Who should use cleansing milk? Although it’s suitable for all skin types, those with dry and sensitive skin can benefit the most from it. Milk cleanser is good for removing light makeup and impurities without stripping the skin.
The best cleansing milk is the first step in keeping skin moisturized, calm, and comfortable. And no, it’s not actually made of milk although it resembles it. In most cases, you don’t need to wet your face first to use it. Just massage it into the skin for about thirty seconds then rinse with lukewarm water.
If you’d like to give no cleanser a try, here are our top picks. The in-depth cleansing milk reviews are below.
|The best cleansing milks||Why we love them|
|Eau Thermale Avene Gentle Milk Moisturizing No Rinse Cleansing Lotion for Sensitive Skin|
|Purlisse Blue Lotus 4-in-1 Cleansing Milk|
|Juice Beauty Cleansing Milk|
|JOWAÉ Soothing Cleansing Milk|
|Avalon Organics Cleansing Milk, Intense Defense with Vitamin C|
|Andalou Naturals Probiotic Cleansing Milk|
|Garnier SkinActive Milk Face Wash with Rose Water|
|Mario Badescu Cleansing Milk with Carnation Rice Oil|
Table of Contents
- Best Cleansing Milks in 2021
- Eau Thermale Avene Gentle Milk Moisturizing No Rinse Cleansing Lotion for Sensitive Skin
- Purlisse Blue Lotus 4-in-1 Cleansing Milk
- Juice Beauty Cleansing Milk
- JOWAÉ Soothing Cleansing Milk
- Avalon Organics Cleansing Milk, Intense Defense with Vitamin C
- Andalou Naturals Probiotic Cleansing Milk
- Garnier SkinActive Milk Face Wash with Rose Water
- Mario Badescu Cleansing Milk with Carnation Rice Oil
Best Cleansing Milks in 2021
Eau Thermale Avene Gentle Milk Moisturizing No Rinse Cleansing Lotion for Sensitive Skin
One of the best cleansing milks for acne-prone skin comes from a French manufacturer that uses thermal spring water in their skincare products. It’s non-comedogenic and soap-free to prevent breakouts and irritation.
This is not the typical drugstore cleanser, but rather a premium face wash found in European pharmacies. Trust us when we say there are no cheap products sold there. (If you want a discount cleansing milk in Europe you have to go to a supermarket instead).
First, the mineral-rich spring water and hyaluronic acid rehydrate and soothe the skin. Then mineral oil dissolves makeup and loosens impurities so that you can sweep them away when you rinse.
It also contains vitamin E, a natural antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals that cause premature aging.
Massage a dab into dry skin and watch as mascara and foundation melt. Follow up with lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean towel. The skin should be smooth and supple after only one use. Use it day and night to say goodbye to dry patches and enjoy a dewy complexion.
- Dissolves makeup and grime without stripping the skin dry
- Features moisturizers like hyaluronic acid and mineral spring water
- Also contains antioxidant vitamin E to keep the skin young
- Contains mineral oil and an artificial fragrance, however, the formula is said to be hypoallergenic
Purlisse Blue Lotus 4-in-1 Cleansing Milk
Here is a cleansing milk from an American brand with Asian and European influences. It contains no sulfates, parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals, or mineral oil. Instead, it removes makeup and impurities with plant proteins and oils.
It has an unusual ingredient called blue lotus that reduces inflammation and combats premature aging. It works alongside white tea which guards against damage from environmental pollution. There’s also amino acid-rich soy milk that keeps the skin elastic. Lastly, oat extract is soothing and moisturizing to sensitive skin.
Unlike some cleansing milks, this one is best to use on damp skin. Users say there’s no foam or strong fragrance. Instead, it melts makeup and leaves the skin soft and smooth. A dime-sized dab can cleanse the entire face, which means a tube lasts about two to three months.
- Gentle formula that removes makeup, leaving the skin smooth and soft
- No harsh ingredients like petrochemicals, parabens, or mineral oil
- Infused with nutrients from white tea, soy, blue lotus, and oats
- Not as inexpensive as some options
Juice Beauty Cleansing Milk
What if we told you that this isn’t just cleansing milk, but also makeup remover and shaving cream for sensitive skin? It’s packed with plant-based ingredients, many of which are organic. There are no parabens, sulfates, or mineral oil in the bottle.
The formula is suitable for all skin types, even acne-prone, and especially good for dry skin. It does more than wash away impurities. It also tones the skin and moisturizes without causing redness or clogging pores.
If you’re familiar with the benefits that plant oils provide, you’ll recognize these names: grapeseed, neroli, and sesame. For example, grapeseed contains resveratrol, full of antioxidants for younger-looking skin.
Furthermore, chamomile and calendula calm the skin while vitamins B5, C, and E keep it healthy.
Reviewers say it takes a little extra to dissolve long-wear makeup, but it works well with a little massaging. After rinsing, the skin is smooth and supple. The subtle fragrance smells like apples.
- Plant-based formula packed with organic nutrients for healthy skin
- Dissolves makeup and leaves the skin smooth and supple
- Excellent for dry skin and gentle enough for sensitive complexions
- Subtle apple fragrance
- Not as effective for waterproof makeup
JOWAÉ Soothing Cleansing Milk
Despite the name, this Korean cleansing milk is made in France. Like other products from this company, it gets the job done without lots of unnecessary fuss. There’s no strong fragrance and no need to rinse. Just use a cotton pad to wipe off makeup.
