Are you curious if a diffuser is as good as a humidifier? You don’t have to choose between them. The best humidifiers and diffusers are appliances that offer both functions. You can make your home or office more comfortable by humidifying the air and enjoying aromatherapy at the same time.
- 1 Diffuser vs Humidifier
- 2 Features to consider when shopping for a humidifier diffuser
- 3 Best Humidifiers and Diffusers in 2021
- 3.1 Pure Guardian H4810AR Ultrasonic Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier
- 3.2 LEVOIT Humidifier for Bedroom
- 3.3 Amazon Basics Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier with Essential Oil Diffuser
- 3.4 Everlasting Comfort Cool Mist Humidifier
- 3.5 Vicks Starry Night Cool Moisture Humidifier
- 3.6 InnoGear Essential Oil Diffuser
- 4 Conclusion
Diffuser vs Humidifier
What are the differences between a diffuser and a humidifier? If you’re talking about nebulizing diffusers, there’s a big difference because nebulizing diffusers are waterless and humidifiers are not. But if you’re comparing an ultrasonic diffuser to a humidifier, there’s little to no difference at all. It all comes down to if the humidifier can diffuse essential oils or not.
Not all humidifiers accept essential oils in the water tank, but some have an essential oils tray or use saturated pads to diffuse the aroma.
On the contrary, an ultrasonic diffuser is designed to work with a few drops of oil in the water tank. (If you try this trick with an ordinary humidifier, you’ll gum up the works).
There are other features to consider if you’re having a hard time deciding between a humidifier and a diffuser, like the ability to control the amount of mist, the humidity level, and if there’s a timer or not.
Features to consider when shopping for a humidifier diffuser
If you choose a humidifier that’s also a diffuser, you’ll get the best of both worlds. Check out the models below and you’ll see features like:
- Control over the intensity of the mist
- Timer to control how long they run or when they start
- Automatic shutdown when the water runs low
- Easy-to-clean tank (that’s also straightforward to refill)
- Hot or cold mist
- Aromatherapy (when essential oils are added)
Not every humidifier and diffuser has every feature. Check the detailed reviews below to learn more.
|The best humidifiers and diffusers||Why we love them|
|Pure Guardian H4810AR Ultrasonic Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier||
|LEVOIT Humidifier for Bedroom||
|Amazon Basics Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier with Essential Oil Diffuser||
|Everlasting Comfort Cool Mist Humidifier||
|Vicks Starry Night Cool Moisture Humidifier||
|InnoGear Essential Oil Diffuser||
Best Humidifiers and Diffusers in 2021
Pure Guardian H4810AR Ultrasonic Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier
Here’s the best humidifier for bedrooms. It’s capable of running up to 120 hours because it has a two-gallon tank. The operating time depends on how much mist it puts out, which you can control by pushing a button on the front panel. There are options for low, medium, and high intensity. Then, turn the nozzle to aim the mist.
The other controls include the timer (4, 8, or 12 hours), the nightlight, and the option to switch between warm or cool mist. Plus, there’s an indicator light for when the water gets low.
Although it has a large tank, the PureGuardian H4810AR is best suited for 600-square-foot rooms. And the good news is that the tank is impregnated with Silver Clean Protection to keep slime from growing inside it. You won’t have to refill or clean it daily. There’s no filter to worry about, either.
Put a few drops of your favorite essential oil in the aromatherapy tray and you’re ready to enjoy a good night’s sleep.
- Aromatherapy tray turns the humidifier into a diffuser
- 2-gallon tank provides up to 120 hours of runtime
- Timer settings for 4, 8, and 12 hours
- 3 levels of mist intensity
- Cool or warm mist
- Nightlight can be on or off for sleeping
- Directional nozzle to aim the vapor
- Silver Clean Technology prevents mold and mildew in the tank
- The perfect size for the bedroom
- Like any humidifier that uses tap water without a filter, you’re likely to see it leaves a fine white dust on nearby surfaces
LEVOIT Humidifier for Bedroom
Here’s another bedroom humidifier that offers either warm or cool mist. Although you can’t drop essential oils into the water tank, you can use the included aroma pads to scent the air. The box comes with three so that you’re not stuck with only one fragrance.
When would you choose warm mist instead of cool mist? The warm mist feels nice in the wintertime, and it’s excellent for relieving congestion.
The maximum intensity of this humidifier is 500mL per hour, making it suitable for large rooms up to 753 ft.². It has a 6-liter tank (1.59 gallons) that runs up to 60 hours on the lowest setting. That’s nearly a full week of running it each night without a refill. Should you forget to add water, no worries, the humidifier will turn itself off automatically. It’s ETL-Listed and FCC-Certified for safety.
Moreover, instead of guessing how high to set the intensity, you can adjust the mist automatically by selecting the amount of humidity you want. You can manage the humidity setting on the front panel or with the included remote control.
That’s right, this device has a remote that allows you to do everything from a distance, including turning the lights off the panel to let you sleep in blessed darkness. The settings include the humidity level, the mist level, the timer, whether the mist is warm or cool, the display, and the on/off button.
