Babies get them, and so do adults. Those little white bumps are milia, hardened lumps of dead skin trapped under the surface. They don’t hurt, but they also don’t go away easily. It can take months for milia to disappear on their own. Squeezing them isn’t the answer. Instead, try the best drugstore products for milia to remove them.
What is the best product to remove milia? We recommend exfoliating cleansers, serums, and creams. They will get rid of milia faster and more safely than trying to pick them. Also, if you’re really in a hurry, a dermatologist can extract them.
- 1 What causes milia
- 2 What gets rid of milia
- 3 Are there any side effects to treating milia with drugstore products?
- 4 Best Drugstore Products for Milia in 2021
- 4.1 L’Oreal Paris Skincare Revitalift Bright Reveal Facial Cleanser with Glycolic Acid
- 4.2 L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Bright Reveal Anti-Aging Peel Pads
- 4.3 CeraVe SA Cleanser
- 4.4 Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Facial Cleansing Pads with Salicylic Acid
- 4.5 CeraVe Anti-Aging Face Serum with Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, and Ceramides
- 4.6 CeraVe Anti-Aging Retinol Serum
- 4.7 Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Retinol Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream
- 4.8 RoC Retinol Value Set Duo, Deep Wrinkle Night Face Cream & Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
- 5 Conclusion
What causes milia
Some people are just genetically more likely to develop milia. It doesn’t help if you have rosacea, eczema, dandruff, autoimmune conditions, or have to use steroids for a long time. Excess sun exposure can contribute, and so can cosmetics that clog pores (1).
What gets rid of milia
The best drugstore exfoliators with salicylic acid, alpha-hydroxy acid, or retinol are perfect for treating milia. All three sweep away dead skin cells without the need for scrubbing. Use them regularly to keep your skin clear and smooth. (They will help combat acne and signs of aging, too).
You can find these exfoliating ingredients in cleansers, serums, cleansing pads, and moisturizers. Check out the top drugstore products for removing milia below:
|The best drugstore products for milia||Why we love them|
|L'Oreal Paris Skincare Revitalift Bright Reveal Facial Cleanser with Glycolic Acid||
|L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Bright Reveal Anti-Aging Peel Pads||
|CeraVe SA Cleanser||
|Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Facial Cleansing Pads with Salicylic Acid||
|CeraVe Anti Aging Face Serum with Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, and Ceramides||
|CeraVe Anti-Aging Retinol Serum||
|Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Retinol Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream||
|RoC Retinol Value Set Duo, Deep Wrinkle Night Face Cream & Retinol Correxion Eye Cream||
Are there any side effects to treating milia with drugstore products?
Obviously, it’s not good to treat a baby’s skin with exfoliants, and some people have skin that’s too sensitive to handle aggressive products. However, the most common reaction is that chemical exfoliators make the skin sensitive to sunburn. Be sure to wear sunscreen when you spend time outdoors.
Best Drugstore Products for Milia in 2021
L’Oreal Paris Skincare Revitalift Bright Reveal Facial Cleanser with Glycolic Acid
Let’s begin with one of the best cleansers for milia. It’s a glycolic cleanser that’s part of L’Oreal’s Revitalift series of anti-aging products.
Glycolic acid comes from sugarcane. It dissolves the bonds between dead cells for gentle exfoliation without dehydrating or irritating the skin. With that said, if you’ve never used an alpha hydroxy acid like this before, start slow. Don’t wash with it more than once a day until you see how your skin reacts. If it tolerates it, washing with the cleanser morning and night will reduce milia faster.
Also, remember the sunscreen and avoid using products with alpha-hydroxy acids at the same time you use ones with retinol because it may cause irritation.
How soon can you expect to see results? Reviewers say that it takes at least a couple of weeks or longer of twice-daily cleanses to clear up milia, but there are other benefits. The anti-aging formula brightens the complexion, so you’re likely to enjoy more radiant skin within a few days.
The formula is dermatologist-tested and paraben-free. If you have dry skin, be sure to follow up with a rich moisturizer.
- Brightens the complexion, fades discoloration, and smooths lines with exfoliating AHA
- Gradually reduces milia
- Paraben-free and dermatologist-tested
- When using alpha hydroxy acid, it’s essential to apply sunscreen before time outdoors
- May dehydrate dry skin if used twice daily
L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Bright Reveal Anti-Aging Peel Pads
These peel pads are saturated with vitamin C and a glycolic acid solution. Feel free to use them alongside the cleanser reviewed above and the rest of the Revitalift products. Yes, they are designed for mature skin, but anyone with milia can benefit from using them.
Since they are more potent than the cleanser, it’s possible to see a significant improvement after using them for only a week. But please, remember the sunscreen!
Reviewers suggest cutting the pads in half if you’re only treating a small area instead of the whole face. Not only do they get rid of milia, but they also fade brown spots and reduce oiliness in the T-zone. Happily, the formula is paraben-free.
- Potent peel pads produce results in as little as a week
- Saturated with vitamin C and glycolic acid solution
- Treat dark spots, wrinkles, and milia
- Will tingle on sensitive skin
CeraVe SA Cleanser
Salicylic acid is a recognized treatment for acne and keratosis pilaris (KP), plus it also clears up milia. It’s a beta-hydroxy acid that exfoliates dead skin and also dissolves sebum to unclog pores.
CeraVe’s salicylic acid cleanser is formulated to be effective and as gentle as possible. It doesn’t typically dehydrate normal or oily skin if used daily. Otherwise, it’s okay to use on dry and sensitive skin up to twice a week.