The dermatologist-tested formula is 96% natural and mild enough for sensitive skin. Feel free to use it twice a day to prevent the dryness that other face washes may cause.
Two of the featured ingredients are Imperial Peony and lumiphenols, a potent source of antioxidants.
Users say it’s extremely gentle and a pleasure to use.
- 96% natural formula mild enough for sensitive skin
- No rinsing required and a very light fragrance
- Infused with antioxidants
- Not a vegan product as it contains beeswax
Avalon Organics Cleansing Milk, Intense Defense with Vitamin C
Here’s one of the best cleansing milks for pigmentation. If you’re dealing with dark spots from photoaging, it helps diminish them with vitamin C and white tea. The formula also helps prevent fine lines and signs of aging by neutralizing damaging free radicals on the skin.
The botanical formula is free from GMOs, artificial colors and fragrances, sulfates, and parabens. Seventy percent of it is certified organic. It’s also vegan and cruelty-free.
The natural fragrance smells like oranges. The creamy texture leaves the skin clean and smooth.
However, if you have sensitive skin that tends to tingle when exposed to citrus, this product may cause redness and irritation. Fortunately, the brand offers an alternative cleanser without citrus ingredients.
- Helps diminish discoloration with vitamin C and white tea
- GMO-free formula is 70% certified organic, vegan, and cruelty-free
- No parabens, sulfates, artificial fragrances, or dyes
- Perky orange aroma
- May sting and irritate sensitive skin
Andalou Naturals Probiotic Cleansing Milk
As science learns about the benefits of probiotics, this brand is using cutting-edge research to boost the skin’s own defenses against aging and pollution. They incorporate stem cells from fruit to defy the aging process.
The formula features probiotics, resveratrol, and Coenzyme Q10 to strengthen the skin and revitalized complexion. It also has borage and apricot oil to dissolve impurities and makeup without causing dryness.
The ingredients are non-GMO and vegan. The majority are certified organic, coming from Fair Trade and sustainable sources. Obviously, the cleanser has no sulfates, parabens, silicone, or gluten.
Reviewers praise the cleansing milk for refreshing their skin and helping repair it. Although it’s not very effective against long-wear makeup, it’s ideal for leaving the skin calm, hydrated, and soothed.
- Probiotic formula with 70% organic ingredients from Fair Trade sources
- Refreshes and calms the skin, revitalizing the complexion
- Leaves the face hydrated and smooth, very helpful for dry skin
- No sulfates, parabens, silicone, or gluten
- Surprisingly inexpensive when compared to competitors with similar products
- Not as effective for removing waterproof makeup
Garnier SkinActive Milk Face Wash with Rose Water
We were asked about the best drugstore cleansing milk. The answer comes down to sensitive skin. Although this one is recommended for susceptible complexions and all skin types, it contains salicylic acid and an artificial fragrance which might not be helpful for persons with rosacea. Garnier also makes a micellar milk face wash that we recommend in the place of this one for sensitive skin.
However, if you’re on the lookout for an inexpensive cleansing milk to try, and you don’t mind the rosy fragrance, this one works quite well. It feels soothing on the skin and leaves it supple and soft, never dry or tight.
Furthermore, the ingredients are 96% naturally-derived and it contains no parabens, sulfates, silicone, or artificial colors.
For best results, apply it to dry skin, then rinse with lukewarm water. Users say the rose scent smells pleasant and natural.
- 96% naturally-derived ingredients with no sulfates, parabens, or artificial colors
- Soothing formula removes grime and leaves the skin comfortable
- Soft rose fragrance
- Some ingredients may irritate very sensitive skin
Mario Badescu Cleansing Milk with Carnation Rice Oil
Sometimes it’s a hassle to wash our faces at night when we are tired and don’t feel like taking the extra time or splashing in water. This cleansing milk is the perfect solution. It can be wiped off with a tissue or cotton pad – there’s no need for rinsing.
What’s more, it’s a very simple formula with only seven ingredients. The primary miracle workers are rice and carnation oils that melt the makeup and moisturize the skin. Rice oil by itself has plenty of antioxidants to ward off premature aging.
Yes, we are aware that it contains methylparaben, the last ingredient. At this point, the FDA still recognizes this as a safe and effective preservative. It’s also the least offensive if you research the EWG Skin Deep database.
This cleansing milk is perfect for dry, sensitive skin as it doesn’t dehydrate it, unlike a foaming face wash might. It’s quick to use and can practically double as a moisturizer when you can barely keep your eyes open.
- Skin-conditioning cleanser with rice and carnation oils
- Removes makeup without stripping moisture
- Simple, no-rinse formula has only seven ingredients
- Contains methylparaben as a preservative
If foaming face washes and other harsh cleansers are leaving your face dry and irritated, you need cleansing milk. There’s no need to strip all the oil and moisture from the skin to get clean.
The best cleansing milks take off makeup and remove grime gently. Some require rinsing, but others wipe off with a tissue or a cotton pad. They leave the skin supple, calm, and soft without dry spots or a tight feeling.
We hope our reviews helped you find the best makeup cleanser for your needs today. If so, we’d love to hear about your experience with it. Please feel free to leave us a comment below.