We hate it when our makeup cracks, flakes, and emphasizes every line. Having a complexion like the Sahara desert is a bummer unless we use the proper tools. One of our secrets to success isn’t a better moisturizer or a more hydrating foundation. Instead, it’s the best setting spray for dry skin.
We’ve tried using matte setting spray and it’s a disaster. A person with dry skin really needs a dewy setting spray. Check out our top picks below:
|The Best Setting Spray for Dry Skin||Why We Love Them|
|Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist||
|NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Makeup Setting Spray - Dewy Finish||
|Milani Make It Dewy Setting Spray 3 in 1- Hydrate + Illuminate + Set||
|L'Oreal Paris Makeup LUMI Shake and Glow Dew Mist||
|MAKE UP FOR EVER Mist & Fix Make-Up Setting Spray||
|FENTY Beauty What it Dew Makeup Refreshing Spray||
|Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray||
|Catrice | Prime & Fine Illuminating Dewy Glow Spray||
|Glo Skin Beauty Hydration Mist||
- 1 How to get the most from setting spray for dry skin
- 2 Best Setting Sprays for Dry Skin in 2023
- 2.1 Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist
- 2.2 NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Makeup Setting Spray – Dewy Finish
- 2.3 Milani Make It Dewy Setting Spray 3 in 1- Hydrate + Illuminate + Set
- 2.4 L’Oreal Paris Makeup LUMI Shake and Glow Dew Mist
- 2.5 MAKE UP FOR EVER Mist & Fix Make-Up Setting Spray
- 2.6 FENTY Beauty What it Dew Makeup Refreshing Spray
- 2.7 Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray
- 2.8 Catrice | Prime & Fine Illuminating Dewy Glow Spray
- 2.9 Glo Skin Beauty Hydration Mist
- 3 Conclusion
How to get the most from setting spray for dry skin
It’s the final step once you finished all your other makeup. If you haven’t tried setting spray before, you’re going to love what it does for you. It doesn’t just extend the makeup’s wear time. It also helps it looks smooth and settled on dry skin. In other words, it makes foundation look more natural and dewy.
In fact, if you mist your brush or sponge before using it to apply makeup, it’s likely to go on easier and it will last longer.
Before you use your setting spray, check the directions. Most brands ask you to shake the bottle before spraying it. Then hold the bottle approximately 8 inches away from your face and close your eyes. Spritz at least three times making an X or zigzag pattern. There, no more cakey makeup!
Best Setting Sprays for Dry Skin in 2023
Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist
You don’t have to use it as setting spray. This mist will refresh your face any time. Store it in the fridge during the summertime and you’ll see what we mean. Just shake it before using it.
What makes this setting spray perfect for dry skin? It starts with a hydrating base of glycerin and squalane to attract plenty of moisture.
Then, it has silicone and botanical oils that leave the skin silken. The formula softens and illuminates, leaving the complexion youthful and glowing. (By the way, it prevents makeup from caking and cracking).
While you wear it, the spray turns back time with a blend of Japanese anti-aging superfoods. Nutrients from green tea, algae, and rice are healthy treats for your skin.
Lastly, the brand donates to Room to Read to support girls’ education throughout Africa and Asia.
- Prevents makeup from cracking and caking
- Refreshes the complexion with potent moisturizers and anti-aging botanicals
- Silky texture that leaves the skin renewed and youthful
- Pricey, but worth it
NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Makeup Setting Spray – Dewy Finish
NYX makes more than one type of setting spray, so be sure to get the Dewy Finish for dry skin. Like all products from this brand, it’s cruelty-free and accessibly priced.
It works with all makeup, from foundation to eyeshadow. Try it if you have combination skin because it softens the cheeks without making the T-zone oilier.
Users say they love it because it makes their face glowy and young. It’s especially recommended for mature skin.
The ingredients are straightforward with no frilly extras.
- Ideal for both dry and combination skin
- Sets all types of makeup from foundation to eyeshadow
- Leaves the complexion smooth and glowing
- Affordably priced and cruelty-free
- Some with very sensitive skin may take issue with the use of the preservative phenoxyethanol
Milani Make It Dewy Setting Spray 3 in 1- Hydrate + Illuminate + Set
This brand started in East LA and they understand how to work with diverse skin types and colors. Competitively priced, this setting spray will lock in makeup for up to sixteen hours. It prevents smudging, caking, and creasing.
Moreover, it feels refreshing when you spray it. It adds a bit of illumination but no sparkle. Part of that’s due to the caffeine in it which stimulates blood flow.
Happily, the formula is certified vegan.
Take note, however, that the spray can be a little forceful when it comes out of the bottle. You might want to test it on your arm before spritzing it on your face the first time.
Users say it has a subtle floral scent that fades quickly as it dries. The reviews are full of testimonials where someone wore it in hot, humid weather and had their makeup stay put all day.
- Refreshing and illuminating for the skin
- Prevents smudging and creasing for up to sixteen hours
- Pleasant scent that fades once it dries
- Certified vegan
- Those with sensitive skin should check the label – we saw phenoxyethanol and an artificial fragrance
L’Oreal Paris Makeup LUMI Shake and Glow Dew Mist
L’Oreal makes more than one type of setting spray, so make sure you grab the Glow Dew Mist. It’s appropriate for bare skin when you need a pick me up. Furthermore, it can be used as a primer before makeup.