There are significant benefits to this cleanser. Not only does it get rid of milia, but it also prevents pimples and ingrown hairs. Like all products from this brand, it has ceramides to reinforce the skin’s natural barrier against moisture loss and infection. Moreover, it calms the skin and reduces redness with niacinamide.
Lastly, it’s fragrance-free like everything else from this dermatologist-recommended brand.
- Fragrance-free cleanser from a dermatologist-recommended brand
- Treats milia, blackheads, KP, and acne
- Moisturizing formula is mild enough to use daily on normal and oily skin, or twice weekly on sensitive skin
- Has ceramides and niacinamide to prevent moisture loss and reduce redness
- None, although it’s smart to use sunscreen because salicylic acid can sensitize the skin to sunburn
Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Facial Cleansing Pads with Salicylic Acid
Aveeno’s exfoliating pads have two textures: one side is bumpy and the other smooth. That’s because it’s a cleanser that can take the place of your regular face wash at night. The formula foams away makeup and oil while gently exfoliating the skin and unclogging pores. Use the textured side first then finish with the smooth side.
What’s nice is that this product is soap and alcohol-free with no added oils. It’s specifically made for sensitive complexions as well as other skin types. It’s also non-drying with glycerin and soy protein to keep your face moisturized. Intriguingly, soy is an ancient remedy for discolored skin.
Users with dark skin don’t need to worry because there are no bleaching ingredients. All the pads do (besides cleansing) is exfoliate and brighten the skin, which means they can clear up milia, pimples, and acne scars, too.
- Dual-sided cleansing pads remove makeup and oil
- Exfoliating formula treats milia and acne while brightening the complexion
- Non-drying, with no soap, alcohol, or oils
- As always, don’t forget the sunscreen
CeraVe Anti-Aging Face Serum with Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, and Ceramides
Here’s a serum with two of the best alpha-hydroxy acids for exfoliating the skin. Not only will it get rid of milia, but it also smooths lines around the eyes, tightens pores, and fades dark spots. Apply it after cleansing and before moisturizing at bedtime.
The serum is fragrance-free with no parabens or harsh ingredients. Instead, it’s fortified with hyaluronic acid and ceramides to plump the skin and prevent dryness. In fact, it features the patented MVE Technology that keeps the skin hydrated for twenty-four hours after it’s applied.
Let’s imagine that you’re not sure where to start getting rid of milia. Should you try a cleanser, a moisturizer, or serum? If you can only pick one, we recommend a serum like this one. Because of its lightweight texture and small molecular size, it penetrates more easily than face cream. Plus, it continues working for longer than a cleanser.
- Effective exfoliation with alpha-hydroxy acids
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free, and moisturizing
- Continues to hydrate the skin for twenty-four hours after application
- Remember to wear sunscreen the next day even though you’re applying the serum at night
CeraVe Anti-Aging Retinol Serum
They say that retinol is the best anti-aging ingredient you can get over-the-counter. It exfoliates dead cells and stimulates collagen production at the same time, renewing the complexion. Retinol is excellent for clearing up milia, smoothing wrinkles, and erasing acne scars and age spots.
With that said, you should know that retinol may sting your skin. It typically takes time to build up to using it daily because it can be quite drying. On the bright side, this gentle retinol serum might be perfect for you all the same.
CeraVe has included ceramides, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid to counterbalance the negative effects of retinol. Furthermore, the retinol is encapsulated for improved delivery and less sensitivity.
It’s also interesting that this is a paraben-free formula. There’s no artificial fragrance, either. The only thing you need to worry about is remembering the sunscreen.
- Paraben-free and fragrance-free formula clears up milia and smooths wrinkles
- Also fades acne scars and dark spots
- Infused with niacinamide, ceramides, and hyaluronic acid to hydrate and soothe the skin
- May sting sensitive skin
Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Retinol Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream
Oftentimes, adults get milia near their eyes. Why not take care of two problems with one product? This eye cream resurfaces the skin to erase crow’s feet and dark circles while also reducing milia.
We were thrilled to see that this is also a paraben-free product. Plus, it’s fortified with hyaluronic acid and something called pentaerythrityl tetraethylhexanoate which instantly makes skin look dewy and smooth. For best results, use the eye cream nightly.
- Reduces milia, crow’s feet, and dark circles
- Contains no parabens or mineral oil
- Enhanced with hyaluronic acid and skin-smoothing ingredients
- Retinol may sting sensitive skin
RoC Retinol Value Set Duo, Deep Wrinkle Night Face Cream & Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
RoC is a household name for anyone who wants to look younger. This brand’s retinol products are affordable and perform admirably. The only downside is that they contain parabens.
This set contains both eye cream and face cream. The creams are so potent that they shrink wrinkles by half after only twelve weeks. In time, they can take a decade off your face. Yes, it takes longer than a trip to the dermatologist, but it’s a whole lot easier on the wallet. And just imagine what they can do for milia.
Moreover, both products are formulated for sensitive skin with this few irritants as possible. Nevertheless, have a look at the RoC retinol capsules for a minimalistic formula without parabens.
- Proven to reduce wrinkles by half in twelve weeks, also effective against milia
- Also available in capsule form
- Contain parabens
The best drugstore products for milia exfoliate the dead skin that causes the problem in the first place. We hope our reviews helped you find the best skincare products for your needs today. Feel free to tell us about your experience with them in the comments below.
1. https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/what-to-know-about-milia What to Know About Milia by WebMD staff, accessed October 11, 2021