Lastly, the package includes a cleaning brush, too. The manufacturer recommends cleaning the tank once a week. If you use distilled water, it won’t leave white dust on the furniture. But if you use tap water or filter water, the humidifier includes a descaling pad to remove minerals from the water, and that helps, too.
- Comes with 3 aromatherapy pads to switch between scents
- 59-gallon tank runs up to 60 hours
- Has a remote control with full functionality
- Settings include adjustable humidity, mist intensity, warm or cool mist selector, and the ability to turn the display off for sleeping
- Automatic shutdown when water gets low
- ETL-Listed and FCC-Certified
- At the time of writing, it was difficult to find replacement pads
Amazon Basics Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier with Essential Oil Diffuser
If you’re watching your budget, here’s the best humidifier diffuser combo for the money. It offers only cool mist, but it has a blue nightlight and aroma diffuser. Specifically, it’s a tray for drops of essential oils.
All the controls are manual so there’s no fancy remote control or digital display. On the bright side, that saves money and means there’s less to break. A button turns on the nightlight and the knob dials up the vapor.
The tank holds 1.5 liters (1.59 quarts) which allows it to run up to 24 hours or more. Since there are only two timer modes for 12 or 24 hours, it’s a simple device that can just keep working until the water runs out and it shuts down automatically. Just rotate the nozzle to aim the mist and forget about it.
Reviewers say the tank is straightforward to clean as it’s possible to fit a hand inside and the package includes a cleaning brush. The humidifier makes practically no noise whatsoever.
- Budget-friendly humidifier with an aromatherapy tray for essential oils
- 5-liter tank runs for 24 hours or more
- 2 timer modes and adjustable intensity
- Blue nightlight (that can be turned off)
- Automatic shutdown
- Directional nozzle
- Comes with a cleaning brush
- The shortest timer mode is 12 hours
Everlasting Comfort Cool Mist Humidifier
This ultrasonic humidifier claims to be whisper-quiet. At 30 dB, that’s literally true. It’s probably quieter than your local library. Compare it to a running refrigerator at 50 dB.
Next, it’s best suited for rooms up to 500 ft.². Since it has a 1.6-gallon tank, it can run up to 50 hours on the lowest intensity setting. Then, when the water runs out, the humidifier shuts down for safety. In fact, if you tip it over, it also shuts down automatically because it’s ETL-Listed, after all.
If you’d like to enjoy aromatherapy, put a few drops of essential oil into the tray. The fragrance will circulate with the mist.
What’s more, should there ever be a problem, it’s covered by a 2-year replacement warranty.
The only criticism we had is the lack of a carrying handle to make refilling it easier.
- Runs up to 50 hours (1.6-gallon tank)
- Very quiet at only 30 dB
- Adjustable intensity suitable for rooms up to 500 ft.²
- Essential oils tray for aromatherapy
- Covered by a 2-year replacement warranty
- A little complicated to refill as there is no carrying handle and the tank gets a bit heavy when full
Vicks Starry Night Cool Moisture Humidifier
If you’re looking for a good humidifier diffuser for the kids, here’s one with a nightlight that projects stars onto the ceiling.
Furthermore, it has a built-in scent pad heater that adds your chosen fragrance to the air. For example, the brand offers menthol pads to relieve congestion and lavender for a better night’s rest.
There are two dials on the front, one for power and one for vapor intensity. Choose from maximum or sleep mode for ultra-quiet performance. On the low setting, the one-gallon tank operates up to 24 hours before needing a refill.
We also like that Vicks includes a wicking filter in the tank to keep mold and bacteria from growing inside.
- Runs up to 24 hours on the 1-gallon tank
- Scent pad heater for aromatherapy
- Maximum or sleep mode settings
- Nightlight projects stars on the ceiling
- Wicking filter prevents bacteria and mold in the tank
- The consumer is locked into Vicks brand scented pads as there’s no essential oils tray
InnoGear Essential Oil Diffuser
An ultrasonic diffuser is also a humidifier by nature. This one is extremely popular and very inexpensive. If you’ve been on the fence about whether to get a humidifier diffuser or not, give this one a try. It’s ideal for small spaces like an office or bedroom.
It’s compact, standing only 5.5-inches tall, but it has a cheerful little mood light. Set it to rotate hypnotically between eight colors, or choose a single color to enjoy. (You can also turn it off).
The little water tank keeps it running for up to 8 hours if you select the intermittent mist mode. It shoots out a fine cloud of vapor every 30 seconds. Otherwise, the continuous mist mode works up to 4 hours. Add a few drops of essential oil to the water as there’s no need to put it in a special tray or on a pad.
By the way, the tank is made of PP, a non-toxic plastic. Should it run out of water, the diffuser shuts down by itself.
- Compact ultrasonic diffuser runs up to 8 hours
- Inexpensive and ideal for small spaces
- 2 mist modes and a color-changing mood light (that can be turned off)
- Non-toxic plastic tank and automatic shutdown if the water runs out
The best humidifiers and diffusers are an all-in-one solution. They allow you to enjoy aromatherapy at the same time you make the room’s air more moist and comfortable.
We hope our reviews helped you find the best diffuser humidifier for your needs today. Feel free to leave us a comment telling us about your experience with it.