That’s right, this is a three-in-one product that does triple duty as a primer, setting spray, and refreshing mist. (Yes, you can store it in the fridge. Just remember to shake it before spraying it). Also, try putting it on your brush or sponge before blending foundation and it makes the process easier.
Although it contains alcohol, ingredients like coconut juice, coconut oil, glycerin, and vitamin E provide plenty of moisture. There’s even a touch of vitamin C for added glow.
Users say it comes out in a fine mist that smells like cucumbers. It softens the texture of the makeup but doesn’t seem to extend the wear time and the resistance to transfer as much as some of the competition.
- Cool and refreshing, emerges in a very fine mist
- Features coconut oil, coconut juice, vitamin C, and moisturizers for a dewy appearance
- Can be used as primer, setting spray, and refresher
- Not as good at preventing transfer and extending wear time as some sprays
MAKE UP FOR EVER Mist & Fix Make-Up Setting Spray
Let’s take a risk and look at a setting spray for all skin types. Could this one work on dry skin, too?
First, it promises to keep makeup looking fresh for up to twelve hours. It says that it’s sweat-proof and rub-resistant.
Users seem to agree. It prevents the need for touchups in the middle of the day. Although it’s not as hydrating as some brands, it does have a moisturizing formula that leaves the skin silky. It also increases oxygen to leave the complexion radiant.
The biggest caveat is to remember to apply it before doing mascara if your mascara isn’t waterproof.
- Suitable for all skin types including dry skin
- Extends makeup wear time up to twelve hours
- Makes makeup resistant to rubbing and sweating
- Light dose of hydration; increases radiance
- Those with sensitive skin should check the label
FENTY Beauty What it Dew Makeup Refreshing Spray
Rihanna’s brand, Fenty Beauty, makes both mattifying and moisturizing setting sprays. The dewy spray doubles as a primer for makeup. Like all of their products, it’s cruelty-free.
It smells like roses and dries quickly. You won’t know you’ve used it except for the fact that your makeup will look better for longer than it ever did before.
Try the spray on bare skin if you just need a pick-me-up during the day. Extracts of cornflower and borage will help maintain the skin’s moisture levels.
- Doubles as a primer and can aid in makeup application
- Rose-scented and rapid-drying
- Extends makeup wear time and gives it a smoother appearance
- Hydrates with cornflower and borage
- Check the label for allergens if you have sensitive skin
Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray
You’ve heard so much about it. This award-winning makeup spray is used by a lot of beauty influencers. But is it appropriate for dry skin? All we can say is your mileage may vary.
It’s described as suitable for all skin types. In fact, 88% of the participants in a weeklong study said that it worked well. Those participants included persons with dry and combination skin.
On the bright side, it’s oil-free which is good news for acne-prone skin. It can extend all types of makeup wear for up to sixteen hours. It will keep eye makeup, concealer, and so on resistant to sweating and smudging.
- Maximum performance from an award-winning setting spray
- Keeps makeup smudge-free for up to sixteen hours
- Oil-free formula protects acne-prone complexions
- Described as suitable for all skin types
- We bet you can guess what we’re going to say – check the label if you have sensitive skin
Catrice | Prime & Fine Illuminating Dewy Glow Spray
This setting spray has shimmer. When they say it illuminates, it’s not an exaggeration. It’s not glitter but rather a pleasing glow of radiance from the mica and silica.
What’s more, it’s a primer. When you use it as primer and fixing spray, it ensures a flawless finish that lasts for hours.
Although it has an unusual fragrance, it dries quickly. Happily, it’s vegan and cruelty-free. There are no alcohols or parabens, either.
One reviewer provides a pro tip. She recommends putting a dab on a pinky finger and tapping a blemish (like a wrinkle) to make it disappear.
- Vegan, cruelty-free, with no alcohol or parabens
- Adds shimmer with mica and silica for a radiant glow
- Doubles as a primer and fixing spray
- Not everyone loves the scent
Glo Skin Beauty Hydration Mist
If you like mineral foundation but hate looking powdery, try this mist. Use it as primer and setting spray to end up with a natural appearance and plenty of glow.
It’s also appropriate to use on bare skin as it’s packed with vitamins and moisturizers. It features hyaluronic acid, chamomile, myrrh, and shea butter to keep the skin in top condition.
The formula is more nourishing and mild than most setting sprays. It has no alcohol or parabens. Plus, it’s cruelty-free and made in the USA.
- Packed with vitamins, moisturizers, and botanicals for healthy skin
- Can be used as primer, setting spray, and a refresher for bare skin
- Made in USA without alcohol or parabens; cruelty-free
If you’re dissatisfied with your makeup’s appearance and performance, you probably need a moisturizing setting spray. It makes all the difference on dry skin.
Fixing spray extends the makeup’s wear time and keeps it looking fresh. It also leaves the complexion dewy.
If you’re happy with your new setting spray, we’d love to hear about it. Feel free to leave us a comment below.
Leave a Reply