It withstands high humidity and windy conditions, keeping hair in place for up to forty-eight hours. Try it on your updo.
It comes out in a fine mist that you can aim at the roots to texturize the hair. It works well on all types of hair whether straight or curly. Those with fine hair are especially pleased with it because it’s not crunchy and it doesn’t flake.
Users say it has excellent hold with a surprisingly natural feel. The only downside is the scent which some people don’t enjoy.
- Inexpensive firm hold that resists humidity and adverse conditions for up to forty-eight hours
- Helps with styling or fixing without feeling crunchy
- Excellent for adding volume to fine hair
- Looks natural and doesn’t flake
- Not everyone enjoys the light fragrance
Paul Mitchell Worked Up Hairspray, Flexible Hold
We wouldn’t be surprised if your barber used Paul Mitchell products. We had a hard time deciding between this hairspray and Super Clean Spray with the Awapuhi fragrance. Both have the same amount of hold.
In either case, both work on all hair types. They’re handy for styling and fixing with medium hold. What does that mean? It allows you to brush, comb, or run your fingers through your hair. The hair moves naturally but still retains its style.
This spray also adds significant shine and prevents static electricity. The soft fragrance is barely noticeable after it dries.
- Medium hold and extra shine that prevents static
- Salon product used for styling and fixing
- Hair moves naturally and maintains its style
- Subtle fragrance is a clean blend of citrus and lily
Consort For Men Hair Spray, Regular Hold
Here’s a no-nonsense men’s hairspray with a manly fragrance. It provides hold for up to twelve hours but doesn’t weigh down the hair.
Spray it on and you can expect the hair to stay in place yet still look natural. It’s not a firm hold, but rather enough to prevent frizz and flyaways without seeming stiff.
It has a matte finish and doesn’t flake, so no one needs to know you’re even using hairspray at all.
- Inexpensive, popular hairspray for guys
- Medium hold without stiffness or extra shine
- Manages frizz and flyaways while looking natural
- Some men may find the masculine fragrance to be old school
Blind Barber 40 Proof Sea Salt Spray
It’s not hairspray, but it holds better than competing brands like Sun Bum. Not to mention it smells like vanilla and Tonka beans and it’s free of harsh ingredients.
Why use sea salt spray instead of hairspray? For one, it’s water-based and easy to rinse out of the hair. It gives the hair extra volume and texture while never limiting movement or feeling stiff or sticky. And you’ll never need to gum up your hands with clay or pomade.
The matte finish looks just like normal hair. Feel free to set it with regular hairspray if you like.
- Provides extra volume and texture without making a mess or needing a blow dryer
- Rinses clean as it’s water-based and free of harsh ingredients
- Attractive fragrance
- Not as firm of a hold as regular hairspray
John Frieda Day 2 Revival Curl Reset Spray
If you’re a guy with curly hair, and you wake up late, what you do about bed hair? We recommend this water-based spray that brings back the curls without the need for washing. It features avocado dry oil and açai to nourish each strand.
Moreover, it fixes frizz as it resists high humidity for up to twenty-four hours. It improves the shine and adds a little bit of hold, too.
Also important, the clean fragrance is subtle and unisex.
- Restores curls, bringing back shine and bounce without a wash
- Eliminates frizz for up to twenty-four hours
- Moisturizes dry hair
- Offers light hold
- Soft unisex fragrance
No nothing Very Sensitive Super Strong Hairspray
Even if you don’t have allergies or asthma, many men prefer unscented hairspray. This one is fragrance-free, with absolutely no perfume, parabens, or other harsh ingredients. It’s from a Finnish company and holds the seal of approval from the Finnish Allergy & Asthma Association. Furthermore, it’s cruelty-free.
But how is it as a hairspray? From what we’ve seen, it’s useful for both styling and finishing. Apply it to damp hair before blow-drying then fix the style when it’s dry.
We love that it offers protection against UV rays. That’s great news if you have colored hair. Meanwhile, it limits frizziness caused by high humidity.
- Absolutely no fragrance or toxic ingredients
- Useful for styling and fixing
- Provides UV protection and guards against frizz
- Very slight odor that disappears in seconds
Salon Grafix Hairspray Freezing Mega Hold
Whether you have a cyberpunk mohawk or just struggle to manage flyaway hair, this spray will solve the problem. It offers maximum hold that withstands windy days. Use it to add volume or do something radical with your hair.
Although not specifically formulated for men, it has a clean fragrance that isn’t overwhelming.
- Perfect for maintaining radical hairstyles and taming flyaways
- Withstands windy days
- Has a fragrance, but it’s unisex
BOLDIFY Hair Fibers for Thinning Hair
Men are prone to pattern baldness, but there’s no need to give into bald spots if you’re not ready. This product contains natural-looking fibers that disguise the thin spots. It blends seamlessly with your real hair and stays put without looking fake.
Apply it as the last step after you’ve washed, dried, and styled. It will stand up to sweat, wind, and rain to keep you confident throughout the day. Set the fibers with regular hairspray for extra holding power.
Does it sound too good to be true? Well, there’s nothing like trying it yourself. It comes with a Color Match Guarantee – if you’re not satisfied, the customer care team will send a new can in a different color at no cost.
Competition is intense in the world of hair styling products. We hope our reviews narrow down the list and helped you find the best hairspray for your needs today.
In conclusion, the best hair spray for men is the one that will maintain your style just the way you like it.